Arriving a day early.

dancecj

We are arriving in Oahu at 10:30 AM on 7/31/15 and cruising the POA from 8/1-8/9. We are staying on Oahu post cruise until 8/11. We have booked a small condo in Waikiki for the 3 nights, but need a hotel for our pre-cruise night. We would like to be somewhat near the harbor perhaps? We would like to not spend an arm and a leg on a hotel. ;-) Suggestions for that night? Also, is it worth renting a car for that day and a half? We are contemplating doing Pearl Harbor and that area before boarding if we can't board until late in the afternoon. I would love suggestions for Friday afternoon,eve, and the firdt part of Saturday. Husband, 16 year old son, and myself. thanks!

Candy

Given that you land at 10:30, and allowing for time to claim bags, you have a big chunk of your first day. I would definitely consider renting a car, and being at Pearl Harbor the next day, first thing in the morning. You can return the car the next day around 1pm,,and shuttle or taxi to the ship.

I would also still get a hotel in Waikiki, because it is just a fun place to be. Think they still have fireworks on the beach on Fridays.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Thank you. Is a half day enough to do Pearl Harbor and it's surroundings? Iam not sure how early we can board the POA.

If you wanted to see everything, no, half day isn't enough. Everything is a full day. But not everybody wants to see Arizona, Missouri, the sub and the Museum. Realistically on Saturday you have 5 hours.

Thank you. Is a half day enough to do Pearl Harbor and it's surroundings? Iam not sure how early we can board the POA.

Like you, we arrived on Friday am prior to our Saturday cruise. I also recommend you stay in Waikiki. There are tons of walkable hotels and oceanfront restaurants, shopping, and of course the beach. On Friday evening we walked down the beach and wooden Boardwalk to the Haleukulani Hotel for the outdoor music and Hula dancing performed on the shaded lawn oceanfront. It is at the lounge/restaurant called House Without a Key ( look up Charlie Chan Mystery by the same name.). This place is highly recommended here and on Trip Advisor. Have a Mai Tai and pupus or a full meal and watch the sunset. It starts filling up around 5:00. Or go down to Dukes for dinner.

We did a Pearl Harbor tour the am of the cruise through Roberts which includes the Arizona and museums, Punchbowl Cemetary and a city tour of the palace, statue of King Kam, etc. We left our hotel early afternoon and taxied to the pier. Be sure to get your tickets in advance if doing this on your own or you may be shut out or have a tour scheduled late in the day. We thought the tour was our best option for only one day, included tickets and hotel pick up and return ( they do not drop at the ship for this one ) and eliminated the hassle of a 1 day car rental and return and eliminated the $30 daily parking fee most hotels in Waikiki have. Be forewarned pickup was very early, around 6:30 I think.

We left our hotel early PM and taxied to the ship. No valets, you handle your own luggage at drop off. You can start boarding late am, but many tour and then board later as it is a late sailaway. But, they do the safety drill late afternoon, around 4:00 or 4:30 as I recall, so be onboard prior to that or you will have a make up on your first Maui day which would be a real downer.

There is a full day, I think, Pearl Harbor tour either through Roberts or the ship on Debarkation day which might work better for you since you are not flying out immediately. You are picked up at the ship, your luggage goes with you and you are then dropped at your hotel mid or late afternoon.

Thank you, Brenda and Vance. You said no valets? Do we carry the luggage on? So if we do an early tour, and then make our way to the ship early afternoon, do we have to leave luggage at hotel? We thought we might be able to drop it off at the ship early with the valets. Hmm! We are staying in Waikiki for 3 days post cruise and will rent a car then. I am hoping that we can make it cost effective and easy to NOT rent for that first 24 hours.

No...there will be porters to take you luggage ONTO the ship...you will just have to get it to the ship!

I wouldn't rent a vehicle on your arrival day...you will have a bit of jet lag...and I'm betting you're not going to want to spend hours after your arrival doing too much!!

No...there will be porters to take you luggage ONTO the ship...you will just have to get it to the ship!

I wouldn't rent a vehicle on your arrival day...you will have a bit of jet lag...and I'm betting you're not going to want to spend hours after your arrival doing too much!!

Sorry to be contrary, but a car might be a good idea. At least price it out for the cost of the car plus parking vs. a cab or transfer from airport to hotel and back to Aloha Tower the next day to board. A rental car could be only $45 or so for 24 hrs. Maybe less. Parking on the street is available in Waikiki (or was when I left 8 yrs ago) but may be far from the hotel.

There are other hotels outside Waikiki, granted not many, but there are a few. Maybe they have free or cheaper parking. It would give you a different locale than your after cruise stay. There is a hotel on the North Shore used to be Turtle Bay, but not sure what name it goes by now), and more hotels out H-1 towards Waipio (where the luau is held, one of them any way).

BTW, the luau might be an idea for that first night, since you'll have a car.

Given that you land at 10:30, and allowing for time to claim bags, you have a big chunk of your first day. I would definitely consider renting a car, and being at Pearl Harbor the next day, first thing in the morning. You can return the car the next day around 1pm,,and shuttle or taxi to the ship.

I would also still get a hotel in Waikiki, because it is just a fun place to be. Think they still have fireworks on the beach on Fridays.

Yes, the Hilton Hawaiian Village still has the fireworks on Friday nights.

So many great ideas. Hubby and I were talking last night about the best location for that first night. We are planning on doing Pearl Harbor Saturday AM before the cruise for sure. We thought we might want to go for a hike in the afternoon at Diamond Head? And dinner on the beach that night. So, the logistics and transportation seems tricky. Downtown Honolulu seems closer to our Saturday destinations, but keeps away from anything on Friday. Without a car, would it be relatively easy for us to get to Diamond Head or Waikiki? Oyblic transportation? Or am i just crazy?

Public transit is excellent on Oahu. If you look around on the board, there are several recommendations for TheBus.org.

On a Saturday morning traffic will not be that bad getting to Pearl Harbor. And Waikiki has everything- beach, nightlife, everything.

"Downtown" Honolulu is mostly the business district. Yes, there is things like Chinatown, but it has nothing on Waikiki.

We walked to Diamond Head from our hotel in Waikiki. According to our phone GPS, it was just over 8 miles, round trip. But you can drive, or take the bus.

As you are getting in at 10:30 am, you have a solid half day to enjoy the area. And as you are flying from California (which we also do, regularly), you won't be that tired.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Thank you, Brenda and Vance. You said no valets? Do we carry the luggage on? So if we do an early tour, and then make our way to the ship early afternoon, do we have to leave luggage at hotel? We thought we might be able to drop it off at the ship early with the valets. Hmm! We are staying in Waikiki for 3 days post cruise and will rent a car then. I am hoping that we can make it cost effective and easy to NOT rent for that first 24 hours.

Just to clarify re the porters, usually when you jump out of your taxi at any other port, the porters are right there within steps to collect your luggage. Not sure why this is not so in Hawaii. The ship is some distance away, so you must schlep your own luggage "to" the ship and it is collected at some point there. For the life of me I can't remember at what point. It is not a huge deal, but something to think about if you have lots and not so able bodied people. I know people do drop luggage off early and return for boarding later, so that is no problem. But it seems a time saver to leave it at the hotel when you have a tour booked, unless you can find one that will drop you and your luggage at the port after.

We left our luggage at the hotel while we toured am of the cruise. Ours had a number to call for luggage storage and they picked it up at our room and then we collected it after the tour and got in a taxi. Most any hotel has luggage storage because so many people fly in hours before official checkin or have very late flights out day of check out.

Edited by punkincc