Postal Code in London?

phabric

I have written to http://www.justairports.com and http://www.simplyairports.com to get quotes for travel from Rubens at the Palace to Heathrow Terminal 5. As of now both have not replied.

On their pricing page, they show a list of postal codes to get a price. The Rubens address shows SW1W OPS as the postal code. Should I be looking for pricing for SW1 postal code?

I have written to www.justairports.com and www.simplyairports.com to get quotes for travel from Rubens at the Palace to Heathrow Terminal 5. As of now both have not replied.

On their pricing page, they show a list of postal codes to get a price. The Rubens address shows SW1W OPS as the postal code. Should I be looking for pricing for SW1 postal code?

You need the complete postal code as a certain number of buildings are allocated to the same postal code.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Yes, if that's listed.

UK postcodes work like this: The first half specifies the general area (sometimes called the outbound half - because outbound post from any area can be coarsely sorted into these areas and then taken there for fine sorting for delivery) and the second half refines it to specific addresses (the inbound half).

The first half is one or two letters, followed by one or two digits, and sometimes followed by one further letter. In London, the first half is based on the traditional postal districts into which London was first divided, of which SW1 is the most central in that quadrant of London. But because it contains more addresses than can be readily coped with by the postcode system, it (and a number of other central London postal districts) has been subdivided, and SW1W is one of the subdivisions of the traditional SW1.

The second half is always one digit and two letters (so the Rubens is actually SW1W 0PS not SW1W OPS). These can be very specific - that postcode is for the Rubens and nothing else. In central London, a specific postcode tends to relate to one or two delivery points (one building, for example), although in suburbia it might relate to a couple of dozen buildings, eg all the houses on one side of a street. The idea is that you can compile a "postman's walk" by specifying a series of postcodes in order.

This makes UK postcodes generally very good for locating places. If you know the full postcode in London, online maps will generally be able to place it within 50 yards or so - and sometimes much more accurately.

Archived