Recommend pre-cruise restaurants in Ft. Lauderdale

Ugaaucruisers

This is such a great thread for our visitors!

Have either of you tried the Cuban place on Andrews that is almost all the way to Sunrise? They have a walk up coffee window and supposedly have the best Cuban in all of South Florida. It's on the left as you are going north.

I am not familiar with that place I don't think? I am thinking of the little building on the corner of 4th Ave north of Sunrise, just around the corner from Home Depot. It's a tiny building with hand-painted designs on it. I am not a huge lover of Cuban food, but I do love a good colada!

I am not familiar with that place I don't think? I am thinking of the little building on the corner of 4th Ave north of Sunrise, just around the corner from Home Depot. It's a tiny building with hand-painted designs on it. I am not a huge lover of Cuban food, but I do love a good colada!

Yes, that sounds about right. It is on the south side of Sunrise.

You ladies always have such great info. How about any restaurant recommendations on Las Olas? Our plane arrives around noon on 5/17 & we are staying at Hyatt Place. Thought we might go to Las Olas to explore.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You ladies always have such great info. How about any restaurant recommendations on Las Olas? Our plane arrives around noon on 5/17 & we are staying at Hyatt Place. Thought we might go to Las Olas to explore.

Blue Herons and I like Sweet Nectar on Las Olas. It's truly unique with mostly outdoor dining!

There are a bunch of American / German type restaurants in the area, but Cypress Nook in south Pompano IMO has them all beat. One of the best breakfast spots out there and they have this massive Schweinehaxe they serve for dinner . . . it's seriously some of the best food I've ever eaten to go with that red cabbage.

They've been there forever for breakfast and only a few years back started dinner. Small, small place with the bathrooms outside, but it has that "at home" feel and the people are great. Sometimes they get a little too crowded and they'll offer people to sit "European style" and have dinner together.

Us cruisers should be used to that tho :D

Fritz and Franz is more commercial, for those who want that photoshopped German feel . . . good food though. Ambry is more authenic but IMO a little pricey, although the food is pretty good. Not a huge fan of Old Heidelberg . . it is only ok in comparison to these other restaurants.

Edited by kdawg954

Blue Herons and I like Sweet Nectar on Las Olas. It's truly unique with mostly outdoor dining!

I LOVE Sweet Nectar and chances are good you'll see me at the bar at Happy Hour! Southern Tapas.

I also love Royal Pig, Big City Tavern, Lobster Bar, Timpano, JohnnyVs, Yolo, Café Europa, Roccos Tacos, Cheesecake Factory and Gran Forno. Right off Las Olas, Mortons and Foxy Brown.

All of the restaurants on Las Olas have really good happy hours.

There are a bunch of American / German type restaurants in the area, but Cypress Nook in south Pompano IMO has them all beat. One of the best breakfast spots out there and they have this massive Schweinehaxe they serve for dinner . . . it's seriously some of the best food I've ever eaten to go with that red cabbage.

They've been there forever for breakfast and only a few years back started dinner. Small, small place with the bathrooms outside, but it has that "at home" feel and the people are great. Sometimes they get a little too crowded and they'll offer people to sit "European style" and have dinner together.

Us cruisers should be used to that tho :D

Fritz and Franz is more commercial, for those who want that photoshopped German feel . . . good food though. Ambry is more authenic but IMO a little pricey, although the food is pretty good. Not a huge fan of Old Heidelberg . . it is only ok in comparison to these other restaurants.

Cypress Nook looks good...I'll have to go there when I'm not on a diet, LOL!

