Norwegian Dawn questions

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:44 AM.
Minnesota
2,245 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
I have some questions about the Dawn. We are thinking of doing the Boston to Quebec City itinerary in September and read CC's information on the ship. That mentioned crepes on the breakfast buffet--can anyone confirm this?

There was also mention of a white party at least one night.

Is Second City comedy on the ship? I read some reviews that there was no late night adult comedy?

Are there any other things that would be good to know before deciding on the ship/itinerary that is really worthwhile?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Norwegian Epic -- January 2017 (St. Thomas, Tortola, Great Stirrup Cay)
Carnival Breeze--January 2016 (Grand Turk, San Juan, St. Kitts, St. Maarten)
Carnival Conquest--January 2015 (Grand Turk, Dominican Republic, Curacao, Aruba)

Norwegian Dawn--September 2014 (Boston, Portland, Halifax, Charlottetown, Gaspe, La Baie, Quebec City)

Carnival Conquest--February 2014 (Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Belize, Isla Roatan)
Carnival Sunshine
--October 2013 (Venice, Dubrovnik, Athens, Izmir, Sicily, Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Civitavecchia (Rome/Vatican City), Naples, Marseilles, Barcelona)
Carnival Fascination--January 2013 (Nassau and Key West)
Carnival Victory--January 2012 (Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten)

Carnival Freedom--January 2011 (Cozumel, Costa Rica, Panama)
Carnival Spirit--August 2010 (Alaska)
Carnival Elation--January 2009 (Cabo San Lucas, Ensenada)
Carnival Sensation--January 2008 (Freeport and Nassau)
Carnival Victory--February 2007 (Costa Maya, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios)
San Francisco Bay Area, CA
1,595 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Great itinerary and fun ship. Quebec City was the highlight for us. Check roll calls around the time of your sailing about crepes, entertainment, etc as those things can change a year out.

Number 1 tip on this itinerary is dress warm. It was very cold in all the Quebec ports - heavy coats, gloves, hats.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Norwegian Star - Adrift off the Southern Australia coast Feb. 2017
Norwegian Gem - Southern Caribbean Nov. 2016
Norwegian Sun - South America westbound Jan. 2016
Norwegian Pearl -Vancouver Sept. 2015 & Miami Nov. 2015
Norwegian Star - Baltic Capitals May 2015 & Iceland Sept. 2013 & NOLA Jan. 2013
Norwegian Jade - Rome, Istanbul March 2014 & Barcelona Feb. 2011
Norwegian Dawn - Boston to Quebec City - October 2012
Norwegian Pride of America - Hawaii - Dec. 2011
RCCL - Splendour of the Seas - Venice, Greece, Turkey - May 2010
M/N Santa Cruz - Galapagos - August 2004
NCL Windward - Alaska - August 1996
NCL M/S Starward - Eastern Caribbean - Nov. 1991
MTS Pegasus - Greek Isles - July 1990
NCL M/S Southward - Baja Mexico - Sept. 1988
395 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
There were indeed crepes at both breakfast and dinner at the buffet on our Sept. Quebec City to Boston cruise. Maybe not every day, though. We only ate breakfast at the buffet a couple of times.
Cumberland Plateau of TN
4,682 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
a month ago, the Dawn did have crepes made at a crepe station. Fillings were 3 kinds of fruit plus a vanilla cream. It was close enough to the soft ice cream station that it was easy to add some on the side.

They had a Second City troupe onboard. The late night SC shows were a bit more adult, but not raunchy.

They had the white party on a sea day ... in the new Spinnaker Lounge which gets crowded easily and is somewhat claustrophobic, at least for me. This party depends a lot on the DJ and that is the luck of the draw for your cruise. Don't plan on being able to carry on a conversation at this party or at most of the musical entertainment.

We had Tim Kaminsky as the comedian, and I thought that he was very good. He was leaving right after we returned to the states, but I think that he is returning to the Dawn on his next contract. If he is on your cruise, definitely check him out.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
  • SS Lelani - Los Angeles to Honolulu - 1958
  • USS Hopewell DD-681 1965-1967 Los Angeles, San Francisco, Maui, Honolulu, Midway Island, Guam, Formosa, Japan, Hong Kong, Phillipines, Gulf of Tonkin, S. Vietnam
  • MS Wilderness Adventurer - Alaska - 2000
  • Norwegain Dawn - Eastern Caribbean March 2008
  • Norwegian Pearl - Western Caribbean - January 2009
  • HAL Ryndam - Western Caribbean - January 2011
  • Norwegian Dawn - Nov 2013 Western Caribbean
desert SW
9,654 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
I agree with the other posters. But I only saw/experienced the crepes in the evening. Many times I said I was just going to order one and forego the rest of the dinner. They are so good!

White Hot Party is held towards the end of the cruise. Remember to pack something white to wear - or buy a t-shirt in the gift shop.

Second City is on the Dawn. Not our kind of comedy so we skipped them.

