Verrazano bridge or Holland tunnel route to Brooklyn Cruise Terminal?

birdiebill

We are driving from Bethlehem, PA to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal at Red Hook on Saturday morning, Oct 3. Due to ongoing construction are we better off taking the Verrazano Bridge route as was recommended months ago or the Holland Tunnel route?

We will be coming on I 78 to Goethals and then over the Verrazano bridge or I 78 through the Holland Tunnel.

We are driving from Bethlehem, PA to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal at Red Hook on Saturday morning, Oct 3. Due to ongoing construction are we better off taking the Verrazano Bridge route as was recommended months ago or the Holland Tunnel route?

We will be coming on I 78 to Goethals and then over the Verrazano bridge or I 78 through the Holland Tunnel.

Ha, there's ongong highway & road (re)constructions all over NYC and nearby - the Outerbridge Crossing closures won't affect your run to the BCT, so I would lean on using the VZB approach - depending on whether you are (still) using Garmin Nav or Google Map/Nav or iOS Maps, both with real-time Waze integration, the projected ETA is practically the same - going thru SI is a longer route by 7 miles but no real difference in time. Coming thru HT meant slowing & stopping for about 10+ traffic lights along Canal Street going cross-town before the Manhattan or Brooklyn Bridge, unless you pay another $5.56 (EZ-Pass discounted rate) to use the BBT via downtown Manhattan, as that will save you time.

Otherwise, I would lean towardon the SI crossing being a bit better, and the EZ-Pass lanes tend not to be blocked. We're using the HOV-3 lane last week & zipped right up to the bridge after a brief bottleneck leaving the toll plaza, and it's a fairly straight drive the rest of the way to the Hamilton Avenue exit for the Brooklyn terminal via Browne Street to Clinton Street. Weekend mornings, traffic is usually light inbound for the city.

Please check the 7online.com (WABC Ch.7 local news station) website before leaving for last minute alert & traffic updates, etc.

I would take the SI Expy. Construction on it is just about complete and traffic is flowing beautifully even on a weekday so Saturday should be a breeze. You will not encounter any tolls going over the Verazzano Bridge on your way in....tolls are in effect when going back to SI. You will have tolls coming in on the Goethals Bridge

Have a great trip!

Edited by Love the beach