A Definitive guide to the Deluxe Owners Suites aboard the Epic

General

We stayed in 16002 for the trans Atlantic and were given a tour of each of the other DOS as they were completed.

There are eight DOS aboard the Epic which are grouped in pairs on the port and starboard sides of the ship and each pair has a slightly different internal and external layouts, the pairings are front facing overlooking the bow 16002 and 16005, 17004 and 17007; rear facing overlooking the pool deck 17030 and 17033, 17032 and 17035.

Each of the suites are beautifully appointed with muted colours, each lounge area has a sofa, dining table with four chairs, easy chairs, a bar setup with coffee machine, additional storage area of drawers and cupboards. A large television and DVD player, with a Bose Wave music system, and mood lighting switches, together with a desk and chair.

Each bathroom has a corner tub that overlooks the outside, his and hers sinks, very large walk in showers, masses of hanging, drawer and cupboard space and separate toilet. Each suite also has a second guest toilet and washbasin.

Each bedroom has a large very comfortable large bed, an easy chair, second large television and mood lighting together with even more additional shelve storage.

Some Specifics about the layouts

16002 and 16005 have floor to ceiling windows that overlook the bow from the lounge, solarium balcony and bedroom, the walk in shower has a massive window to the side (16002 has the window cleaning system parked outside the shower window). The enclosed balcony can be accessed through sliding doors from the lounge, bedroom and bathroom, and when sitting in the tub you look through the balcony to the front of the ship. The enclosed balcony has three windows that slide open and has two loungers. All the windows have drapes and or pull down blinds for privacy although other that seagulls no one can see you. Below these suites is the Garden Cafe with no noise or food smells, and above is the DOS on deck 17, again with no noise. Note this is not what the NCL web site and literature says about these balconies i.e. they are not open, I have told them several times that they should amend their description.

17004 and 17007 also overlook the bow but only from the bedroom and the bathroom tub, the lounge is squarer than 16002/05 because they have an open large side balcony accessed from the lounge and bathroom. We have booked 17004 for our next cruise because of the open side balcony which is much larger than the side balconies of the Courtyard villas. Below is the DOS on 16 and above is the private sundeck for the Courtyard, again no noise.

17032 and 17035 are the two middle DOS on 17 which have a very large lounge area, super walk in dressing area and bathroom with a large open balcony, there is to the side of the balconies the shafts from the deck that actually do not affect your view outwards.

17030 and 17033 are the two outer DOS which have a fantastic wrap around open balcony to the pool deck and side of the ship, again with the same superbly appointed lounge and bathroom.

My observations about these suites are that there will undoubtedly be noise from the pool deck and they have the Posh Club above which may generate some noise. The other significant issue about these suites is that people walking on the deck above and alongside the pool deck look virtually straight into the suites, and unlike the DOS on the Jade, Gem and Pearl they do not have smoked glass on the balconies. I have suggested to NCL that they should put dark film on these balconies.

Summary

All of these suites are terrific, if you want amazing views of the ocean as you sail and are happy with a solarium then 16002/05 are for you. If you want to wake up to the ocean but want an open balcony as well then it’s 17004/07. If you want to be involved in the ships party life and see and be seen by the rest of the ship on a covered balcony then it is the four rear facing on 17.

All the DOS have adjacent Courtyard villas and/or Penthouses, the Penthouses are the same as the Spa Suites without the corner tub in the bedroom, but with the same oval shaped beds.

The Courtyard complex on the Epic is to die for, the Epic Lounge and Club in my view are better than the finest on the so called five star lines, the open Courtyard is sublime, with the small pool, two hot tubs, steam rooms, sauna, gym and treatment rooms you don’t need to visit the spa unless you want the hydro pool. The upper private front facing sundeck and access to Posh provides an immense amount of space for all the guests; access is card key controlled and heaven is just behind the black and gold doors.

