Skagway train to White Pass

ULCajunCruiser

We took the Celebrity SK85 that included the Gold Rush Sled dogs...everything was wonderful...but the Sled Dogs were the best part. We didn't know until that morning if we were on the bus up or down version of this excursion. Our bus was waiting right on the dock and we took a short ride to the Sled Dog demo for about an hour stop. Mark explained everything anyone wanted to know about sled racing with wit and charm, and we all were able to hold little puppies (awww...cute). Back on the bus, a few quick photo stops up to the border, then about a 20 minute wait to get though customs, then right from bus onto train for ride back to Skagway. Spectacular scenery! Highly recommend this flavor of X excursions. There is getting on and off a coach bus and the train, short walk to dog area that is flat. Arrived back at the depot that is on edge of town. From there could take another coach back to ship or could walk through town to see Skagway on own. Not too long a walk depending on use of wheelchair or whatever mobility issues involved, but not on dock either. Can see the distances on google maps.

• 7 months later...
We took the Celebrity SK85 that included the Gold Rush Sled dogs...everything was wonderful...but the Sled Dogs were the best part. We didn't know until that morning if we were on the bus up or down version of this excursion. Our bus was waiting right on the dock and we took a short ride to the Sled Dog demo for about an hour stop. Mark explained everything anyone wanted to know about sled racing with wit and charm, and we all were able to hold little puppies (awww...cute). Back on the bus, a few quick photo stops up to the border, then about a 20 minute wait to get though customs, then right from bus onto train for ride back to Skagway. Spectacular scenery! Highly recommend this flavor of X excursions. There is getting on and off a coach bus and the train, short walk to dog area that is flat. Arrived back at the depot that is on edge of town. From there could take another coach back to ship or could walk through town to see Skagway on own. Not too long a walk depending on use of wheelchair or whatever mobility issues involved, but not on dock either. Can see the distances on google maps.

This sounds great! We are looking for alternatives because Chilkoot was sold out! :eek:

Did you have the option of purchasing a dog cart ride?

What time was your excursion? Did it include lunch? TIA!

Do ALL the cars with ALL the train tour companies have outdoor viewing platforms, including the ones that have their own coaches? Also, if you happen to snag a great seat for viewing inside the train, can you leave something on it to "save" it for a few minutes while you go onto the platform, or is it necessary to have someone with you stay behind in order to prevent your losing your good seat?

Thanks for any first hand knowledge/experienced replies!

Just be aware that you will really be limiting your sightseeing opportunities if you only take the White Pass trip up to Fraser, then turn around and come back down again.

A long port time at Skagway provides a wonderful chance to extend your trip and continue on up into the Yukon for the amazing scenery, as well as possibilities for wildlife viewing along the way.

Many who post on these boards have stopped along the roadside on this trip to watch and photograph bears at very close range. The bears along this road appear to be well accustomed to the gawking tourists and basically ignore us, just glancing up at us from time to time and then going right on with their eating.

(You can't count on seeing bears along this road. It can be hit or miss, but it is still a wonderful excursion even if you don't see any bears. It is just an extra bonus if you do.)

I would suggest contacting the tour vendors that you are considering in advance to describe the mobility limitations of your companions and find out what types of accommodations they can offer them.

For the road part of the trip, we find that a smaller vehicle (such as a van for 4 or 6 or even 8 passengers) is much better, more comfortable, and gives a more personalized experience than the larger vans that hold 14, 16 or more.

At each photo stop, it is easy for everyone to open the closest door, jump out, and then step right back in when they are ready to move on.

Those with mobility limitations can just open their door, take photos and enjoy the views right from their seats through the open door.

(Although I do not suggest leaving the doors open when you are close to a bear. ;) )

Whenever we travel in a larger van or tour bus, it seems that we always need to waste time waiting at each stop for everyone to get off, and then waste time waiting again for everyone to get back on.

Also, the smaller vehicles can make stops at places where the larger vehicles can't.

I was also looking at the longer 7-8 hour train excursions that go up to Emerald lake but was concerned that it might feel like it was too long or repetitive. I wonder if others feel it was worth it for the scenery. Having never been to Alaska not sure how much time I need for looking around town in Skagway or is it just tourist shops. We're in port for 13 hours.

I was also looking at the longer 7-8 hour train excursions that go up to Emerald lake but was concerned that it might feel like it was too long or repetitive. I wonder if others feel it was worth it for the scenery. Having never been to Alaska not sure how much time I need for looking around town in Skagway or is it just tourist shops. We're in port for 13 hours.

The junket out to Emerald Lake is certainly an interesting trip and no, I don't think you will be bored. However, I always enjoy walking around Skagway, getting off Broadway, visiting the museum, going to the Gold Rush Cemetery and taking in the presentations at the NPS building. So if any of this interests you then perhaps a trip to the summit is what you would prefer.