Is Nassau really that bad?

bogofman

IMO it is not that bad.

I have been to Nassau many many times over the years on air/land vacations and loved it there. The beaches and swimming in Bahamas is tops in my opinion. Great food there too.

I had not been there in about 20 years though, and only last November went there first time on a cruise. Of course I got off the ship. I had to get a Nassau T shirt in my new and updated size, lots has changed in 20 years:D, as well as shop for some of my favorite Bahamian grocery items.

Only difference I can tell from 20 years ago to now? Back then I heard the taxi drivers yell " hey sweet thing..need a taxi?"....last November, it was " Yo Mamma need a taxi?"....LOLOL:D:D:D:D

I still love the Bahamas, and yes Nassau too:)

• 4 weeks later...
Do not make eye contact

Don't let them see fear

I don't know how to do both those things at once!

My normal attitude in situations like that is to walk purposefully like I know where I'm going. I don't stare directly at individuals, but keep my head up, with normal sweeping glances around the place, while listening for the noise of people coming up behind me.

I'm going to Nassau for the first time (hopefully) next year. I've twice been booked, and twice been diverted elsewhere, so I'm kind of looking forward to it.

Couple of quick questions.

I see mention of people selling drugs. I presume that's illegal there, and only crazy people would accept?

With what sounds like a big crush of people I'd have expected pickpocketing to be the main crime, but see mentions above of what sound like muggings. Are both equally prevalent, or is one more "popular" than the other? (Vote for your favourite crime!)

For a first time visitor, are there any "must see" things in Nassau?

I enjoy snorkelling (sadly can't go diving any more), and have been looking at a few trips where you can do a bit of snorkelling, a bit of beach lolling, and "encounters" with dolphins/sea lions etc. Does anyone know if any of the wild sea animal encounters are "ethical", or if you sign up for one of these kind of things, are you automatically foisting yourself on captive wild animals?

Will be stopping at Nassau next year on a repo, is Nassau really as bad as most suggest?

I keep seeing " I won't be getting off at Nassau" comments

is it really that bad?

why keep going on cruises to Nassau? if that's the case.

No idea presently, but will try to remember to come back here after our cruise visit in November and tell you what we think after that. :)

Having just been in Nassau the past week, I can say I didn't feel scared at any time staying in the shopping center areas, we did go off to side roads a little and still was not horrible, never realised it was so built up. It was hot there and few stores had good a/c. There were also 5 ships in port, Oasis being one of the ships.

IMO it is not that bad.

I have been to Nassau many many times over the years on air/land vacations and loved it there. The beaches and swimming in Bahamas is tops in my opinion. Great food there too.

I had not been there in about 20 years though, and only last November went there first time on a cruise. Of course I got off the ship. I had to get a Nassau T shirt in my new and updated size, lots has changed in 20 years:D, as well as shop for some of my favorite Bahamian grocery items.

Only difference I can tell from 20 years ago to now? Back then I heard the taxi drivers yell " hey sweet thing..need a taxi?"....last November, it was " Yo Mamma need a taxi?"....LOLOL:D:D:D:D

I still love the Bahamas, and yes Nassau too:)

I don't think it's that bad either, not as bad as Jamaica. I go to Nassau at least once a year and never had a problem there. But, if a person is worried about the crime there, they should just check the local papers.

Jamaica was my worst experience with locals and crime/drugs and feeling unsafe.

Nassau has been enjoyable all 5x in the past couple years, most recently in April.

I am sure stats from any large American or Canadian city would be the same or worse than Nassau.

Edited by monctonguy

• 3 weeks later...

We were only there once, but never felt unsafe. We walked around the area near the ship, visited the pirate museum and then hired a cab. We saw beautiful Cable beach, among other areas. Cab dropped us off at Ardastra Gardens and Zoo where we fed parrots and watched a flamingo show. Same cab picked us up later and drove us back to the dock.

We enjoyed our last stop in Nassau. We booked a snorkel trip with Blue Hole Watersports - outstanding outfit - check TripAdvisor - some of the most beautiful underwater seascape we have ever seen.

We met the tour at the British Colonial Hilton, a beautiful resort and an easy walk from the pier. On our stroll back, we talked to some of the vendors selling sea shells and small paintings on the Embarcadero. No high pressure; they were courteous and friendly people. We got a little custom painting for the friend taking care of our dog with her name inscribed.

