Courtesy hold, for a better cabin when already booked

Crystalkrt

I am working at the hospital until late afternoon. I am booked on the Explorer, L cat. I noticed this am that a better cabin, same cat is available. Since I don't want to loose it, I placed a 24hr courtesy hold under my sailing partners name. My plan is to call RCCL as soon as I get home and switch cabins.

Is this legal? Can I just hold this cabin even if we are already booked? I sure don't want to loose this cabin since my sailing is almost full. Please help me!!!

Crystal

I am working at the hospital until late afternoon. I am booked on the Explorer, L cat. I noticed this am that a better cabin, same cat is available. Since I don't want to loose it, I placed a 24hr courtesy hold under my sailing partners name. My plan is to call RCCL as soon as I get home and switch cabins.

Is this legal? Can I just hold this cabin even if we are already booked? I sure don't want to loose this cabin since my sailing is almost full. Please help me!!!

Crystal

No problem. have fun and good luck.

dont understand why you booked it in someone else's name

Since this is something that has never happened to me, I did not know if putting it under my name would compromise my reservation. It is called inexperience, that's all. Next time, it will be under my name, don't worry.

Since this is something that has never happened to me, I did not know if putting it under my name would compromise my reservation. It is called inexperience, that's all. Next time, it will be under my name, don't worry.

You did just fine!!:) When you call give them both reservation numbers and just tell them that you want to put the room from reservation # 2 on the first reservation and then cancel the 2nd one

Edited by molly361

I was told by a RCCI rep that this is what I should have done in May.

Beginning of May a saw a big price drop on the cruise we wanted to take in 2015. I e-mailed the travel agent, who sat on the info for 4 days - by the time he called, the cost of the cruise had increased and the great deal was gone. When I called RCCI to see if they could do anything for me, the rep at RCCI told me to do a 24-hour hold next time to hold the pricing.

I no longer use a travel agent, cancelled with him and I am doing it myself now.

• 9 months later...

I have a related question but did not want to start a new thread.

We are booked through a travel agent that closed at 5 pm and is not open on Sunday.

We currently have two JS cabins booked. We are in one and our sons are in another, however we are on opposite ends of the ship. Just noticed that a cabin next to theirs came available (last one on this sailing) so I placed an online 24 courtesy hold on it with Royal.

The online hold will expire in 24 hours, but I will try and renew tomorrow. What is the best way to cancel the hold on Monday, but make certain that the TA can secure it? I see where I can cancel the reservation online and assume I can have the TA on the phone at the same time. Not sure how quickly the cabin releases when done that way. Maybe I should call and have TA and RCI on the line at the same time and do it over the phone???

I considered calling Royal tonight to see if they will extend the hold or tell them what my intentions are, but concerned they will cancel the hold since I already have another cabin booked.

Thoughts?

I have a related question but did not want to start a new thread.

We are booked through a travel agent that closed at 5 pm and is not open on Sunday.

We currently have two JS cabins booked. We are in one and our sons are in another, however we are on opposite ends of the ship. Just noticed that a cabin next to theirs came available (last one on this sailing) so I placed an online 24 courtesy hold on it with Royal.

The online hold will expire in 24 hours, but I will try and renew tomorrow. What is the best way to cancel the hold on Monday, but make certain that the TA can secure it? I see where I can cancel the reservation online and assume I can have the TA on the phone at the same time. Not sure how quickly the cabin releases when done that way. Maybe I should call and have TA and RCI on the line at the same time and do it over the phone???

I considered calling Royal tonight to see if they will extend the hold or tell them what my intentions are, but concerned they will cancel the hold since I already have another cabin booked.

Thoughts?

Renew your hold and then on Monday have your TA do a 3 way call with Royal.

Crystal

I've done this several times. It's a simple process of switching rooms. You keep the original booking number, dining time, etc. Good luck! :D

Thanks for the replies. My "courtesy hold" was up about an hour ago, but it's still showing as a held cruise with my other reservations.

I will continue to monitor for the next hour and hope that it is released before I go to bed so that I can renew it.

Thanks for the replies. My "courtesy hold" was up about an hour ago, but it's still showing as a held cruise with my other reservations.

I will continue to monitor for the next hour and hope that it is released before I go to bed so that I can renew it.

There is a way to cancel the courtesy hold.

If you go to my cruises you can add this to your list of cruises just like a paid for cruise. You then have the option to cancel it. Once cancelled you could put another hold on the cabin.

You really don't have to wait. You can just cancel it. If you are worried someone will grab it. Just use two different devices. Cancel with one and have the other set up to book. It's pretty unlikely someone would take your cabin,but that's a good way for the paranoid (like me lol)

They say 24 hours but its longer than that. I said one day I would try to see exactly how long the holds last before it expires. Royal will usually send you an email letting you know it will expire soon.

Update: Cabin never showed up again online, but TA called first thing in the a.m., it was available and made the swap.

:D

Glad it all worked out for you.

When searching for the cabin did you enter the specific cabin number or were you just looking at the ones that they show you.

Glad it all worked out for you.

When searching for the cabin did you enter the specific cabin number or were you just looking at the ones that they show you.

It was showing all categories sold out so I was unable to search any cabin numbers. I went to another online TA that shows available cabins and it was indicating sold out as well.

What's weird is once my TA made the swap my previously assigned cabin never showed available. I am wondering if they had an active waiting list and I was fortunate that my TA called before they offered up the cabin I wanted or before the person responded and then offered my previous cabin to the next lucky person???

Sailing still shows sold out.