Tabayana Ship Ex VS Bananarama Beach Day

Luv Cruising Land or Sea

All,

After reading thru this thread several times, we have narrowed our beach day down to these two options. We like to snorkel but would consider us novices - we don't typically like deep waters and don't stay in the water for hours on end. We just like to see some pretty fish and coral, etc.

We are coming in on the Caribbean Princess in Nov 2016

The ship ex is $60 pp plus tax/grats and includes transportation from Mahogany Bay, 2 chairs, security and lunch

The Bananarama option requires pick up outside the port area (which I understand is about a 10-15 minute walk or there are taxi options) includes 2 chairs and a welcome drink - no lunch

Both include transportation, chairs and facilities.

The ship ex includes lunch

Why would I pay twice the price for the ship excursion? We typically eat "big" for breakfast and enjoy a good dinner so we are okay with missing lunch or having just a "snack".

Am I missing something important regarding safety? I understand from Bananarama we would need to walk further down the beach to get to the kidney area and that is not an issue. I read that "security" is better at Tabayan - we typically bring only what we need - have an underwater camera that stays with us, and a waterproof pouch for money, CC and ship cards so we typically don't worry about things left on the beach either.

What am I missing?

Thanks for opinions - I know everyone is different and will have a different point of view but would like to hear the reasons.

Cindi

Security really means keeping the vendors out and you won't be bothered. I have walked West Bay Beach many times and I have never been "bothered". I have always felt safe on West Bay Beach during the day. Just keep your guard up like you would do walking around any other foreign or domestic place. Bananrama is a great place to hang out and they have good food/drink at the Thirsty Turtle. We are going there in 58 days with a private driver via Rony Tours. Bananarama's deal with RT transportation is excellent. Tabayana is closer to the kidney and they are good as well - everyone there are cruise ship passengers and they keep outside vendors away. Can't go wrong with either one but to save money - Bananarama makes a lot of sense. The food and drinks will be better at Bananarama - I promise you that.

We did the Tabyana beach in December last year. Good snorkeling. Beautiful place. We did a carnival excursion and I believe it was $45 pp. and no food that I remember. Chair, umbrella and transport. We chose ship because of the distance. It is out by bananarama. I Looked at transport price and there wasn't enough difference in price to not choose ship excursion. It is a safety cushion when on a ship excursion. We rarely do ship because of the price, but this time we did.

I should say I am a novice when snorkeling but I snorkeled a long time while here. There are boys with canoes that will take you out pretty far and I was able to see a lot of fish etc. I gave our guide a tip of course.

Edited by peymas

I can not begin to imagine why one would be any safer with Tabyana than with Bananarama. West Bay Beach, where both Bananarama and Tabyana are, is bristling with security. Depending on were you sit as Bananarama the locals selling goods maybe more of a challange than at Tabyana.

If amazing reef snorkling steps from your lounger is not the goal...by all means choose other than Tabyana.

I would say, were it me making the choice and snorkeling was not a worry I wood choose Beacher's over Bananarama. The food and drinks are said to be the best on the beach. :)

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone....

The vendors do not bother me as I would rather see someone trying to earn a dollar that sitting on a curb looking for handouts. I have always found a polite and firm "no thank you" works for me.

We do want to snorkel but the cost for Tabyana is double the cost of Banarama and I would rather spend my money with "locals". If we want or need a snack we have the option to do so...the $30 per person extra for a "BBQ" seems pretty expensive.

Based on what I am reading here we will most likely choose Bananarama

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Having spent 4 weeks on West Bay beach I would choose Banannarama. More centrally located on the entire beach and Thirsty Turtle is a fun place. If you want to snorkel just walk a little way down to your left just past the Infinity Bay dock. That is where the reef comes closer to the beach and no boat traffic