Seven Mile Beach: best spot for good local food and drinks?

TheWulf

Looking for a good spot on 7MB that will serve up good local food without the stuffy atmosphere. The ideal spot would be a bbq shack right on the beach, serving up good conch / seafood, possibly some jerk, beer (caybrew/red stripe), and hopefully some turtle.

Does this magical place exist, or are we limited to fancy tables in a restaurant atmosphere? We honestly just want to walk up to a shack, grab our food and drinks and enjoy it on the beach, but really don't want to sacrifice food quality for it - not interested in burgers and the like.

If not on 7MB, is there another beach spot somewhere on the island where we can be satisfied?

Thanks for the replies!

Edit: we're also not opposed to takeout from somewhere nearby in town and taking it to the beach if that's the only option (recommendations welcome here too)

Edited by TheWulf

Cayman has very few beach shack bars or restauratns. Closest match to all your requirements is definitely off the beaten track...

The Grape Tree Cafe is at CoeWood Beach in Bodden Town. It is little more than a shack serving local food - not sure if turtle is on the menu. However I don't think they have a liquor license. You can buy a six pack at the liquor store by the gas station next door.

Access is possible by bus but you might want a rental car. This location could be combined with tourist stops in the Eastern Districts such as Pedros Castle or the Botanic Park.

As far as closest match on Seven Mile Beach.... that would go to Calico Jacks next to the Public Beach section of Seven Mile Beach.

Calico Jacks is definitely more tourist focused with more burgers and less island foods. They do have a liquor license and can offer up a cold one in bottles or on draft.

I think Grape Tree is only open on weekends...I'd check first.

On Seven Mile Beach, it's pretty much all tourist-type places. Nice, but not what you describe you're dreaming of. I'd rent a car and go exploring. When you see someplace interesting, stop and have a snack.

There are lots of good jerk places off the beach. There's one on the old road out to the eastern districts, just past Hurleys Supermarket, beside the Prospect Playhouse maybe? It's a wooden picnic-shelter-type structure with a bunch of grills...not sure if it has a name, but the food is great. Drew, do you know where I mean?

Thanks for all the tips!

Looks like we may rent a car and drive around. Found 125cc scooters at Cayman Auto Rentals which seems like the perfect option!

Heritage Kitchen looks like a great spot; I'll add that to this list.

Any other suggestions island-wide, feel free to chime in!

There are lots of good jerk places off the beach. There's one on the old road out to the eastern districts, just past Hurleys Supermarket, beside the Prospect Playhouse maybe? It's a wooden picnic-shelter-type structure with a bunch of grills...not sure if it has a name, but the food is great. Drew, do you know where I mean?

Sounds like the Red bay jerk Stand to me. Not on the beach, but good island food. Their hot jerk sauce actually delivers on its promise and earns respect from spicy food lovers. It is on the left just past the On the Run gas station. Could be a good lunch spot to combine with a tour of the nearby Cayman Islands Brewery.

Further out, just before reaching Bodden Town you will see the Rankin Jerk Center. Look for the fiberglass cow on the right side of the road to mark the turn.

Or most of the way though Bodden Town and you will see Chester's Fish Fry - Home of the Buy 1 Jerk, Get 1 free sign... alas the special is only Friday and Saturday nights. For some reason tourists seem to enjoy taking a picture of that sign though. They really are known more for jerk than for fried fish, but other island favourites are also on the menu.

• 2 weeks later...
I know it's on this forum somewhre. lol But, does anyone know the cost of a taxi or bus to Royal Palms for a family of 4?

We sail in 13 days. Trying to get my budget together.

$2.50 per person so $10 for the 4 of you is what I have read on several occassions here on the forums