QM2 is under way.

pmb1

After sailing out of NYC for too many cruises & crossings since the 1970's - tonight was the first time I watched the ships sailing out of NYC's spectacular harbor - the most spectacular actually(I admit it is my home town).

Its even better at night with all the lights onboard & ashore.....wonderful.

Thanks again PMB1!!!

Also we always stay outside until the ship sails under the Verrazano Bridge...years ago we were still partying from the great Bon Voyage parties..now we just grab a bottle of Champagne - bundle up & enjoy. Nothing like it.

NY Harbor Webcam shows QM2 under way now. It's a bit murky but she is easy to spot and follow.
Edited by Rotterdam

She just passed under the Verrazano. Does that mean passengers on first seating had to make the choice of either missing dinner or missing the sailaway?

No. We managed both in June this year and were on the top deck for sailing under the bridge.

I brought quite a large group of passengers out to New York today, including one of the guest speakers, all heading straight for Redhook.

Was jealous I could not get on the bus with them… :(

No. We managed both in June this year and were on the top deck for sailing under the bridge.

Thanks, Ray that is good to know. I've never booked for first seating, so I have no experience of the timing...what time is last order taken? Thanks, -S

Cunard are showing on their Facebook page that 'Sting' sang in the theatre...is he on board for the whole trip? Pretty fab if he is!!

I absolutely love watching the harbour webcam as QM2 passes under- such an amazing sight.

Cunard are showing on their Facebook page that 'Sting' sang in the theatre...is he on board for the whole trip? Pretty fab if he is!!

I absolutely love watching the harbour webcam as QM2 passes under- such an amazing sight.

According to this report, Sting sang in the Brooklyn Cruise terminal on the afternoon of 28 Oct http://gothamist.com/2014/10/28/sting_playing_afternoon_show_at_bro.php

Thanks, Ray that is good to know. I've never booked for first seating, so I have no experience of the timing...what time is last order taken? Thanks, -S

First seating is 6pm and the door closes at 6.30pm.

The Cunard Facebook page also says that he performed in the Royal Court Theatre. Lucky passengers!

"The one-off performance took place in front of an invited audience in the ship's Royal Court Theatre just two days after the musician made his official debut as a Broadway composer." http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/11566018.Superstar_performs_aboard_city_cruise_ship/

Darn! My invite must have gotten lost in the mail :(

We were sat right near the doors on the QM2 this year and I assure you that they closed at 6.30pm.

I was seated at table number 42....very close to the port side entrance from Deck 2, C Stairway...

I have to agree...the door was closed at 1830. However, there were two couples that came thru at around 1900 each evening, although I believe they might have been taking a 'shortcut' thru our section to reach the 'Club' section, with its 'anytime' dining......

After sailing out of NYC for too many cruises & crossings since the 1970's - tonight was the first time I watched the ships sailing out of NYC's spectacular harbor - the most spectacular actually(I admit it is my home town).

Thanks again PMB1!!!

Also we always stay outside until the ship sails under the Verrazano Bridge...years ago we were still partying from the great Bon Voyage parties..now we just grab a bottle of Champagne - bundle up & enjoy. Nothing like it.

I was aboard the previous cruise from 16 October to Quebec. We enjoyed the sailaway party very much. As we started to actually move, they played Rod Stewart singing "I Am Sailing".... http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=ironsource&hsimp=yhs-fullyhosted_003&type=spd_dnldstr_14_25_ie&param1=1&param2=sid%3D8f4bbd8efdaeb0d1b4bdb97c299f6375%26ulng%3Den-US%252Cen%253Bq%253D0.8%26b%3DChrome%26ip%3D71.246.99.43%26p%3Dspeedial%26x%3D00215D7DCD5CE2A2%26dt%3DS899%26f%3D2%26a%3Dspd_dnldstr_14_25_ie&p=youtube+rod+stewart+i+am+sailing

Very stirring...is that done on all sailaways?

I recall HAL also played that tune (but the instrumental version) on sailaways...

Thanks again PMB1!!!

I was aboard the previous cruise from 16 October to Quebec. We enjoyed the sailaway party very much. As we started to actually move, they played Rod Stewart singing "I Am Sailing".... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1v60FITAfY

I recall HAL also played that tune (but the instrumental version) on sailaways...

I was aboard the previous cruise from 16 October to Quebec. We enjoyed the sailaway party very much. As we started to actually move, they played Rod Stewart singing "I Am Sailing".... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1v60FITAfY

We watched QM2 sail from Sydney early this year and they played several pieces, ending with "I am sailing" as she pulled away from the OPT. The sound seemed to emanate from the entire ship, not just the party bit. We watched until she disappeared behind the opera house.

We looked forward to being onboard for a similar experience in June - sadly there was no sailaway music audible on our balcony when we left Southhampton :-) Had to drown our disappointment in Pol Acker.

Came very close to not getting to dinner at all that night as it was so hard to tear ourselves away from the deck.

• 3 weeks later...

posted:Today, 07:25 PM

She just passed by the Statue of Liberty, heading towards the Verrazano. Looks like the webcam on the Cunard page isn't working.
posted: Today, 08:17 PM
Some of us did stay out until we'd gone under the bridge and it was SERIOUSLY cold. Soon be out at sea and it can warm up a bit!
Are we in a time warp? QM2 will be docking at Red Hook tomorrow morning, Thursday, November 20, 2014.