Finding the group?

WrittenOnYourHeart

This is a silly question I know, but...

There has usually been a meeting/gathering announced in the cruise newsletter (names differ) that meets in one of the bar areas at night. I've either been with family or with a group doing its own thing, so I've never really gone. One year I did wander by the area, but there were several clumps and it was hard to figure out which clump would have been "mine". This year I'll be cruising solo, so it would be fun to check it out.

What has your experience been with these? Is there an easy way to find out if the clump of people is the one you're looking for? At least when I wandered by I didn't see any rainbow flag or anything. I know asking would be the easiest, but knowing that not everyone is accepting it could be uncomfortable at best if you asked the "wrong" clump.

Different cruise lines have different ways to let you know. Most post the location in the ship's daily news letter. On Cunard they have reserved area and a small sign to indicate it is for LGBT or FOD use. On HAL, they don't have signs and I usually ask the bar staff which group is for me; they generally know. I have also sat down and observed the area and usually can pick out a group with strangers approaching with the new people making introductions each time. Aside from that you have use your best guess.

Sometimes no one else shows up. But if there is a small group, it is often not too difficult. Gaydar helps. And sometimes it is easy to eliminate a group from who is there, like 3 obvious male/female couples. But you can always ask politely "Is the LGBT cocktail meetup?"

I agree with the others. Look for a sign. If no sign, ask the bar staff. Use your Gaydar; hopefully it's working. If the bar staff have no clue, ask the clump yourself if they are LGBT. I'm sure the PAX won't bite or make you walk the plank. The most awkward thing that can happen is for someone to ask "What's LGBT?" In my experience, it's pretty darn easy to figure out what is going on and whether there is an LGBT meet-up going on, or not. If there is nothing happening, find something else fun to do.

On Norwegian, there isn't typically a sign but they usually hold the get together in one of the less populated bars so we have never had any trouble identifying the clump that we belong to. And even if you end up with the wrong clump maybe you will make some new friends or if you are really good, then you might end up with a toaster oven?:rolleyes: