Explorer of the Seas 9-6-14 Fast Review

Still need to write the full review for my website, but here are my quick scores: (0 to 10, 0 being awful, 10 being outstanding)

Overall Cruise Experience: 8

Main Dining Room Service: 10

My Time Dining Service: 10

Main Dining Room Menu Selections: 6

Main Dining Room Food Quality: 8

My Time Dining Waiter: 10 (Benjamin)

My Time Dining Assistant: 10 (Arnold)

Concierge: 10 (Denzil)

Concierge Service: 10

Shows Overall: 10

Ice Show: 10 (best ever!)

Fast Forward: 10 (all four singers great)

Dance Show: 8

Windjammer Dining Service Staff: 10

Windjammer Food Selections: 3

Windjammer Food Quality: 5 (edible- excellent burgers though)

(OMG- what happened to Windjammer?!?)

Windjammer Appearance: 2 (windows fogged severely aft... deplorable)

Portofino Dining Staff: 10

Portofino Waiter: 10

Portofino Food Selections: 10

Portofino Food Quality: 10

(Good to see Portofino back up to snuff... been slipping in previous cruises)

Johnny Rockets Shakes: 10

(I don't like their burgers; won't even eat them)

Mini Golf Course: 3

(There were holes where you had to dig for the ball!)

Stateroom Experience (inside cabin 1583): 7

(We expected small and cozy, but there was only 6" of space between the wall and the bed on both sides- we slid the bed over to gain room on one side and we moved the couch to the bathroom wall and the glass table to the wall the couch was on... this made it a much better room... but why should I need to move furniture to make a more comfortable layout? Rest of room was great. Bathroom mirror had silver missing in several sections and the toilet was badly stained. We peeked into the Grand Suite across, and saw the same mirror problems there.)

Overall Impression of the crew: 10

Overall Cleanliness of the ship: 7

Cape Liberty Embarkation/Debarkation Experience: 10

(Yeah, even with all of the construction hullabaloo, it wasn't bad at all. If you are parking at Cape Liberty, drive to the end of the cars dropping people off and drop off your luggage, then follow the signs to parking. Then proceed to the check-in building and thru security. This entire process - luggage drop to check in to boarding ship took about 20 mins)

Bermuda Port Experience: 10

(Finally, Bermuda's Dock Yard- King's Wharf- is ORGANIZED! Buy bus/ferry passes right off the ship- and follow the signs to your appropriate transportation. There are express busses to Horseshoe Beach!)

Solarium Condition: 7

(unsightly rust stains on overhead sail/tarps... missing tiles...)

Pool Towels: 10

(yay! No need to sign these towels in and out anymore!)

Bar Experience Overall: 8

Best Bartender Aboard- Noah at the Viking Crown: 10

Worst Bar Experience: 1 (Sports Bar- mostly empty, no one took our order)

Guest Relations Desk Staff: 10

(but there was a pronounced sewage odor here all week)

Promenade Store Service: 10

Promenade Store Item Selections: 5

Internet Experience: 0

(Couldn't get in to log on; terrible)

Overall, an excellent cruise... the ship is just in major need of cosmetic TLC! Fortunately, she gets this next year... but unfortunately, the ship herself is no longer in a "WOW" state for those cruising her now. I'm a self described RCCL cheerleader, so if I feel this way, I know the tougher critics out there are going to be much harder than me on this ship. Food portions in the Main Dining Room have shrunk noticeably. Desserts have also changed in an odd way: since when is Crème Brulee not caramelized on top? (Yes, it was good... but it's just pudding now) Also, no more escargot? Rolls were nice, but the same selections every night?

My comprehensive review will cover more aspects once I sit down to write it. Would I do this cruise again even knowing what I do now? Sure! You make your own fun on a cruise. But Explorer has always been a second home to us; I hate to see her in this condition.

Cheers,

Paul

Edited by Cruisin' Forever!

Thanks for your input. We were on he same cruise and agree with you. The singers at Fast Forward were very good. My daughter caught a wiff of the sewage smell but I didn't notice it as much....just here and there.

I agree I would do the cruise all over again knowing what I know now. I'm sure once the Explorer goes through dry-dock she will be back to WOW condition again.

And yes...the internet was HORRIBLE...made it tough to stay in touch with work (which I need to do).

Thanks for your insight!

Still need to write the full review for my website' date=' but here are my quick scores: (0 to 10, 0 being awful, 10 being outstanding)

My Time Dining Waiter: 10 (Benjamin)

My Time Dining Assistant: 10 (Arnold)

Concierge: 10 (Denzil)

Concierge Service: 10

Cheers,

Paul[/quote']

We were on the 8/28/14 Canada/New England cruise and had Benjamin and Arnold in My Time Dining. Their service was outstanding. Denzil is a great Concierge. The ship is showing wear and tear, but we still love the Explorer and will miss her. I would love to see the Explorer after dry dock and all the new features and wish they would bring her back to Bayonne just for a few cruises, but I know that won't happen.

Theresa

Edited by psupa

I was on this cruise too and I mostly agree with your assessment.

We met a woman who told us she ended up arguing with one of the head waiters regarding the creme brulee being just a pudding!

I didn't mind the smaller portions because you can always get more than one or try another entree too.

The internet experience was terrible. I also had no idea we couldn't get internet in our cabins..only some public places such as the promenade or solarium. Mine kept going in and out at the solarium.

We were on the 8/28/14 Canada/New England cruise and had Benjamin and Arnold in My Time Dining. Their service was outstanding. Denzil is a great Concierge. The ship is showing wear and tear, but we still love the Explorer and will miss her. I would love to see the Explorer after dry dock and all the new features and wish they would bring her back to Bayonne just for a few cruises, but I know that won't happen.

Theresa

Benjamin and Arnold had great chemistry- great team- gave them ten points here and in the RCI post cruise survey. My Sail and Sign card was failing to open the Concierge Lounge door (yes, we are D+ :D) and without me saying anything, Denzil grabbed my card and headed out to get it replaced! Excellent service!

Explorer was our first Mega cruiser way back in 2003... we've been on her so many times since. She will always have a special place in our hearts!

Cape Liberty Embarkation/Debarkation Experience: 10

(Yeah' date=' even with all of the construction hullabaloo, it wasn't bad at all. If you are parking at Cape Liberty, drive to the end of the cars dropping people off and drop off your luggage, then follow the signs to parking. Then proceed to the check-in building and thru security. This entire process - luggage drop to check in to boarding ship took about 20 mins)

[/quote']

What time did you arrive at the port? I will be sailing on Explorer for the 7th time in October. I always arrived around 12:30 and never had a problem with delays. Now I'm reading about all the delays, and I would like to avoid them.

What time did you arrive at the port? I will be sailing on Explorer for the 7th time in October. I always arrived around 12:30 and never had a problem with delays. Now I'm reading about all the delays, and I would like to avoid them.

We arrived a little after 10:30 I think; we were aboard very quickly... probably the fastest embarkation and debarkation at Cape Liberty ever! It is a mess though to look at. I've heard the worse time to arrive is around 11:30am- apparently there's traffic jams then.

We parked at the port- expensive as all get out but just too convenient for us (and we had a horrible experience with Premiere Parking back in '12, so I won't use them). If you are parking at the port, pass by all those that are dropping off people and go to the end where there's a sign that says "Luggage Drop Off"- stop there and drop off your luggage then turn around and head between the buildings- you'll see a sign for Parking to your left- just follow that. Worked like a charm for us.

we arrived at 12:30 ,like the prior 3 times we have boarded her in Bayonne, and we had a 25 minute line of cars for the first time ever. Still wasent much of an ordeal tho. I would also love to see her after the re-fit as well. We are cruising liberty next. Im positive its nicer but The Explorer was the first ship I ever Cruised. I'm pretty sure it will forever be my favorite! Dan

we arrived at 12:30 ,like the prior 3 times we have boarded her in Bayonne, and we had a 25 minute line of cars for the first time ever. Still wasent much of an ordeal tho. I would also love to see her after the re-fit as well. We are cruising liberty next. Im positive its nicer but The Explorer was the first ship I ever Cruised. I'm pretty sure it will forever be my favorite! Dan

Liberty is a fantastic ship- bigger than Explorer. Love that ship!