Airplane Resrictions

1cat4jan

Anyone fly within the last two weeks? What did you note when you went through security?

Can I carry lipstick or little tubes of lip gloss if they are gel-types like vaseline? Any other restrictions that normal people would consider crazy?

I plan on packing everything in the checked luggage - but I cannot live without something for my lips.

How about cell phones and I-pods? Are they still restricted?

I plan on looking at the NTSB site, too - but what I'm interested in is first hand recent experience of the new restrictions.

Sorry, I don't have first hand experience, but...

I would not take a gel-type lip product, I know GoinCruisin was allowed to take the stick-type blistex/chapstick lip products and that was a few weeks ago.

According to the TSA website electronic devices are allowed and I don't believe they ever were prohibited (for domestic US flights).

Food and drink are still not allowed in carry-ons, not even if you buy it after the security check point. But you can put those items in your checked luggage.

2 flights this past weekend, Dallas & New Orleans. No on the lipstick. You'll just have to get by like everybody else. I saw sandwiches purchased in terminal brought on but still no drinks allowed....even if it bought 2 foot away from your boarding gate.

No random searches on Sunday morning at DFW but they were doing them in Nola on Tuesday. Also in Nola, if you bought a plastic bottle of water or coke, etc......the shops were required to pour them in a cup so no chance of sticking it in your bag & smuggling it onboard the plane.

Good luck. TSA was steadily taking things away from people trying to slip things on.

We flew into and out of Florida last week.

You CANNOT carry on ANY liquid regardless of where you purchased it....after security or wherever. That includes water, coffee or anything. They will let you take on a small amount of eye drops (like 4 oz bottle) and I also saw one person with a small lip gloss stick.

You will have to remove your shoes...regardless of what kind. Everyone now has to take off their shoes....so just go ahead and plan on that.

All in all, I didn't notice any longer delays than normal. The only thing different were the announcements at the boarding gate that if you had liquids you'd have to throw it away before boarding.

My take is that it's been three weeks and everyone from the TSA workers to passengers have gotten acquainted and familiar with the new procedures. You won't notice much, if any, differences from the last time you flew except the no liquid rule.

If you go to the TSA website there's a VERY LENGTHY list of what you can and cannot take. I printed it off...it's like eight pages of stuff...mostly common sense.

We flew about two and a half weeks ago, and I could not take on the plane a non-prescription lip ointment. A tube of chap stick, I was told, was also a no-no. I don't know if they have loosened up on the lipstick (tube, no gloss) or not. I hope so, because my lips are extremely dry even without being on a plane.

Sorry, I don't have first hand experience, but...

I would not take a gel-type lip product, I know GoinCruisin was allowed to take the stick-type blistex/chapstick lip products and that was a few weeks ago.

According to the TSA website electronic devices are allowed and I don't believe they ever were prohibited (for domestic US flights).

Food and drink are still not allowed in carry-ons, not even if you buy it after the security check point. But you can put those items in your checked luggage.

Yup!! I had 6 flights right after the new regulations when they were at their strictest... I was able to take chap stick, NO lip gloss!!! I was able to take several tubes of lipstick, as long as they were not liquid at all... no vaseline type (like the blistex tubes) but if it was a solid, you were okay. Anything that is liquid or gel like, will be taken... even the gel foot inserts were being taken. Liquid makeup, gone. Just know what you have in your carry ons and anything in question, check it.

In and out of Fort Lauderdale 2 weeks ago. Saw lots of stuff taken away at security check point and at the gate - mostly "make-up" items and moisturizers, toothpaste, perfumes and colognes, lighters. (I assume most of these folks live in a cave and don't ever read anything). No liquids of any kind except the few items shown at tsa.gov. Could take chap stick.

While you can purchase drinks, etc. beyond security, it must be consumed in the so-called "sterile" area. Won't be allowed onboard.

I was able to take a bagel and cream cheese on board - also crackers, chocolate.

Food yes. Beverages no. Saw (and heard) many people complaining about the mystical $100s of dollars of cosmetics in their purse that they were forced to get rid of. I guess they can afford cosmetics, but not TVs, newspapers, computers, or eyeglasses for all of the signs around the airport. ;)

We flew this past week, return flight was on 9/11. Both flights we got through security very quickly.

I asked about lipstick, and they told me LIPSTICK ok, but NO LIP GLOSS. So, I think as long as it's a solid tube of lipstick, chapstick, whatever ~ ok.

No liquids, but I was able to take my motioneze. It's a tiny bottle (1/2 oz.) of motion sickness herbal liquid.

You can buy bottled water, juice, etc. once you get past security, but then you have to get rid of it before you get on the plane. No liquids allowed on the plane. Sandwiches, food, etc. are ok.

Cell phones, I-pods and other electronic devices are allowed on the plane, but you must turn them off. Once you get above a certain altitude (on our flights it was 10,000 feet), you can turn I-pods, laptops and other approved devices back on (but not cell phones). Then you have to turn them back off when the plane is ready to land.

