Food Allergies and Empress of the Sea

We have a cruise booked for the end of May and and we just got off a celebrity ship last weekend. Both our daughters have food allergies, but while on the trip our 5 year old had a terrible reaction and we struggled with the food on the ship as well for both of them. I was wondering if anyone has experience on Empress of the Seas with food allergies and how they are with dairy, egg, banana, peanut, sesame, and almond.

Thank you

I have numerous food allergies. For this reason we eat dinner in the MDR at a fixed time so we have the same waitstaff. On the first night, I present the head waiter with a list of my food allergies. I am given the next night's menu in advance to see if substitutions can be made and we work out my menu in advance. In general you are better off eating all meals in the MDR rather than the Windjammer.

The worse the allergy the more likely you should avoid buffets, you probably already know that. Even in the best buffets with knowledgeable staff, passengers will cross contaninate food very quickly.

My sensitivity (not medically an allergy) is not severe. I can tolerate amounts found in cross contamination so I have no issues personally eating at a buffet.

However in the MDR I work with the Headwaiter to ensure I don't have anything in my meal that will be a problem. Cruise lines all say the MDR is the location to be for allergy issues.

Go with fixed dining so you stay with the same wait staff the entire cruise. I've never had a reaction and I've even had waiters tell me what's safe to sample from my wife's plate (grin).

Sent from my LG-D852 using Forums mobile app

Thank you both! This is very good information. We will stick with the MDR and be sure to present the staff with the allergies right when boarding the ship.

We always stay away from the buffets as my daughters have had reactions due to cross contaminations. What do you do for breakfast and lunch? Do you still eat in the MDR?

Thanks again

Breakfast is served in the MDR daily...but lunch is only served on SEA DAYS....so on port days, you'll need to do your due diligence wherever you eat!

Thank you! We always bring lots of food with us so maybe we will just back some factory sealed items to bring with us off the boat for port days.

If you need to eat at the wind jammer - as to speak with the chef there and they will help you get 'uncontaminated' items from the kitchen area. I would suggest having a list of simple go to foods that they could likely get for you - fruits, veggies, applesauce, grilled chicken etc

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My son too, has severe allergies. We sailed on Navigator last year and ran into a small issue with how the info got passed along.

I had contacted RCI guest services prior to cruising and they said to tell guest services on board, as well as the maitre d'. We did both soon after we boarded the ship, however we figured out on the second day that nobody knew about his allergies (I forget how we figured that out).

Anyway, we went back to the dining room and spoke to a different maitre d'. We watched him make notes of it, and from then on it was never a problem (in the MDR). Our waiter, and the head waiter, checked on my son frequently to make sure he had the food he wanted and was taken care of. They couldn't have been more accommodating and nice about it. To be honest, we didn't have particularly good service on that cruise overall...but their attitude and caring really left us with a positive opinion of the ship as a whole when we left.

(Moral of the story...just double check your first night/meal there to make sure your waitstaff is aware of it.)

Thank you both! This is very good information. We will stick with the MDR and be sure to present the staff with the allergies right when boarding the ship.

We always stay away from the buffets as my daughters have had reactions due to cross contaminations. What do you do for breakfast and lunch? Do you still eat in the MDR?

Thanks again

That is what my daughter does. My 2 grandsons have peanut allergy and discusses with the Maitre D' or Headwaiter on embarkation day the dietary restrictions.

My son too, has severe allergies. We sailed on Navigator last year and ran into a small issue with how the info got passed along.

I had contacted RCI guest services prior to cruising and they said to tell guest services on board, as well as the maitre d'. We did both soon after we boarded the ship, however we figured out on the second day that nobody knew about his allergies (I forget how we figured that out).

Anyway, we went back to the dining room and spoke to a different maitre d'. We watched him make notes of it, and from then on it was never a problem (in the MDR). Our waiter, and the head waiter, checked on my son frequently to make sure he had the food he wanted and was taken care of. They couldn't have been more accommodating and nice about it. To be honest, we didn't have particularly good service on that cruise overall...but their attitude and caring really left us with a positive opinion of the ship as a whole when we left.

(Moral of the story...just double check your first night/meal there to make sure your waitstaff is aware of it.)

Thank you for the information. We know the first night can be tricky so I will be sure to be persistent and double check everything. If there is ever a doubt, I never give them the food. I would rather be safe :)

If you need to eat at the wind jammer - as to speak with the chef there and they will help you get 'uncontaminated' items from the kitchen area. I would suggest having a list of simple go to foods that they could likely get for you - fruits, veggies, applesauce, grilled chicken etc

Great idea to have a list of go to foods! I will have to write one and take lots of copies with us. Thank you for the great tip!

Fortunately my food allergies seem to have disappeared over the years but I still have many drugs, especially antibiotics which cause severe allergic reactions. I have compiled a list of all medical issues on my computer and print and carry a copy at all times.

If you compile a list of your children's allergies and hand it to MDR or Windjammer person in charge I believe you will have better success and less worries.

I also struggle with food allergies and have had such great experiences onboard! Definitely talk with the head waiter on your first night, and they'll let you pre-order for the next day (breakfast and dinner). It also helps to find one of the headwaters or managers in the Windjammer. On multiple ships, I've been able to have the chef cook items to order in the kitchen to avoid cross-contamination on the buffet lines. Sometimes I had to wait a little longer, but it was so worth it to be able to eat safely. And, they went above and beyond with trying to find new things I would like. I found that a little patience and a thank you went a really long way. Your daughter will have a great experience!