Special family dinner on Thanksgiving? Celebrity Reflection

the_dylaness

We are so excited to spend ten days with our children (who will be 7 and 4) on the Reflection for November, 2018.

Just found out today my mom and her husband are going to join us.

My husband's sister and her SO may come as well!

So, we're looking at at least 6 and possibly 8 for Thanksgiving.

I had a previous thread about Thanksgiving in the restaurants and it sounds like not a lot is available, which I understand given the variety of nationalities on board.

If we were to eat in our room or make previous arrangements some other way... how could we have a family thanksgiving meal?

We will have a Celebrity Suite and my mom and her husband in a Sky Suite if that makes a difference.

We are so excited about this trip and really hope X can make our Thanksgiving dinner super special.

We are so excited to spend ten days with our children (who will be 7 and 4) on the Reflection for November, 2018.

Just found out today my mom and her husband are going to join us.

My husband's sister and her SO may come as well!

So, we're looking at at least 6 and possibly 8 for Thanksgiving.

I had a previous thread about Thanksgiving in the restaurants and it sounds like not a lot is available, which I understand given the variety of nationalities on board.

If we were to eat in our room or make previous arrangements some other way... how could we have a family thanksgiving meal?

We will have a Celebrity Suite and my mom and her husband in a Sky Suite if that makes a difference.

We are so excited about this trip and really hope X can make our Thanksgiving dinner super special.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

First of all, you and your Mom will be designated to dine in Luminae. They will probably, as well as the MDR have a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. So if all of you want to dine together, a Specialty Restaurant might be a good choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have sailed on three Thanksgivings. First of all, as you mentioned, it's an American holiday. Second of all, you're on a beautiful cruise ship. You're having your room cleaned, your meals cooked, you're visiting new ports with exciting things to do, everything aboard is done for you, and so that in itself is about as special as it gets.

There will be an attempt at making Thanksgiving meals on board. /Each venue will have something, but it's not going to be the same as your traditional homemade and Grandma's homemade dinner. It's not, so don't have expectations of many steaming dishes of mashed potatoes, beans, a fresh roasted turkey, etc. on a table and the whole family around. I wouldn't eat in the room. Get out in the public rooms and enjoy the ambiance of the ship and eat in a restaurant. If it's as important to you as it sounds, then eating 2' from your bed wouldn't be my idea of holiday meal.

In Luminae last year we had a few slices of turkey with some sweet potato puree around it, cranberry relish on the side and a few green beans. It was an *homage* to Thanksgiving. It was good but it was NOT what we'd have at home and we never expected we would. We had a similar thing once in Murano. Well one of us did. The other had steak.

The BEST thing you could do would be to make reservations in one of the specialty restaurants. If there is a chef's table and it's that night (we've done that too) it would be wonderful. Expensive but wine-paired and wonderful.

Enjoy your family and extended family on board. Have fun in the ports, enjoy your meals, and if traditional Thanksgiving food is *that* important to you, then go for it, but remember it's not what you have at home.

One year on vacation my DH and I had Thanksgiving dinner in a very small, quaint Chinese restaurant. Nothing about it was Thanksgiving. And you know what? It was wonderful. It's more about the family and the togetherness, not about actual turkey and actual pumpkin pie.

Have a great cruise!

First of all, you and your Mom will be designated to dine in Luminae. They will probably, as well as the MDR have a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. So if all of you want to dine together, a Specialty Restaurant might be a good choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes- we were thinking about Luminae delivery to our room. 4 and 7 year olds have a limited attention span and if they can spend some of the time sitting on the couch watching a movie it might make things more relaxed and pleasant for everyone... not sure if I want to take children that little to a specialty. Haven't done that... thoughts?

We have sailed on three Thanksgivings. First of all, as you mentioned, it's an American holiday. Second of all, you're on a beautiful cruise ship. You're having your room cleaned, your meals cooked, you're visiting new ports with exciting things to do, everything aboard is done for you, and so that in itself is about as special as it gets.

There will be an attempt at making Thanksgiving meals on board. /Each venue will have something, but it's not going to be the same as your traditional homemade and Grandma's homemade dinner. It's not, so don't have expectations of many steaming dishes of mashed potatoes, beans, a fresh roasted turkey, etc. on a table and the whole family around. I wouldn't eat in the room. Get out in the public rooms and enjoy the ambiance of the ship and eat in a restaurant. If it's as important to you as it sounds, then eating 2' from your bed wouldn't be my idea of holiday meal.

In Luminae last year we had a few slices of turkey with some sweet potato puree around it, cranberry relish on the side and a few green beans. It was an *homage* to Thanksgiving. It was good but it was NOT what we'd have at home and we never expected we would. We had a similar thing once in Murano. Well one of us did. The other had steak.

The BEST thing you could do would be to make reservations in one of the specialty restaurants. If there is a chef's table and it's that night (we've done that too) it would be wonderful. Expensive but wine-paired and wonderful.