We flew Southwest on 8/20 and 8/26, I took a tube of lipstick (solid, not lip gloss) no problem. But because I was concerned about it being confiscated, I went and bought a cheapie $2.00 Wet & Wild just for the flight, so if they had taken it no big deal. It wasn't the greatest coverage but gave me a little color and moisture. I did see gel-type gloss and mascara confiscated, as well as water bottles. People had sandwiches on our flight that they had bought at Subway inside the airport.

We flew in the past 2 weeks and we noticed some of the pilots appearing at the departure gate with their cup of Starbucks coffee. Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't there been hijackers in the guise of pilots??????

Interesting, I was under the impression flight crew were under the same restrictions as passengers. :rolleyes:

My aunt just got back from a trip yesterday. Her lipstick was okay in her carryon as was chapstick but Blistex and Vaseline are specifically prohibited.

No water bottles on flights. We had a flight diverted to Little Rock last week because two people bought bottled water in Charlotte airport and snuck the water bottles onto the plane.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#10

Due to enhanced security measures liquids, gels, lotions and other items of similar consistency will not be permitted in carry-on baggage. These types of items must be packed in your checked baggage.

Additionally, liquids, gels and lotions purchased beyond the checkpoint but must be disposed of before boarding the aircraft.

To ensure the health and welfare of certain air travelers the following items are permitted.

Small amounts of Baby formula and breast milk if a baby or small child is traveling

Liquid prescription medicine with a name that matches the passenger’s ticket

Up to 5 oz. (148ml) of liquid or gel low blood sugar treatment

Up to 4 oz. of essential non-prescription liquid medications including saline solution, eye care products and KY jelly

Gel-filled bras and similar prosthetics

Gel-filled wheelchair cushions

Life support and life sustaining liquids such as bone marrow, blood products, and transplant organs carried for medical reasons

You are permitted to bring solid cosmetics and personal hygiene items as such lipstick, lip balm and similar solids. Please remember these items must be solid and not liquid, gel or aerosol.

all your input was helpful.

I no longer carry an actual "purse" when I travel - usually have a fanny pack with eye drops for dry eyes and little tubes of vaseline for my lips and kleenix, money, ID and a few other things. I've pared down my "necessities" even before these new rules. However, living for six hours without anything for my lips would actually be hard. Yea, I know - suck it up - but still...

I did buy an inexpensive solid lip balm as a substitute for the vaseline. I'll carry an old chapstick with me, too. Maybe one of them will be OK.

My small carryon would've had bottles of water, snacks, reading materials, and electronics. I think I'll leave everything home this time.

We haven't traveled since spring, but even then, they were making everyone take off their shoes.

These new rules are re-training all flyers. We will now figure out how much of the stuff we haul onto the plane isn't needed after all. LOL

Another question

What about cameras?

We flew home Monday and people were allowed cameras, cellphones, computers, blackberries and computer games but all had to be turned off while inflight.

No drinks of any kind, we did see people with chapstick (wish I had some with me) and some brought food but we had a 1 hr flight & 3 hr flight so we had time to eat in between.

i suffer from migraines- they can develop suddenly without warning- have found that excederin migraine is the only thing that works for me (am allergic to imetrex etc) can i carry a small pillbox of it in my purse (like i always do) or can i carry it in a bottle with the label attached to it?

i suffer from migraines- they can develop suddenly without warning- have found that excederin migraine is the only thing that works for me (am allergic to imetrex etc) can i carry a small pillbox of it in my purse (like i always do) or can i carry it in a bottle with the label attached to it?

It is hard to advise anything other than to carry it in the original packaging.

That being said all my tablets are in a weekly (Mon-Sun) box. I carry them on the plane in my carryon (I travel for a living) I have never been stopped yet.

However there is always a first time I suppose!

...lipstick was okay in her carryon as was chapstick but Blistex and Vaseline are specifically prohibited...

I think this is misleading. It's not the brands of lip product that are prohibited, it's the lip products that are not in solid form that are prohibited. I have Blistex brand tubes of lip product that are in the same solid form as Chapstick brand and I highly doubt they'd tell me I couldn't bring them because they're Blistex and not Chapstick. It doesn't matter what brand the lip product is, what matters is whether or not it is a liquid or gel. If it's solid it shouldn't be a problem.

feel kinda safe carrying pills out of their bottles - most have their names embossed on them - or standard numbers, etc. We've never been questioned, but like the other poster said - there's always a first time for everything. But we are going to take our chances.

I'm all packed - paired down my carryon to clothes and DH's shaver. I've even decided to use the hotel's shampoo and lotion - and skipped packing that. But still - the suitcase we are checking is FILLED TO THE BRIM - FOR A FOUR DAY TRIP!!! And I have an additional small carryon with more clothes.

You would think 12 people were traveling with us. I'll never learn to pack lightly - I guess I really don't want to learn. LOL

Thanks for all your input. I'll report my "security experience" when we get back.

Archived