Can the island handle 10 cruise ships???

waterbugohio

Just read on our roll call that there will be 10 ships in St Maarten the day we are there??

Can this port handle that many ships?? There are a couple that I've never heard of. Two AIDA ships, 1 Tomson, 3 P&O, 1 Azamara, and 3 Royal Caribbean.

So glad we are doing a boat tour. Cannot imagine who busy the beaches and shopping will be

Just read on our roll call that there will be 10 ships in St Maarten the day we are there??

Can this port handle that many ships?? There are a couple that I've never heard of. Two AIDA ships, 1 Tomson, 3 P&O, 1 Azamara, and 3 Royal Caribbean.

So glad we are doing a boat tour. Cannot imagine who busy the beaches and shopping will be

O-M-G that sounds simply awful. I know Grand turk was really packed with 2 ships - carnival conquest and magic. 😨

What part of the OH are you from? I'm from Warren.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Forums mobile app

Not sure about 10, but satbeachbill's link shows 7. All around the same time in port. Cruisett only shows 3 and none in Marigot. I would assume the smaller vessels will anchor and tender in. But yes, it will be crowded. Best to have an excursion.

I checked my go to which is the Port of St Maarten and it showed 7. Six will dock and one will anchor in the water in front of the town.

To me it's not the number of the cruise ships themselves but rather the number of people that they will be carrying altogether.

It looks like a perfect day to be out in a boat or to rent a car if you are familiar with the island and visit Pinel Island or Grand Case to me or a beach that is not that popular such as Prune Baie or Happy.

Edited by Karysa

OK, well in checking the above mentioned sites, I see anywhere from 3 to 10 ships.

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/visitingphilipsburgstmaarten-16nov2016.html

Is the site I used first when I saw the 10. But never heard of some of the lines, so not sure how small they are.

Do know for sure Freedom, Anthem and Harmony are there. And sorry if I didn't give the date, its Nov. 16th

Regardless, we know it will be busy and we have a boat tour booked with Robinsons. So we should be good there. Just hope we can get a seat at the "Buckeye Bar" for one drink before heading back on the ship. We are in port till 6 that day, so maybe the other ships will start clearing out before us.

(And for the others from Ohio, we are mid state, but all the way to the Indiana border. So quite a ways from Warren. And about 80 miles from Findlay)

OK, well in checking the above mentioned sites, I see anywhere from 3 to 10 ships.

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/visitingphilipsburgstmaarten-16nov2016.html

Is the site I used first when I saw the 10. But never heard of some of the lines, so not sure how small they are.

Do know for sure Freedom, Anthem and Harmony are there. And sorry if I didn't give the date, its Nov. 16th

Regardless, we know it will be busy and we have a boat tour booked with Robinsons. So we should be good there. Just hope we can get a seat at the "Buckeye Bar" for one drink before heading back on the ship. We are in port till 6 that day, so maybe the other ships will start clearing out before us.

(And for the others from Ohio, we are mid state, but all the way to the Indiana border. So quite a ways from Warren. And about 80 miles from Findlay)

The mentioned site shows 7 ships -three of them were entered twice, making it look like 10 at quick glance. Anyway, if fully loaded they will be bringing about 23,000 visitors to the island that day - a fairly large group for an island whose total population is about 75,000.

You will definitely want to have a prepared plan for your day if you do not want to be among literally thousands milling about wondering what to do.

We spend some time on the island every January - and simply hunker down on days with that many visitors stepping ashore: the roads and towns are over-burdened between 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM.