My First Bayonne Experience

ChucktownSteve

Embarkation for a Celebrity Summit was a smooth process on 9/5/15. They had plenty of chairs for those of us who arrived before 11am. We got handed a number based upon whether you were in the privileged cabins/Captains Club status or not.

Debarkation was a whole different matter. Since we had a mid afternoon flight we selected a 9am departure time. We were assigned group 23. They were actually running ahead of schedule until they got to group 20 then stopped all debarkation for over 30 minutes. I heard Customs was backed up because they only had three agents working. We were able to leave the ship at 9:30 after two additional agents showed up.

Finding transportation isn't as easy as I expected. No one working outside would give me a proper answer about where to find the transportation to EWR. Finally someone directed me to stand on this long line for a bus. I didn't find out until the agent got to me later that the line I was directed to stand in was only for pre-paid transportation.

I was then directed to the taxi stand 50 feet back. The same one I passed with nobody inside. I did manage to get on a taxi van almost immediately once I found the right place.

It did work in my favor though. It only cost me $20/pp including any tolls plus tip from Cape Liberty to my airport terminal.

Overall had a great trip. We liked our stay at the Robert Treat Best Western thankx to Carol's recommendation. Had a WONDERFUL cruise on the Summit. So all in all the good heavily outweighed the inconvenient.

Thankx for everyone's help and guidance through these long threads. I've learned a lot of useful info.

Glad it worked out so well for you. You got a great "deal" on your airport transportation. You're right - finding the taxi dispatcher seems to be more confusing at the new terminal. I'm hesitant to give folks advice as to what time they should disembark to make a flight because of unpredictable issues like no customs agents and lack of livery cars.

I'll be curious to hear the aftermath of the Anthem TA arrival in Nov - first time in the US, 4000+ people, no cars parked at Cape Liberty, and a ton of folks with non-US passports.

Glad it worked out so well for you. You got a great "deal" on your airport transportation. You're right - finding the taxi dispatcher seems to be more confusing at the new terminal. I'm hesitant to give folks advice as to what time they should disembark to make a flight because of unpredictable issues like no customs agents and lack of livery cars.

I'll be curious to hear the aftermath of the Anthem TA arrival in Nov - first time in the US, 4000+ people, no cars parked at Cape Liberty, and a ton of folks with non-US passports.

Hi Carol,

A quick follow-up to your post on Cape Liberty in November. My family and I are traveling on the Nov. 22 Anthem sailing. You mentioned something about "no cars parked at Cape Liberty." Could you elaborate? We recently sailed on the Liberty of the Seas out of Cape Liberty and found the parking lot across from the Terminal very convenient. Are things changing in November when the Anthem arrives? Thanks in advance for your response.

Hi Carol,

A quick follow-up to your post on Cape Liberty in November. My family and I are traveling on the Nov. 22 Anthem sailing. You mentioned something about "no cars parked at Cape Liberty." Could you elaborate? We recently sailed on the Liberty of the Seas out of Cape Liberty and found the parking lot across from the Terminal very convenient. Are things changing in November when the Anthem arrives? Thanks in advance for your response.

I believe she was referring to the Trans Atlantic sailing where their cars are left at the embarkation port if they drove.

Yes, that's correct. For any repo or transatlantic it is not possible to park at Cape Liberty. The Anthem is coming from Europe, so no one will have a car parked at Cape Liberty. Maybe at Newark Airport somewhere, but not at the port.

This is also our first cruise out of Cape Liberty- Not worried about leaving but plan on doing self disembarkation and not sure about how to get to EWR when we return . Are there taxis waiting? should we do a private car service. I know on all of our other cruises (mostly out of FLL )there are always a bunch of cabs waiting. Thanks for any information

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be on that cruise.:eek::eek:

We have requested a 9 am disembark. What time would you think we should have our car service pick us up? I am sure that getting all of us through the process will take a LONG time. We are US citizens, and we will not be able to self-disembark with our larger bags.

I'll be on that cruise.:eek::eek:

We have requested a 9 am disembark. What time would you think we should have our car service pick us up? I am sure that getting all of us through the process will take a LONG time. We are US citizens, and we will not be able to self-disembark with our larger bags.

I'd love to help, but I wouldn't venture a guess for that cruise. I've sailed from Cape Liberty 15+ times and no two disembarkations were the same. I've never arrived on a repo or TA where no one had a parked car at the port.

Maybe someone who did the Quantum TA last year will post about an actual experience.

I'm also on the Anthem TA and will come back here to report. :)

As I mentioned on another thread, we are heading to EWR to rent a car. (No time pressure for us.) We'll take a taxi or the van, but in reading comments above, it sounds like it may be hard to find the right place to get the van to the airport. Can anyone describe where we go once we clear immigration?

Thanks!