Question re: Packing for a January Western Med. Cruise

ExpatBride

I'm leaving in less than 2 weeks for a Western Mediterranean cruise out of Barcelona. Of course, I've looked up average temps, but I'm hoping someone who has cruised around this time of year can tell me what sort of clothing I should bring.

Should I pack sweaters and tights, or dresses and sandals?

I've only been on two other cruises, both in Northern Europe early in the season, so I have no frame of reference for how being on the water affects the temperature. Both have been frigid in and out of port.

Please help a clueless girl out :confused:

I have not cruised in January, but I lived in that area for a few years. It will be cool and, very possibly, rainy. Sweaters and light jackets will be more useful than sundresses. Do pack a couple of lighter outfits and a pair of sandals just in case you get very lucky.

Then again, you are coming from Denmark. We always saw some "Nordic" tourists swimming in the beach in Nice in January when everyone else was bundled up.

Then again, you are coming from Denmark. We always saw some "Nordic" tourists swimming in the beach in Nice in January when everyone else was bundled up.

Yeah, but I'm American and even in the height of Danish summer I'm freezing :p

I'll pack some sweaters, thanks!

Edited by ExpatBride

To put it in perspective, Rome is at about the same latitude as NYC, but the Med makes it milder. The weather will be similar to Wilmington NC or Virginia Beach in January. All bets are off this year as the temps have been in the 70s, but the 40-50s are more "normal."

Edited by marazul

Our first Med cruise was in late January/early Feb, RT out of Barcelona. My recommendation is layers, and to have clothes for cold and wet as well as for a potentially warm day or so on board. But you'll likely need warm (or warmer) clothes for walking around in the ports. As others have said above, check the forecasts shortly before you leave.

Have a great cruise! We enjoyed the Med in winter --- fewer tourists! :)

Having lived in the Med and travelled extensively, it is not going to be hot. As others have said, it has been very mild this winter, but that can quickly change. My friend called from Seville today and said it had been raining all day.

You certainly won't need summer clothes. I would bring layers, woollen jumpers, scarves and a warmish waterproof coat. Coat I would bring with a hood as much easier than carrying an umbrella when sightseeing.

I was in Barcelona for a few days last January and it was quite cold. You will also find hotels, bars and restaurants put the heating on too high ( if they have it).

You will also find hotels, bars and restaurants put the heating on too high ( if they have it).

Gosh I hate how they do that!!

I was about to pass out in the Louvre in December (a couple of years ago), the heat was on so high. And this was after we'd checked our coats. Even a midweight sweater was too much.

I haven't cruised in the winter season but I've frequently been in various places on the Med at that time of year. I'd definitely plan on cooler weather but do bring a couple of short-sleeved tee shirts or similar in case you hit a warm spot. I recall being in both Lisbon and Turkey where I had planned on cool, windy weather and it was unexpectedly hot. Both times I rushed to a department store to get a couple of tee shirts or light blouses. I have learned my lesson and include those in my packing now. :D

(Interestingly it was a Marks & Spencer I went to in Turkey. I knew I could find what I wanted there.....)

Cruisemom42

Because it has been so warm all over Europe this winter all the shops, museums etc are too hot. I had a hospital appointment two weeks ago and thought I would pass out it was so hot in the consulting room.

In London we have outdoor ice rinks in the winter, but the ice has been turning to slush. It has been around 16c in London during the day.

I was at the coast a few days ago and saw daffodils growing, which are not normally in season until March. At least we are saving money on our heating bills.

Cruisemom42

Because it has been so warm all over Europe this winter all the shops, museums etc are too hot. I had a hospital appointment two weeks ago and thought I would pass out it was so hot in the consulting room.

In London we have outdoor ice rinks in the winter, but the ice has been turning to slush. It has been around 16c in London during the day.

I was at the coast a few days ago and saw daffodils growing, which are not normally in season until March. At least we are saving money on our heating bills.

I hope this mild streak continues! We will pack for cooler weather with a few options for milder and hope we use more of the milder weather clothing :-)

Cruisemom42

It has been mild in my neck of the woods (southeast USA) also. But I have a feeling that sooner or later we will pay the piper....!