Enjoy your family and extended family on board. Have fun in the ports, enjoy your meals, and if traditional Thanksgiving food is *that* important to you, then go for it, but remember it's not what you have at home.

One year on vacation my DH and I had Thanksgiving dinner in a very small, quaint Chinese restaurant. Nothing about it was Thanksgiving. And you know what? It was wonderful. It's more about the family and the togetherness, not about actual turkey and actual pumpkin pie.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks for all the info!

One of my favorite thanksgivings was spent in NYC with my mom- I was pregnant, getting ready to spend a week interviewing/trial run for a fellowship program, and she came up with me a few days in advance. We had a lovely dinner in an incredibly tasty, upscale Korean restaurant.

This time, though my kids and my mom's husband are pretty tradition oriented. In-room dining (we are in a Celebrity suite which has a separate-ish living area) would be great to keep the kids close by and entertained without annoying other passengers. I didn't know if a table (for 6 or 8) could be set up? I know it won't taste like my (or my moms') Thanksgiving and that's OK but we do have a couple traditionalists. I can eat anything for Thanksgiving and I am totally subscribed to the no cooking no cleaning aspect, but also with attention to those in our family who might want a more "typical" experience.

The CS on S class does not have a dining area. There is a large settee and a largish coffee table. The area comfortably will seat 3/4. The kids could watch a movie in the bedroom....Most CS guests who dine in suite will use the balcony....we snack dined 3 guests on the balcony and I would not want to try to serve 4+ out there....If upgrading is a possibility the RS has a dining table for six and wet bar area making in suite dining easy...

Luminae does not usually offer room service, if you order a meal from room service it will need to be from the MDR or off the standard room service menu.

My suggestion would be to invite your family to your suite pre dinner. Ask your butler to put champagne on ice (you get a bottle on boarding and could take up to two more on board). He will also arrange some pretty hors d'oeurves. Then speak to the Luminae M'D the day before and ask them to set a family table up for you (they will do this no problem). You will need to pay for any non suite guests. If you express your concern re the children's attention span they will let you pre order your meals to expedite service, hence, as you sit down starters will come quickly and they will serve your mains without too much wait....If your children are still coping, fine, if not take your deserts back to the room, put a movie on in the bedroom for the kids and phone your butler to serve coffee.

This way you can enjoy your suite, a nice meal and not over stretch your children's attention span.

Sincere best wishes for a great family cruise!

Edited by chemmo

Yes- we were thinking about Luminae delivery to our room. 4 and 7 year olds have a limited attention span and if they can spend some of the time sitting on the couch watching a movie it might make things more relaxed and pleasant for everyone... not sure if I want to take children that little to a specialty. Haven't done that... thoughts?

To be honest, I think you answered your own question. Just for a moment, leave the other passengers out of the equation and ask yourself this. From what I've read, dinner service in the specialty resturants is 2 hours plus. Do your children have the endurance to make it, or will you find yourself asking the wait staff to rush the meal?

My kids are 13 & 11 now, but my youngest was 9 when we took them to a high end steakhouse, but we knew they both could handle it. I'll never forget the looks we got from some of the other patrons when we first walked it. If you're certain they'd make it, I say do it, and don't worry about other passengers.

Just my 2 cents.

In room dining for dinner would be from the MDR menu.

The Luminae menu is not made available for delivery to your suite.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The CS on S class does not have a dining area. There is a large settee and a largish coffee table. The area comfortably will seat 3/4. The kids could watch a movie in the bedroom....Most CS guests who dine in suite will use the balcony....we snack dined 3 guests on the balcony and I would not want to try to serve 4+ out there....If upgrading is a possibility the RS has a dining table for six and wet bar area making in suite dining easy...

Luminae does not usually offer room service, if you order a meal from room service it will need to be from the MDR or off the standard room service menu.

My suggestion would be to invite your family to your suite pre dinner. Ask your butler to put champagne on ice (you get a bottle on boarding and could take up to two more on board). He will also arrange some pretty hors d'oeurves. Then speak to the Luminae M'D the day before and ask them to set a family table up for you (they will do this no problem). You will need to pay for any non suite guests. If you express your concern re the children's attention span they will let you pre order your meals to expedite service, hence, as you sit down starters will come quickly and they will serve your mains without too much wait....If your children are still coping, fine, if not take your deserts back to the room, put a movie on in the bedroom for the kids and phone your butler to serve coffee.

This way you can enjoy your suite, a nice meal and not over stretch your children's attention span.

Sincere best wishes for a great family cruise!

I do not know the answer to this question but are non-suite guests allowed in Luminae as paying customers or is Luminae completely restricted to the passengers who have paid for the privilege of dining there.

DON

I do not know the answer to this question but are non-suite guests allowed in Luminae as paying customers or is Luminae completely restricted to the passengers who have paid for the privilege of dining there.

DON

Suite guests can liaise with the M'D to invite guests. It is the suite guest who picks up the charge....

The M'D will know the busy times and sort accordingly. The M'D would use his discretion re the number of guests and frequency of non suite guests allowed in. As it is as expensive as a speciality many families and friends choose to 'meet up' in a speciality or the MDR.

Unless you are invited by a suite guest you can not book and pay for a meal in Luminae....Hope this answers what you were asking....

Everyone who is actually booked in our party is in a suite. If my sister in law and her SO come, I am not sure where they would be. For a special meal we would be happy to host them in Luminae if they choose a non-suite room.

Frankly, I am really disappointed that Luminae room service is not available. This was something I was really looking forward to; a great meal in our PJs, not worrying about the kids annoying other passengers or getting bored...

This will sound crass, but this cruise costs more (for just the four of us) than my car is worth. It is almost twice the price of what I spent to sail for 10 days on Crystal (admittedly with just two people); and that is much more of a luxury experience.

Add in the costs for my mom and her husband, we're looking at a year of college tuition.

I know Celebrity does not offer much in the way of a designated suite area with pools and everything like MSC and NCL for instance, and that is ok, but at these prices I would think room service from the suite restaurant seems like a reasonable expectation. What is Celebrity really offering with the suite experience? Also, I sense that Celebrity IS marketing at least somewhat to families, and those with little kids on a cruise ship know that good room service is a big part of making sailing with tiny ones easy! Why not treat your suite guests with a little TLC and offer room service from Luminae?

(To answer the next inevitable question; we chose Celebrity because I think our kids would be bored to death on Crystal and a room as large as a CS with a separate sleeping area on Crystal is not in our budget.)

I do appreciate the many varied responses and suggestions. The champagne party sounds like a fun idea.

I think at this time we'll probably do the champagne party then head to a pre-ordered meal at Luminae. From another thread I got the idea to purchase inexpensive Thanksgiving decorations in advance of the cruise and decorate the table myself, or with assistance from someone in Luminae beforehand, to surprise everyone. We'll start with appetizers while the kids are served their meals and desserts, and then maybe take them to the kids club if they so desire, while the adults enjoy the rest of the dinner.

We were in a suite on Reflection and on the 2nd chic night we opted for room service from the MDR. We dined on lobster tails, rack of lamb, caesar salad, escargots, etc. A phenomenal meal sitting in our jammies, watching a movie and enjoying our dinner. The food from the MDR menu was fantastic and we are planning on doing it again on our December cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This will sound crass, but this cruise costs more (for just the four of us) than my car is worth. It is almost twice the price of what I spent to sail for 10 days on Crystal (admittedly with just two people); and that is much more of a luxury experience.

Add in the costs for my mom and her husband, we're looking at a year of college tuition.

I know Celebrity does not offer much in the way of a designated suite area with pools and everything like MSC and NCL for instance, and that is ok, but at these prices I would think room service from the suite restaurant seems like a reasonable expectation. What is Celebrity really offering with the suite experience? Also, I sense that Celebrity IS marketing at least somewhat to families, and those with little kids on a cruise ship know that good room service is a big part of making sailing with tiny ones easy! Why not treat your suite guests with a little TLC and offer room service from Luminae?

I honestly don't think that Celebrity do make much effort on their present ships to attract the family market, they tend to leave that to RC.

RC have far more child friendly spaces and activities. They also have some really nice family and extended family suites...Look at an Aqua Theatre suite for just your immediate family or the presidential suite for you and extended family! Whilst initial costs can look high when you see what you get and how many guests are accommodated things look far more affordable. RC dining options from the suite dining area to the speciality restaurants are also less formal and more used to welcoming children than Celebrity. Just another suggestion....We tend to cruise mainly with Celebrity now but when our son was young RC was a favourite....

You are mid way in the suite class on Celebrity....the real perks kick in at the next level...(drinks, unlimited speciality dining, bar set up, minbar set up, laundry...). You are paying extra for a butler, access to Luminae and Michael's and a bigger suite....

If you are set on having a Luminae room in your meal I suggest you have a chat with your butler and ask him to liaise with the M'D....I don't think you could (or should owing to the additional work involved for staff) ask for this on a regular basis or for an extended party but as a 'one off' they may be willing to oblige. Nothing to loose by asking!

Finally you may be surprised how well your little ones cope at dinner....the staff in all restaurants really do make an effort. Hope you have a great family cruise!

Do not try dining in a Celebrity Suite on the Solstice Class ships. They are very tiny. The bedroom is walled off but it is very tight. If you are in port, the balcony would work for four. The living area with the L shaped sofa and coffee table is also small. It's suitable for coffee, drinks but not for eating a meal even breakfast.

We did once have a much larger balcony on the hump but our opened to the front of the ship so it was windy when we were underway. We now pay the premium for the Royal Suite but it is a substantial increase. You do get a dining area and an extra powder room.