Tequila question ?

cabinfever60

DO any of you Tequila drinkers out there know if they serve Patron Silver on board the Coral Princess?

The AIBP evaluation spreadsheet that was graciously put together by another poster lists the following Tequilas:

Cazadores Reposado

Cuervo 1800

Cuervo Gold

Don Julio Blanco

Don Julio Reposado

House Tequila

Milagro Silver

Patron Silver

Edit to add: Corporate HQ buys in bulk, so while there are variations from ship to ship, for the most part the selections on board are fairly consistent.

Edited by JimmyVWine

The AIBP evaluation spreadsheet that was graciously put together by another poster lists the following Tequilas:

Cazadores Reposado

Cuervo 1800

Cuervo Gold

Don Julio Blanco

Don Julio Reposado

House Tequila

Milagro Silver

Patron Silver

Edit to add: Corporate HQ buys in bulk, so while there are variations from ship to ship, for the most part the selections on board are fairly consistent.

If only they sold Squirt.... :(

as a serious tequila fan, may I humbly suggest you try the Cazadores?

Patron isn't bad tequila, but it's terribly overpriced. All that frat-boy-cache costs money.

Cazadores (and, if you ever come across it, Jimador) are excellent blancos, with a much smaller price tag.

Personally I don't understand the fascination people have with Patron. Other than the fact that it has a "cool bottle" it just seems to be an over priced tequila. I would much rather drink Cazadores any day. (Of course I generally tend to drink Rye, Bourbon, Scotch, or Irish...)

As always, taste is individual and it's good news for you that Princess carries the tequila you prefer. :)

The AIBP spreadsheet is good but it doesn't list items such as Pernod which I was able to get when I asked onboard. I'm a weirdo who likes Pernod and OJ rather than the traditional Mimosa.

I'm a Squirt guy myself, that's why I bring mind on board with me because I know they don't serve it on the ship!!!!

Has to be the proper south of the border stuff (i.e. made with cane sugar and not the high fructose concoction) but T&S is the ultimate refreshing long drink. There's a reason why supermercados run out of the stuff on a Friday evening...

I'm with you!!! I don't know why Patron is so popular it's what my DW likes, I only drink Cognac it has been my drink of choice for over 35yrs now. I also have learned over the years of just drinking Cognac I know Exactly how many SHOTS I can have to be able to still drive back to my cabin safely, LOL!!! and not only do I drink my max, I get to do it on Princess dine, because I have the AIBP for my next three cruises and plan on using it everyday from the moment I wake up, until I rest my head on my pillow each night. So I will enjoy all of my cruises and have a good time and meet a lot of nice people, all without getting Intoxicated and ruining the cruise for someone else. So if you see me onboard on one of your cruises, let's go have a drink on me!!! or should I say on Princess.

as a serious tequila fan, may I humbly suggest you try the Cazadores?

Patron isn't bad tequila, but it's terribly overpriced. All that frat-boy-cache costs money.

Cazadores (and, if you ever come across it, Jimador) are excellent blancos, with a much smaller price tag.

If I'm sipping a Tequila slowly and neat then IMHO you can't go wrong with either the Cazadores or Don Julio Reposados. But I'll give you a +1 for Jimador (esp. the Reposado) - my companion in a tall glass alongside Squirt. :)

One thing that is nice is that the Margarita's at the Platinum/Elite lounge is served with Patron. Not a bad deal for $5. In fact most of the alcohol is premium at the lounge.

Actually, they switched the El Mejor Margarita over to Don Julio a while back (at least a couple of years ago). I did find it amusing when I did a 2 night repo cruise sitting at the bar for the elite lounge, I was astounded at the number of bottles of Don Julio they were going through that night. (For me, the El Mejor is pretty much my drink of choice on Princess.)

Personally I don't understand the fascination people have with Patron. Other than the fact that it has a "cool bottle" it just seems to be an over priced tequila. I would much rather drink Cazadores any day. (Of course I generally tend to drink Rye, Bourbon, Scotch, or Irish...)

As always, taste is individual and it's good news for you that Princess carries the tequila you prefer. :)

The AIBP spreadsheet is good but it doesn't list items such as Pernod which I was able to get when I asked onboard. I'm a weirdo who likes Pernod and OJ rather than the traditional Mimosa.

Cazadores is what we used to call "table tequila". It's great and we loved it, but it became popular in the USA and the price skyrocketed. Still better priced than Patron, but I remember when I could buy a bottle for $20-something...

It's good stuff, but supply and demand increased the price :(

Try Fortaleza. It's not cheap and a little hard to find. I am not a tequila drinker, but DW and our best friends love it.

We had dinner in San Diego a few years ago with the son of the owner of the Fortaleza distillery. It's still made the old family way in small batch cooper stills.

First thing I did was buy a bottle when we returned home and our tequila drinking friends loved it.

I am pretty sure it will never show up at a cruise bar.

• 2 weeks later...

Tequila is a matter of personal taste.

If you drink it straight on the rocks or a shot with 7-up or Sprite I have found that Don Julio blanco or Partida blanco is very mild with no aftertaste. Patron has an aftertaste. It has high desirability because of its marketing--they have done a good job making it popular, but since then others have come forward that are better. (similar to the Yeti tumbler situation) Casadores is pretty good and El Jimador seems to taste like kerosene if you compare it in a taste test with Don Julio. However--if that is all you have and if it is mixed with the other sweet mixes that masks the taste--then just about any of them is OK. In the end--it is a matter of taste. This statement is not to disagree with anyone's favorite tequila but it is simply my opinion--and that is usually not worth a whole lot on these posts.

And in a side note--if you are in Cozumel--go to the MEGA store where they have plenty of tequila for sale and it is very cheap. Example $15 for Don Julio.

Tequila is a matter of personal taste.

If you drink it straight on the rocks or a shot with 7-up or Sprite I have found that Don Julio blanco or Partida blanco is very mild with no aftertaste. Patron has an aftertaste. It has high desirability because of its marketing--they have done a good job making it popular, but since then others have come forward that are better. (similar to the Yeti tumbler situation) Casadores is pretty good and El Jimador seems to taste like kerosene if you compare it in a taste test with Don Julio. However--if that is all you have and if it is mixed with the other sweet mixes that masks the taste--then just about any of them is OK. In the end--it is a matter of taste. This statement is not to disagree with anyone's favorite tequila but it is simply my opinion--and that is usually not worth a whole lot on these posts.

And in a side note--if you are in Cozumel--go to the MEGA store where they have plenty of tequila for sale and it is very cheap. Example $15 for Don Julio.

Ever tried Oro Azul? It was quite tasty actually.

Yes, I actually have a bottle of Azul and Cabo Wabo. Azul is pretty good but for the same price the Partida is (in my opinion) smoother although hard to find. Total Wine carries it. I am always open to trying a new Tequila. There are so many out there now it would be nearly impossible to try them all. We just have to get one we like and enjoy it. For me it is Don Julio or Partida-which is about $15 less than Don.