outside medical ins coverage

ncbn0902

We usually don't get insurance, but on our next cruise it will be our longest cruise and with some of the recent incidents that have happened on cruises (all being normal incidents that could happen anywhere). We were thinking about getting the health insurance. Has anyone used Medex insurance? We don't expect any problems but wanted to look into getting the outside insurance just in case.

Any help would be helpful

Thanks in advance

I haven't used Medex specifically, but have purchased insurance for both of our past cruises, and will continue to do so going forward. Someone here on CC had told me to check out https://www.insuremytrip.com/ and I'm very glad I did. DW and I are both in our 30s in good health, so it only costs us around $20-$30 total for a week long trip. Some people will say it's not worth it, especially for younger, healthier people. Unfortunately, I tend to be a worrier. For me the nominal price I pay for the insurance is WELL worth it for the peace of mind I feel knowing that if something were to happen, we are covered.

Cannot imagine cruising without insurance - specifically health/medical. Easy to run up $25,000 in evacuation costs. Even using medical for routine/accidental needs is expensive, and often in a foreign country has to paid for up front. Even young, healthy people have accidents, appendicitis, etc.

First check out what your own personal insurance covers and go from there. Insure my trip is a good place to start.

Don't know why you wouldn't have insurance, ever.

Something could happen to you at anytime that might require emergency repartiration from the ship along with medical treatment that could run into hundreds of thousands of $$$

I would suggest checking with your existing health insurance too. We have bought annual travel medical insurance for the past few years. I was recently looking through my husband's benefits. Turns out we have 100% coverage up to $5 million each included. That was a nice surprise!

I have cruised since 1990 and have always had insurance. In 2002 my mom got sick and had to be air lifted out of mexico. By the time everything was said and done, that trip cost us 22,000; travel insurance paid all of it except $300.00 for the conversion of US dollars into Pesos.

We have used Access America and Travel Guard, both were great. I have since used the ships insurance and it has a lot of fine print so beware. I prefer non-ship insurance.

I like the rest of this board would not leave home without it.

HF