Finally there is nowhere better to wake up than on an NCL ship , and on an NCL ship there is nowhere better to wake up that the Epic Courtyard, and we were in a Garden Villa on the Gem not long ago which was as always memorable.

Thank you for providing great details and taking the time to clarify this.

We are actually booked in 16005 and was really hoping for open air balcony. Nevertheless, I am still looking forward to my trip. Its just not getting here fast enough :D

Thank you for all the info. I have booked 16002 for next year.

Just one question... When you were out to sea were you able to open the balcony windows with all the sliding doors closed... Too windy (for smoke break)?

Do you have any pictures of 16002?

Thank you again.

Chris

Edited by cmjars

General

We stayed in 16002 for the trans Atlantic and were given a tour of each of the other DOS as they were completed.

There are eight DOS aboard the Epic which are grouped in pairs on the port and starboard sides of the ship and each pair has a slightly different internal and external layouts, the pairings are front facing overlooking the bow 16002 and 16005, 17004 and 17007; rear facing overlooking the pool deck 17030 and 17033, 17032 and 17035.

Each of the suites are beautifully appointed with muted colours, each lounge area has a sofa, dining table with four chairs, easy chairs, a bar setup with coffee machine, additional storage area of drawers and cupboards. A large television and DVD player, with a Bose Wave music system, and mood lighting switches, together with a desk and chair.

Each bathroom has a corner tub that overlooks the outside, his and hers sinks, very large walk in showers, masses of hanging, drawer and cupboard space and separate toilet. Each suite also has a second guest toilet and washbasin.

Each bedroom has a large very comfortable large bed, an easy chair, second large television and mood lighting together with even more additional shelve storage.

16002 and 16005 have floor to ceiling windows that overlook the bow from the lounge, solarium balcony and bedroom, the walk in shower has a massive window to the side (16002 has the window cleaning system parked outside the shower window). The enclosed balcony can be accessed through sliding doors from the lounge, bedroom and bathroom, and when sitting in the tub you look through the balcony to the front of the ship. The enclosed balcony has three windows that slide open and has two loungers. All the windows have drapes and or pull down blinds for privacy although other that seagulls no one can see you. Below these suites is the Garden Cafe with no noise or food smells, and above is the DOS on deck 17, again with no noise. Note this is not what the NCL web site and literature says about these balconies i.e. they are not open, I have told them several times that they should amend their description.

17004 and 17007 also overlook the bow but only from the bedroom and the bathroom tub, the lounge is squarer than 16002/05 because they have an open large side balcony accessed from the lounge and bathroom. We have booked 17004 for our next cruise because of the open side balcony which is much larger than the side balconies of the Courtyard villas. Below is the DOS on 16 and above is the private sundeck for the Courtyard, again no noise.

17032 and 17035 are the two middle DOS on 17 which have a very large lounge area, super walk in dressing area and bathroom with a large open balcony, there is to the side of the balconies the shafts from the deck that actually do not affect your view outwards.

17030 and 17033 are the two outer DOS which have a fantastic wrap around open balcony to the pool deck and side of the ship, again with the same superbly appointed lounge and bathroom.

My observations about these suites are that there will undoubtedly be noise from the pool deck and they have the Posh Club above which may generate some noise. The other significant issue about these suites is that people walking on the deck above and alongside the pool deck look virtually straight into the suites, and unlike the DOS on the Jade, Gem and Pearl they do not have smoked glass on the balconies. I have suggested to NCL that they should put dark film on these balconies.

Summary

All of these suites are terrific, if you want amazing views of the ocean as you sail and are happy with a solarium then 16002/05 are for you. If you want to wake up to the ocean but want an open balcony as well then it’s 17004/07. If you want to be involved in the ships party life and see and be seen by the rest of the ship on a covered balcony then it is the four rear facing on 17.

All the DOS have adjacent Courtyard villas and/or Penthouses, the Penthouses are the same as the Spa Suites without the corner tub in the bedroom, but with the same oval shaped beds.