Also we did the Boston-Quebec-Boston cruise just the past September/October and we had warm weather for the first 7 days. I'm glad I packed capris. It was cold and rainy only 1 or 2 days. Dress in layers.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
OceanDreaming2 <--email
Mary

Link to Norwegian Sun Alaska Rollcall -->> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

** Platinum Plus Norwegian Cruiser with 402 Latitudes Points **

Coming up:

Carnival Freedom: 7 day Caribbean cruise from Galveston
Norwegian Sun: 14 day Alaska! SFO to Vancouver
Celebrity Equinox: 10 days Dutch Antilles with our Cruzin Cuzins!
Ontario, Canada
8,231 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Originally posted by kingoftheicedragons
There was also mention of a white party at least one night.
FWIW It is called the white HOT party

Originally posted by herdingdogmom
Number 1 tip on this itinerary is dress warm. It was very cold in all the Quebec ports - heavy coats, gloves, hats.
Since the OP is from Minnesota and not CA, this advice is probably a little overkill. We rarely get weather that require hats and gloves that early in the season for anyone more used to the northern climate of the U.S. A warmer coat certainly would probably be useful while out at sea, not necessarily in port.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Acronyms most commonly found on on CC, NCL forum http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1642440

NCL Dawn 2-21-2009
NCL Star 2-21-2011
Carnival Glory 6-20-2013
NCL Dawn 2-9-2014

NO MORE CRUISING
Kentucky
13,192 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Originally posted by OceanDreaming2
I agree with the other posters. But I only saw/experienced the crepes in the evening. Many times I said I was just going to order one and forego the rest of the dinner. They are so good!

White Hot Party is held towards the end of the cruise. Remember to pack something white to wear - or buy a t-shirt in the gift shop.

Second City is on the Dawn. Not our kind of comedy so we skipped them.

Also we did the Boston-Quebec-Boston cruise just the past September/October and we had warm weather for the first 7 days. I'm glad I packed capris. It was cold and rainy only 1 or 2 days. Dress in layers.
Same here. Crepes only in the evening.
Yes to WHP and to Second City - both family and adult shows. Adult started late at 11 or 11:30 p.m. All shows always CROWDED so get there very early to secure a seat.
San Francisco Bay Area, CA
1,595 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Originally posted by che5904

Since the OP is from Minnesota and not CA, this advice is probably a little overkill. We rarely get weather that require hats and gloves that early in the season for anyone more used to the northern climate of the U.S. A warmer coat certainly would probably be useful while out at sea, not necessarily in port.
Hmm. I guess I need to clarify. Our cruise was the second week of October 2012. It sounds like September is a better bet for nice weather. On our cruise, gloves, hats and warm coats were necessary in Gaspe, LaBaie and Quebec City. But in Boston, Portland and Halifax the weather was warm and sunny. We were warned on our roll call, so we were prepared for the freezing temps and light snow, but many were not and got sick.

Have a great cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Norwegian Star - Adrift off the Southern Australia coast Feb. 2017
Norwegian Gem - Southern Caribbean Nov. 2016
Norwegian Sun - South America westbound Jan. 2016
Norwegian Pearl -Vancouver Sept. 2015 & Miami Nov. 2015
Norwegian Star - Baltic Capitals May 2015 & Iceland Sept. 2013 & NOLA Jan. 2013
Norwegian Jade - Rome, Istanbul March 2014 & Barcelona Feb. 2011
Norwegian Dawn - Boston to Quebec City - October 2012
Norwegian Pride of America - Hawaii - Dec. 2011
RCCL - Splendour of the Seas - Venice, Greece, Turkey - May 2010
M/N Santa Cruz - Galapagos - August 2004
NCL Windward - Alaska - August 1996
NCL M/S Starward - Eastern Caribbean - Nov. 1991
MTS Pegasus - Greek Isles - July 1990
NCL M/S Southward - Baja Mexico - Sept. 1988
desert SW
9,654 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Originally posted by Barb Nahoumi
I wish that this cruise was round trip. To get back to Boston, we'd need to do a B2B, or
fly home.

Do most people fly or bus back home?
We did the B2B - only one repeat port.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
OceanDreaming2 <--email
Mary

Link to Norwegian Sun Alaska Rollcall -->> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

** Platinum Plus Norwegian Cruiser with 402 Latitudes Points **

Coming up:

Carnival Freedom: 7 day Caribbean cruise from Galveston
Norwegian Sun: 14 day Alaska! SFO to Vancouver
Celebrity Equinox: 10 days Dutch Antilles with our Cruzin Cuzins!
NB Canada
912 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Originally posted by herdingdogmom
Hmm. I guess I need to clarify. Our cruise was the second week of October 2012. It sounds like September is a better bet for nice weather. On our cruise, gloves, hats and warm coats were necessary in Gaspe, LaBaie and Quebec City. But in Boston, Portland and Halifax the weather was warm and sunny. We were warned on our roll call, so we were prepared for the freezing temps and light snow, but many were not and got sick.

Have a great cruise.

Freezing temps and light snow in October? I think someone was joking with you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Miracle and WDW - December 2010 (pics)
Carnival Paradise - March 5, 2012 (pics)
Disney Dream and Magic Kingdom - March 2013 (pics)
NCL Dawn - July 2014 (pics)
Carnival Glory - December 2015 (pics)

Carnival Glory Dec 26 2015 Trip Review