Car size?

phabric

We have hired a car service. They mentioned saloon car to held 4 people and 2 luggage and an estate car to held 4 persons and 4 luggage. Is an estate like a small station wagon with a open trunk space.

Agree with bigwally. If you have four people, I cannot imagine how the group of four people could get by on having only two total pieces of luggage. There are some different types of station wagon like vehicles. It could also be a mini-van type that will seat four and have that added room in the back. Not a full-sized van, but more of a smaller version of the van that is a close cousin to the station wagon-like vehicle.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

We have hired a car service. They mentioned saloon car to held 4 people and 2 luggage and an estate car to held 4 persons and 4 luggage. Is an estate like a small station wagon with a open trunk space.

UK English <-> US English

Estate <-> Station Wagon

Saloon <-> Sedan

Bonnet <-> Hood

Boot <-> Trunk

and a whole lot of other car related words are completely different in UK English

Can you tell us the exact model so that we can advise?

We are going with www. justairports.com and they don't say what type of car they use just saloon or estate. They state that saloon will held 4 and 2 luggage and estate will hold 4 and 4 luggage. We are 2 adults but I am not sure what size of luggage we will be using for our trip of 15 days. If we take our 30-32 inch luggage the saloon might be too small and for only 2 GBP more would have the estate that would hold them.

We are going with www. justairports.com and they don't say what type of car they use just saloon or estate. They state that saloon will held 4 and 2 luggage and estate will hold 4 and 4 luggage. We are 2 adults but I am not sure what size of luggage we will be using for our trip of 15 days. If we take our 30-32 inch luggage the saloon might be too small and for only 2 GBP more would have the estate that would hold them.

I think an estate would be good then as they have the back that opens right up for easy access and a low load area. I would go with that if I were you - £2 extra is very reasonable.

Agree with Jane, go with the Estate. I've hired a saloon and driver with just a bit too much luggage than they were expecting for two people before, and the driver grumbled about having to put the extra bags up on his front passenger seat. :rolleyes:

Lift <-> Elevator

Colour <-> Color

Aluminium <-> Aluminum

Lorry <-> Truck

:)

Quite true; I was limiting my dictionary to automotive terms, but yes there can be quite a difference. There are also differences between AU and CA English from both US and UK versions (with AU and CA being somewhere between UK and US).

Can you e mail them and ask what make and model of estate they use from the airport you are flying in to? From that I/we could advise if the car will be big enough for 4 people and 4/5 bags. (eg Ford Focus could be tight, but Volvo V70 should be OK). In the end you might still be better to go for an MPV.

Simon

Archived