Cartagena, Spain

Just opposite the dock is the pedestrianised shopping area - Calle Mayor where you will find lots of places to eat and drink as well as plenty of shops. The famous chocolate cafe is VALOR (they are all over Spain) but I recommend you also order a glass or bottle of water as the drink is so thick!!

Other ideas for Cartagena are: a hoho bus tour (stops opposite the terminal) or boat trip around the port, or visit the Castle. This is a fine city and as many others have stated the architecture is superb. Walking is easy and everything is close by - except El Corte Ingles (department store) for which I suggest a taxi.

As a major port it has a fine Naval Museum and the first submarine can be seen on the lovely port walkway.

Enjoy!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Just opposite the dock is the pedestrianised shopping area - Calle Mayor where you will find lots of places to eat and drink as well as plenty of shops. The famous chocolate cafe is VALOR (they are all over Spain) but I recommend you also order a glass or bottle of water as the drink is so thick!!

Other ideas for Cartagena are: a hoho bus tour (stops opposite the terminal) or boat trip around the port, or visit the Castle. This is a fine city and as many others have stated the architecture is superb. Walking is easy and everything is close by - except El Corte Ingles (department store) for which I suggest a taxi.

As a major port it has a fine Naval Museum and the first submarine can be seen on the lovely port walkway.

Enjoy!!!

We will be in Cartagena in September - where does the hoho bus take you? Is it worth it or should we just do the walking around on our own? thanks for any info

Donna

We visited Cartagena while on a TA cruise last December - and it was a lovely surprise for us too.

As mentioned here - very easy to access. Just step off the ship and there you are. The dug out Roman Theater is a delight!

A picture is supposed to be better than many words.. so here is a link to our set of photos from there.. Just click on "slideshow" (upper right, and F11 if you want to see in full screen mode)

Miriam

You know that the city itself is VERY similar to Cartagena Columbias' walled city

There is a website http://www.cartagena.es which may help. The tourist BOAT leaves at 10.30/11.30/12.30/13.30 15.30 etc.from the central port area and the BUS 10.30/11.30/12.30/13.30/16.30 - there was a tourist cabin across the road from the port promenade. We felt is gave a good overview of the main town, but did not access the major attractions such as the Roman Theatre or Castle - which are best done on foot, a very easy walk from the ship - together with a stroll down the pedestrianised area - full of interesting shops and cafes!

I hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
We visited Cartagena while on a TA cruise last December - and it was a lovely surprise for us too.

As mentioned here - very easy to access. Just step off the ship and there you are. The dug out Roman Theater is a delight!

A picture is supposed to be better than many words.. so here is a link to our set of photos from there.. Just click on "slideshow" (upper right, and F11 if you want to see in full screen mode)

Miriam

Miriam, your pictures are lovely and the info on Cartagena was great thanks.

I know you went to Tenerife, I saw the pictures can you tell me please what tour you did. I see it is very hilly so likely walking will be what I can do, too far. Thanks Sue

Miriam, your pictures are lovely and the info on Cartagena was great thanks.

I know you went to Tenerife, I saw the pictures can you tell me please what tour you did. I see it is very hilly so likely walking will be what I can do, too far. Thanks Sue

Sue, I am glad you liked our photos. :D

About Tenerife.. We took the ship's tour called Orotava Valley and Pueble Chico (I had to look it up!). We chose this one because it indeed involved a walking tour of the old town of Orotava, and we thought that it would be nice to do some walking on terra firma after (and before!) all those sea days. It was very nice but I am not sure how it compares to other excursions offered. Many people opted for the Loro amusement park and liked that too..

Are you going to dock also in Madeira? If so, check our photos there too.. It's another place where you don't need to take a shore excursion and can manage nicely on your own..

Happy Sailing!!!!!

Miriam

Sue, I am glad you liked our photos. :D

About Tenerife.. We took the ship's tour called Orotava Valley and Pueble Chico (I had to look it up!). We chose this one because it indeed involved a walking tour of the old town of Orotava, and we thought that it would be nice to do some walking on terra firma after (and before!) all those sea days. It was very nice but I am not sure how it compares to other excursions offered. Many people opted for the Loro amusement park and liked that too..

Are you going to dock also in Madeira? If so, check our photos there too.. It's another place where you don't need to take a shore excursion and can manage nicely on your own..

Happy Sailing!!!!!