We will be there for 3 days before our cruise in November. We are staying at the Pier 66. I don't want to bother with a car this time, we do like the water taxi. Hubby likes to go to the oyster bars that have the buckets of oysters that they shuck for you right at the bar, we've gone to places like that outside of Orlando and there's a ton of them in New Orleans. Any thing like that in Ft. Lauderdale? We are from New England, so plenty of lobster & haddock up here, but not much in the way of oysters for sure! Last year we went to Coconuts and enjoyed that a lot, but I'd like to surprise him with an oyster bar if there's one to take him too

We will be there for 3 days before our cruise in November. We are staying at the Pier 66. I don't want to bother with a car this time, we do like the water taxi. Hubby likes to go to the oyster bars that have the buckets of oysters that they shuck for you right at the bar, we've gone to places like that outside of Orlando and there's a ton of them in New Orleans. Any thing like that in Ft. Lauderdale? We are from New England, so plenty of lobster & haddock up here, but not much in the way of oysters for sure! Last year we went to Coconuts and enjoyed that a lot, but I'd like to surprise him with an oyster bar if there's one to take him too

GB Oyster Bar is connected to Coconuts. Southport Raw Bar is about a mile from the Pier 66 and they might have what you want.

I LOVE Sweet Nectar and chances are good you'll see me at the bar at Happy Hour! Southern Tapas.

I also love Royal Pig, Big City Tavern, Lobster Bar, Timpano, JohnnyVs, Yolo, Café Europa, Roccos Tacos, Cheesecake Factory and Gran Forno. Right off Las Olas, Mortons and Foxy Brown.

Royal run & BlueHerons, thanks for the suggestions on Las Olas. Sweet Nectar looks great. We love tapas places & having "young" adult children we love to try new things.

The place he likes in Orlando is called Lee and Ricks Oyster Bar. They have a bar that they shuck your bucket of oysters right in front of you, they have pics on their web site. Not my cup of tea, but he really enjoys going there

If you like to see your oysters shucked you can definitely watch at the Southport Raw Bar. You would need to sit at the end of the bar closest to the shucking table which is to the left if you are looking directly at the bar.

Royal run & BlueHerons, thanks for the suggestions on Las Olas. Sweet Nectar looks great. We love tapas places & having "young" adult children we love to try new things.

Sorry Royalcruz....I think another case of auto correct!

staying at ft.lauderdale hilton beach resort, heard about cocoonuts that looks interesting however I didnt see crablegs on their menu my daughter thisis her request anywhere else have crab legs all u can eat and steaks that u can recommend really appreciate all you alls help thank you janet:)

staying at ft.lauderdale hilton beach resort, heard about cocoonuts that looks interesting however I didnt see crablegs on their menu my daughter thisis her request anywhere else have crab legs all u can eat and steaks that u can recommend really appreciate all you alls help thank you janet:)

Coconuts does something called Scoobies with crab legs. It's usually on the specials board.

For all you can eat snow crab legs, check out Catfish Deweys and Rustic Inn, but I don't know if they serve steak. If you don't have a car, be aware that these are in Fort Lauderdale but are not in the neighborhood where you are staying.

Truluck has all you can eat stone crabs Monday nights in the winter (that's when they are in season), as well as steak all year long. In season, stone crabs are served every night but not all you can eat. It is expensive there.

Steak 954 next door to the Hilton in the W also has steak and stone crabs in season, but it's even more expensive than Truluck.

I've been going to Village Pump for 25 yrs and never heard of that special, lol! I do like eating breakfast at their Village Grill next door. They are open New Years day when everywhere else is closed.

Check your coupon mailings for BOGO lunch at 101 Ocean Mon-Fri.

I'm not sure how authentic Picollo is, but the food is excellent. The most amazing little Italian restaurant is Romantico on Atlantic Blvd in Pompano...They have a big wheel of hard cheese and they swirl fettucine inside to make a delicious alfredo-like pasta. We share it as a first course. They only have a few tables so you need a reservation. The Snapper Frangelico at Zuckerellos is yummy and they give you hot bread and garlic dip; their prices are very reasonable. I don't know how those German restaurants survive as they aren't busy.

Romantico sounds fabulous; we will have to check it out! I have been to Gianni's a number of times, but it is always so crowded and so loud (especially in high season).

Edited by brunello22

I love the happy hour at Timpano - 1/2 price house wines and 1/2 price appies!

I've been going to Village Pump for 25 yrs and never heard of that special, lol! I do like eating breakfast at their Village Grill next door. They are open New Years day when everywhere else is closed.

Check your coupon mailings for BOGO lunch at 101 Ocean Mon-Fri.