The Courtyard complex on the Epic is to die for, the Epic Lounge and Club in my view are better than the finest on the so called five star lines, the open Courtyard is sublime, with the small pool, two hot tubs, steam rooms, sauna, gym and treatment rooms you don’t need to visit the spa unless you want the hydro pool. The upper private front facing sundeck and access to Posh provides an immense amount of space for all the guests; access is card key controlled and heaven is just behind the black and gold doors.

Finally there is nowhere better to wake up than on an NCL ship , and on an NCL ship there is nowhere better to wake up that the Epic Courtyard, and we were in a Garden Villa on the Gem not long ago which was as always memorable.

COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF, LOL!! Maybe you could just email this to all the NCL reservation people!!! I booked 17004 for the exact same reason you booked yours. Though I would have loved the big wrap balcony, I dont want to be looking at the pool/noise and I too was concerned about the nightclub overhead. And though they are aft for our deck, they are not aft for the ship.

Looking forward to more reviews from people who enjoyed these. Again, that was a very clear concise explanation. BRAVO!!!

Really appreciate you taking the time to research and post such a thorough review of each of the suites. We have had 17030 booked for 4 of us and sounds perfect !!! One thing our other couple REALLY wanted was a balcony and I guess we lucked out when we looked at the deck plans, closed our eyes and picked!

Sounds like you really enjoyed the ship and we will find out in October!

Nancy:cool:

Thank you for all the info. I have booked 16002 for next year.

Just one question... When you were out to sea were you able to open the balcony windows with all the sliding doors closed... Too windy (for smoke break)?

Do you have any pictures of 16002?

Thank you again.

Chris

Hi Chris

I used the windows for the same reason :-) (Please note all the rabid anti smokers I do not want any comments about this) Yes you do need to close the sliding doors to the balcony and it works well. I have pics but it's a pain to resize them to upload on CC so if you want any I'm happy to email.

Hi Chris

I used the windows for the same reason :-) (Please note all the rabid anti smokers I do not want any comments about this) Yes you do need to close the sliding doors to the balcony and it works well. I have pics but it's a pain to resize them to upload on CC so if you want any I'm happy to email.

Thank you for the clarification :).

Chris

Thanks,

I did have a look round them but forgot the details, should have taken more photos.

With one set the proportions of the bathroom in relation to the rest of the suite were not quite right and the guest toilet in one set takes up too much space also has the sink behind the door.

All great so not a big deal but if there is a choice when booking why not try to get th ebts fit.

I also thought access to the pool side suites on 17 seemed long and winding.

The cabins on 16 port side seem to have best overall access to the rest of the facilities(if they fix the courtyard door in wind)

General

The upper private front facing sundeck and access to Posh provides an immense amount of space for all the guests; access is card key controlled and heaven is just behind the black and gold doors.

Awesome descriptions, definitely cleared up a lot of confusion on these boards.

Did you happen to notice if there is an elevator for the sundeck and Posh? My wife cannot walk stairs.

Awesome descriptions, definitely cleared up a lot of confusion on these boards.

Did you happen to notice if there is an elevator for the sundeck and Posh? My wife cannot walk stairs.

There is an elevator that will get her to POSH. The sundeck does not have an elevator directy to the area. She may be able to get there using the pool deck elevator that stops at the Epic Lounge but she would need to access the area through the public sundeck and a card reader door at the end of that area.

Hi Black Pearl Sailor,

What a nice gesture to review the DOS so carefully for future cruisers.

It was great seeing you two entering the Epic Club on the webcast. You had such huge grins on your faces.:D

DH Bob and I fondly remember our dinner with you and a few others on the Gem a couple of years ago. Hope to see you and your DW again on NCL!

We're finally going on Epic next month. Can't wait!!

What's up next for you two? Sounds like you've been enjoying your cruising life a lot!:)

Any chance you'll be putting up a review of the food, entertainment, etc.? Always look forward to hearing your comments. Any favorites in terms of food or fun?