Miriam

Thanks for your reply and no we are not going to Maderia. Sue

• 3 weeks later...

Miriam

Lovely pictures. Where are all the cars? Loved the little doggie! Can't wait to explore.

• 3 months later...
It took some SERIOUS internet digging, but here's the information on the Cartagena hop on/off bus (I'm not too sure it's acually a hoho, though). It picks up at the pier. Cost is 4 Euros each.

http://www.cartagenapuertodeculturas.com/publicas/que_visitar/bus_turistico/_UiqOERRSBqv_rzYFzasZD7LM_nWEsaIBTEMiylL0BqY

No, it's not a HoHo, lots of people were complaining about that from our cruise.

However, we didn't care as someone in our roll-call found an excellent local guide, and we did a 3hr walking tour for about €15/ea

hi guys,

interested in seeing the roman theatre etc in November when we stop off on our ta, is it well signposted to there and is it far to walk?

Can anyone remember this hot chocolate place? I want to try it!

I have just had an operation on my heel and wont be fully recovered by the time november comes around :(

The Roman Theatre is very close to the ship. down the main promenade where people walk, you will see the sign. Don't go too far or you have missed it.

There was also good tourist info as soon as we got off the ship

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We will be in Cartagena with the cruise. Can anyone recommend a nice beach there. We would take a tour in the morning and would like to go to the beach in the afternoon.

Thanks in advance

I don't remember seeing a beach anywhere near the port.. But then we just walked up to visit the town - which is so close to the port. But I am sure the Tourist Office people who will be on the dock will be able to help you..

Miriam

• 1 year later...

Hallo Miriam

I am so pleased found your thread on Cruise Critic re disembarking in Cartagena.

Yesterday we were advised our cruise from LA to Miami had been cancelled. We are due to fly from Australia to LA on Saturday so you can imagine the made panic to find an alternative cruise yesterday. Fortunately we found one but it leaves 3 days later than our original cruise so puts all our plans in mess if we don't arrive in Miami on 26th April. The only thing we can do is get off in Cartagena then immediately catch a plane to Fort Lauderdale. So, we have booked plan tickets today.

Our problem is no-one can tell us what happens when we leave the ship so I thought that having been through this process you may be able to enlighten us. It is a tight schedule with the ship docking at midday and the plane leaving at 3.30pm. We hope to arrrange with the ship to be first off the ship and try and clear customs asap, but we have no idea where customs is located. Of course we would then catch a taxi directly to the airport. Hate arriving in a different country and not having a chance to see anything except what we glimpse on the way.

Miriam, any information and/or advice you can pass on will be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou and regards

Cathy & Iain McKenzie

• 2 weeks later...
Hallo Miriam

I am so pleased found your thread on Cruise Critic re disembarking in Cartagena.

Yesterday we were advised our cruise from LA to Miami had been cancelled. We are due to fly from Australia to LA on Saturday so you can imagine the made panic to find an alternative cruise yesterday. Fortunately we found one but it leaves 3 days later than our original cruise so puts all our plans in mess if we don't arrive in Miami on 26th April. The only thing we can do is get off in Cartagena then immediately catch a plane to Fort Lauderdale. So, we have booked plan tickets today.

Our problem is no-one can tell us what happens when we leave the ship so I thought that having been through this process you may be able to enlighten us. It is a tight schedule with the ship docking at midday and the plane leaving at 3.30pm. We hope to arrrange with the ship to be first off the ship and try and clear customs asap, but we have no idea where customs is located. Of course we would then catch a taxi directly to the airport. Hate arriving in a different country and not having a chance to see anything except what we glimpse on the way.

Miriam, any information and/or advice you can pass on will be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou and regards

Cathy & Iain McKenzie

Hi Cathy

I am so sorry I haven\t seen this before.. We've been on a TA cruise and I wasn't much in touch with my mail. I don't know if your question is still relevant or is it too late?

Anyway, we didnt cut short our tour in Cartagena - ever. But we did it once - actually quite recently - in Athens. For us it wasn't a problem at all. It was on Celebrity and I asked them ahead of time (got a permission) - and then arranged everything with guest relations without any snags. We just walked of the ship with our luggage as arranged and caught a taxi.

I don\t know what line you'll be cruising (or are on already?). I am sure that the Guest Relations will help/

Sorry again for the delay and hope that it will work up well for you!

MirIAM