When I mentioned to the painter that I was looking for conch fritters, he gestured to a little snack shop across the main street with an open air order window. Seemed to be all local people there. I felt a bit shy, but went over and asked the last person in line if this was the line to order. She immediately stepped aside and told all the other people to let me go to the front. There was an older gentleman shooting the breeze with the young lady taking orders -- they all told him to move so that I could get up to the window. I thought it was a gracious way to treat a visitor - one of our nicest experiences.

We have also gone to Atlantis on a prior trip - not our thing, just like a big Vegas hotel - I know others really like it.

Nassau is not all good or all bad. I respect the crime reports already mentioned. We stick to daylight and the most touristic areas and activities. We avoided the open air market because we had heard that it was a high pressure environment. In our experience, you can have a great port stop there for a few hours.

• 2 weeks later...
We were only there once, but never felt unsafe. We walked around the area near the ship, visited the pirate museum and then hired a cab. We saw beautiful Cable beach, among other areas. Cab dropped us off at Ardastra Gardens and Zoo where we fed parrots and watched a flamingo show. Same cab picked us up later and drove us back to the dock.

It sounds like we had a similar day to yours- and never felt unsafe or overly badgered to buy things (just the normal amount of badgering one expects near a port.)

We walked to the Pirate Museum, then walked to Ardastra and toured it. Then we walked back to port.

Gorgeous day.

• 2 weeks later...

To those that have walked to Ardastra, the pirates museum etc., how far are we talking? Its hard to tell from the various maps I've been able to find.

I'm going there in October and none of the excursions offered by the cruise line really appeal to me. I would prefer to save my money, walk around a little and enjoy the rest of the day on the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

We've been to Nassau many times, usually staying at Atlantis. I find that everyone is amazingly nice (including off-resort) and have never felt unsafe. We have walked all over Nassau and paradise island and have been fine. All the vendors are great and not pushy at all. Very friendly too. Have had excellent food at the fish fry, definitely worth the walk or a quick cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't find Nassau street vendors any different than the ones I've encountered in Mexico (off resort while traveling). Actually I think Belize vendors were way worse than Nassau.

Having said that, I've walked around there once, without taking a tour, and will likely stay on the ship during my upcoming cruise. I am not a beach person and Atlantis does not appeal to me. I don't like chocolate so the Bahamas food tour doesn't make sense, although I am very tempted because of the other stops... Mostly I am looking forward to a ship day as my upcoming cruise does not have any sea days :)

I enjoyed seeing the attractions listed above as well as some random art gallery we just stumbled upon during our walk.. We walked down some shady looking tiny streets where we saw a storefront advertising various meds for sale to tourists... Didn't feel unsafe but we also did not have our kids with us. I had fun people watching and found restaurant service to be pleasant. So if you haven't been there - definitely go, you will have a good time.

PS: Oh yeah, the pirate museum is def. walkable from the ship. The time we were there the husband had two broken ribs and we still walked.

Edited by ZandZ

I found the vendors in that big market near the ship to be very aggressive. My husband jokes that that is the only time he's ever seen me get out of a shopping place so fast!

I found the vendors in that big market near the ship to be very aggressive. My husband jokes that that is the only time he's ever seen me get out of a shopping place so fast!

Aggressive how? I've never been, so I'm trying to figure of they're in your face, or just talk to you a lot, or actually touch you or if they get kind of angry. I'm OK with all of those except being touched - I don't react well to that :)

Aggressive how? I've never been, so I'm trying to figure of they're in your face, or just talk to you a lot, or actually touch you or if they get kind of angry. I'm OK with all of those except being touched - I don't react well to that :)

I've seen scattered reports of people coming up and trying to put jewelry on you. That kind of thing would make me twitchy too.

They weren't touching us, but they kept calling to us, trying to show us merchandise, asking questions about what size we needed, etc. I was looking for something for our granddaughter and just felt like I was being bombarded. If we were in one person's stall, someone from those around it would be competing for our attention. We haven't been to a lot of islands (yet!), but this market was the worst so far for that kind of selling. I know it's how they make their living, but it was hard to take.

They weren't touching us, but they kept calling to us, trying to show us merchandise, asking questions about what size we needed, etc. I was looking for something for our granddaughter and just felt like I was being bombarded. If we were in one person's stall, someone from those around it would be competing for our attention. We haven't been to a lot of islands (yet!), but this market was the worst so far for that kind of selling. I know it's how they make their living, but it was hard to take.

I'm OK with that kind of aggressiveness - selective deafness/headphones are great help :)