Getting to Kaanapali Beach from Kahuliu

CatieM80

Does anyone know of any transfers from the port in Kahuliu to Kanapalli Beach? I know renting a car is probably the easiest way, but not everyone in our group is up for that. Right now we are planning to take the bus, but I am concerned about how much time that will take. When we visited several years ago, I remember it involved a pretty decent walk from the port to a shopping mall, then a couple bus rides to get to Lahaina. So with the 1 hour 40 minute bus ride, I'm thinking it could be at least a 2 hour trip one way if we take the bus.

Also, to piggy back on my original question, the reason I'm concerned about time is that we are also considering taking a sunset tour to Haleakala. It leaves at 3:30 from Kahuliu, so I don't know if we could feasibly do Kaanapali Beach in the morning as well without being way too rushed to make it back on time. We don't get into port until 10:00 AM.

Thanks for any and all advice! I've found this forum to be so informative and helpful in planning our trip!

The drive to Kaanapali from Kahului takes about 45-50 minutes in good traffic - so even with a shuttle, it would only leave you with 2 to 2.5 hours at Kaanapali before you'd need to head back to regroup for the 3:30 tour. I'm not familiar with any shuttle operators, other than contacting a taxi company or Robert's Hawaii to see if they'd do a private shuttle for you - but not sure that it would be worth the expense. How many people are there in your group?

If it's just beach time that you want during those few hours, maybe a bus to Kihei would work as it's much closer than going to Kaanapali.

The drive to Kaanapali from Kahului takes about 45-50 minutes in good traffic - so even with a shuttle, it would only leave you with 2 to 2.5 hours at Kaanapali before you'd need to head back to regroup for the 3:30 tour. I'm not familiar with any shuttle operators, other than contacting a taxi company or Robert's Hawaii to see if they'd do a private shuttle for you - but not sure that it would be worth the expense. How many people are there in your group?

If it's just beach time that you want during those few hours, maybe a bus to Kihei would work as it's much closer than going to Kaanapali.

Thanks Susan! I was wondering how long the drive would take. Unfortunately, it does look like it's going to be a significant cost unless we take the bus. I looked at Uber, and that would be at least $110 round-trip. There are 4 in our group, including a toddler. So the closer beach is looking like a good option to me! Do you feel Kihei is comparable to Kaanapali? We really fell in love with the atmosphere and beauty of Kaanapali and Lahaina last time we visited. Also, it felt much less crowded than beaches we visited at other islands on that cruise, like Waikiki on Honolulu.

Kihei is not really like Ka'anapali, but it isn't bad. Kihei is not a resort beach area, really, it is a cheaper, more local town area, with a few inexpensive hotels and some pretty good beach. If you want something like Ka'anapali, you want Wailea, just south of Kihei. Wailea is higher end than Ka'anapali.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Agree with Bruce that Wailea would be a better choice, but I just had a quick look at the bus service and I think it's still too long time-wise to take the bus even to Kihei and back - and Wailea is further. Plus, as you mention above, there's the issue of just getting to/from the bus stop in Kahului.

Driving on Maui is easy and you could have a really nice day with a rental car - I'd keep working on the reluctant ones.

Re the Haleakala tour - just wondered if you are taking your toddler or are just some in the group going? The summit is at 10,000 ft - this link on the park's website discusses altitude concerns (see the section titled "Summit Area - Mountain."

Kihei is not really like Ka'anapali, but it isn't bad. Kihei is not a resort beach area, really, it is a cheaper, more local town area, with a few inexpensive hotels and some pretty good beach. If you want something like Ka'anapali, you want Wailea, just south of Kihei. Wailea is higher end than Ka'anapali.

Thanks for that recommendation Bruce. Wailea looks amazing! Also looks like it is very uncrowded too, which is what we are looking for.

Agree with Bruce that Wailea would be a better choice, but I just had a quick look at the bus service and I think it's still too long time-wise to take the bus even to Kihei and back - and Wailea is further. Plus, as you mention above, there's the issue of just getting to/from the bus stop in Kahului.

Driving on Maui is easy and you could have a really nice day with a rental car - I'd keep working on the reluctant ones.

Re the Haleakala tour - just wondered if you are taking your toddler or are just some in the group going? The summit is at 10,000 ft - this link on the park's website discusses altitude concerns (see the section titled "Summit Area - Mountain."

I agree about the rental Susan. It would just make things so much easier in my opinion. We were not going to take our little one up on Haleakala, it would have just been 2 of us going. But the more I look into it, the more I think we should skip it. It just puts us in such a time crunch, and there's always the chance it could be cloudy and we won't get the full experience. I bet we can see a pretty spectacular sunset from the beach as well. :)

I agree about the rental Susan. It would just make things so much easier in my opinion. We were not going to take our little one up on Haleakala, it would have just been 2 of us going. But the more I look into it, the more I think we should skip it. It just puts us in such a time crunch, and there's always the chance it could be cloudy and we won't get the full experience. I bet we can see a pretty spectacular sunset from the beach as well. :)

If you grouped up with a rental car, you can just skip the Halekala tour and drive yourself up. I'm assuming you are there overnight? or a long port day? BIG benefit- you can leave when you want, and have a car to warm up in if needed.

It's COLD up there on Haleakala......very cold! VERY windy, too! It's one of those things you can do if you have time to kill....not a "must do" IMO.

Haleakala is a highlight on Maui - but just like any experience- some people will enjoy it more than others do. We love it - but maybe it's because we like hiking into the crater to get close up views (although, the views are pretty spectacular even if you just see them from the viewing areas next to the parking lots.)

Hopefully no one will base their decision on the advice that "it's one of those things you can do if you have time to kill" - which makes it sound about as exciting as a trip to Walmart.:)

Haleakala is a highlight on Maui - but just like any experience- some people will enjoy it more than others do. We love it - but maybe it's because we like hiking into the crater to get close up views (although, the views are pretty spectacular even if you just see them from the viewing areas next to the parking lots.)

Hopefully no one will base their decision on the advice that "it's one of those things you can do if you have time to kill" - which makes it sound about as exciting as a trip to Walmart.:)

I completely agree about Haleakala. Upcountry is my favorite place to be in Maui. Like the saying goes, it's not the destination, it's the journey! We probably spend an hour or less at the summit. The real highlight is the beautiful landscape and views going and coming. Best done in your own car so that you are free to stop as many times and for as long as you wish to take in the spectacular views. Also many things to do along the way, winery, lavender farm, Kula Lodge and Restaurant.

They've said the same thing about the Road to Hana so apparently they don't like much about Maui. ;)