There is an elevator that will get her to POSH. The sundeck does not have an elevator directy to the area. She may be able to get there using the pool deck elevator that stops at the Epic Lounge but she would need to access the area through the public sundeck and a card reader door at the end of that area.

Thank you very much for the info.

Excellent post. Glad NCL has added some space for those who wish to go where she sails but do not wish to mix with the regular people. These suites are right up there with the ultra exclusive ones on the Titanic. No room for the riff raff here.

Thanks so much for clarifying about these rooms. I spent an hour questioning my PCC about the DOS's this afternoon, and asked her to find me the answers tonight, as she tours the ship. I copied your post and emailed it to her. Hope you don't mind.

Is the solarium air conditioned? For 17032 and 17035, is the elevator a big detriment to the view?

Thanks, Al

Thanks so much for clarifying about these rooms. I spent an hour questioning my PCC about the DOS's this afternoon, and asked her to find me the answers tonight, as she tours the ship. I copied your post and emailed it to her. Hope you don't mind.

Is the solarium air conditioned? For 17032 and 17035, is the elevator a big detriment to the view?

Thanks, Al

Al the Elevator is not a big detriment in 17035 but the view is not anything special. Here are my pictures.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/578070707FUpDgN

2239023590059187889S500x500Q85.jpg

Edited by time2cruise1

Thank you OP for a wonderfully detailed description. So many of us here have been waiting for so long for confirmation of what these suites actually look like.

The more and more I see of the villas area and the more I hear from those who have experienced it, the more excited I get for our cruise in January!

Thanks, Al

Yes the solarium is air conditioned, and your other question has been answered which I agree with too.

Hi Black Pearl Sailor' date='

What a nice gesture to review the DOS so carefully for future cruisers.

It was great seeing you two entering the Epic Club on the webcast. You had such huge grins on your faces.:D

DH Bob and I fondly remember our dinner with you and a few others on the Gem a couple of years ago. Hope to see you and your DW again on NCL!

We're finally going on Epic next month. Can't wait!!

What's up next for you two? Sounds like you've been enjoying your cruising life a lot!:)

Any chance you'll be putting up a review of the food, entertainment, etc.? Always look forward to hearing your comments. Any favorites in terms of food or fun?[/quote']

Hi Barb

Nice to hear from you, sorry you weren't aboard but we are sure you will love EPIC next month. I put a review up before we arrived in New York which covers some of the dining and entertainment so not wishing to repeat but don't miss the Tent, if Blue Man is your thing this is a great show, in fact we loved all the entertainment.

For dining all the usuals with a twist but and it's a big but the new dining facility for the Courtyard (Epic Club) is way superior to the way we used to go to Cagneys, the dinner menu is just super.

General

Summary

Was there a particular reason you picked 17004 over 17007?

I have 17007 but both are available. I'm doing West. Carib.

Thanks

Was there a particular reason you picked 17004 over 17007?

I have 17007 but both are available. I'm doing West. Carib.

Thanks

For the ports we are visiting next May the port side of the ship is my preference because of the outlooks in the ports, it would be the same if we were sailing trans Atlantic to the USA from Europe, but we would be on the starboard side if we were coming to Europe because of the sun.

For the West Carib you are going to have beautiful evening sun on your balcony after you leave Miami and morning sun after you leave Roatan. Every morning you will wake up to the sea and nothing else, lucky you. :)

For the ports we are visiting next May the port side of the ship is my preference because of the outlooks in the ports, it would be the same if we were sailing trans Atlantic to the USA from Europe, but we would be on the starboard side if we were coming to Europe because of the sun.

For the West Carib you are going to have beautiful evening sun on your balcony after you leave Miami and morning sun after you leave Roatan. Every morning you will wake up to the sea and nothing else, lucky you. :)

thanks...

Edited by benzygirl