I'm not sure how authentic Picollo is, but the food is excellent. The most amazing little Italian restaurant is Romantico on Atlantic Blvd in Pompano...They have a big wheel of hard cheese and they swirl fettucine inside to make a delicious alfredo-like pasta. We share it as a first course. They only have a few tables so you need a reservation. The Snapper Frangelico at Zuckerellos is yummy and they give you hot bread and garlic dip; their prices are very reasonable. I don't know how those German restaurants survive as they aren't busy.

Some friends also told us about La Buca in Pompano Beach. It is another tiny restaurant and mamma runs the kitchen - my kinda place! On the list ...

Well, I finally got over to S3 in the Hilton. After a long walk in the area, we stopped in there for a drink before going home at 5 PM. The good...There was live entertainment, a modern reggae soloist. We ordered 2 glasses of wine and a snack plate of marinated olives and almonds, and enjoyed it over a stunning ocean view. The wine list has a lot of choices by the glass, the pours are generous, and the wine/bottle prices are very reasonable for a touristy area. The bad and ugly...The staff are not friendly except amongst themselves. In fact, they are cold and avoid eye contact. We sat at the bar so I only observed the dozen staff in that area...maybe the table servers are a tad warmer, but I really don't appreciate being snubbed by servers. This seems to be common at hotel bars...yuck.

Also I found out about the construction on the floors below the pool...they are building oceanview lounge/event space.

Edited by royalcruz

Royal Cruise recommended Catfish Dewey's for all you can eat crab legs . . . I have to 2nd and 3rd that choice lol . . . it's not a fancy place at all, but man if you just want to do some good crab eating and enjoy some really good hush puppies . . . this is your spot. I believe they do this on Thursday's and Sundays . . . but you can also call ahead as there are times they do this everyday. $29.99 . . . can't be beat. They also have some awesome lightly fried/grilled catfish. They probably serve steak, but you don't want to get steak at a place like this. All about the fish and crabs here.

It is not close to the hotel, so you need to drive there (or cab). 15 minutes away in normal traffic. If more adventurous you could get an all day bus pass and make a day out of it.

Royal Cruise recommended Catfish Dewey's for all you can eat crab legs . . . I have to 2nd and 3rd that choice lol . . . it's not a fancy place at all, but man if you just want to do some good crab eating and enjoy some really good hush puppies . . . this is your spot. I believe they do this on Thursday's and Sundays . . . but you can also call ahead as there are times they do this everyday. $29.99 . . . can't be beat. They also have some awesome lightly fried/grilled catfish. They probably serve steak, but you don't want to get steak at a place like this. All about the fish and crabs here.

It is not close to the hotel, so you need to drive there (or cab). 15 minutes away in normal traffic. If more adventurous you could get an all day bus pass and make a day out of it.

I agree Catfish Dewey's seafood is really good.

I have to admit that Catfish Dewey's is the only place that I am recommending here without having eaten there. It was for a specific request of all-you-can-eat crab legs...there are only a few places that serve this and Catfish Dewey's has a great local following. (I can't eat shellfish or catfish and avoid fried food which is why I haven't been there).

Well, I finally got over to S3 in the Hilton. After a long walk in the area, we stopped in there for a drink before going home at 5 PM. The good...There was live entertainment, a modern reggae soloist. We ordered 2 glasses of wine and a snack plate of marinated olives and almonds, and enjoyed it over a stunning ocean view. The wine list has a lot of choices by the glass, the pours are generous, and the wine/bottle prices are very reasonable for a touristy area. The bad and ugly...The staff are not friendly except amongst themselves. In fact, they are cold and avoid eye contact. We sat at the bar so I only observed the dozen staff in that area...maybe the table servers are a tad warmer, but I really don't appreciate being snubbed by servers. This seems to be common at hotel bars...yuck.

Also I found out about the construction on the floors below the pool...they are building oceanview lounge/event space.

The same people that opened S3, Yolo, Tarpon Bend are also opening an Italian place on Las Olas about a block north of Roccos. I'm so excited I can't stand it!

I'm guessing they are an independent restaurant company as opposed to being opened by the Hilton.