Questions about the Gem- Rooms, etc

nycemschic

Hi folks, we've cruised 8 times before but with Disney and Carnival. We found a cruise from NY to the Bahamas that we can all get off of work for! So excited to think about expanding our cruising experiences!

I have two specific questions that I cannot locate the answers to (on any website)- the inside rooms state they can accommodate 2-4 people, but the exact wording is "With room for up to four guests, you'll have two lower beds that convert into a queen-size bed and additional bedding to accommodate up to two more guests."

Does additional bedding mean extra blankets and pillows? Or is there a Murphy/pull down bed? Looking at the pictures doesn't help. I am travelling with a 17 year old and my husband. We are not all fitting on queen bed ;p

The second question is- what activities are there on the ship for teens? I didn't see a movie theater, zip lining, climbing course, volleyball... I only saw about the children's clubs and spa and pools. Are we just spoiled from the other ships?

Thank you very much for any help!

Four people in inside means one pulldown and one trundle bed - so three beds on the floor side-by-side.

In addition of what you saw already, on Gem there is a climbing wall and a basketball court (and for-fee bowling lanes), that's about it.

I'd say that you are spoiled from the newer ships - Gem is already 10 years old after all, back then those features were top notch.

I had the same concern and did some digging online. Found a blogger who posted a picture of the set up for 4. Basically theyhave a trundle bed and wedge it between the two twins making 1 extra large bed. Then there is a bunk that pulls down on one side for the 4th person. We had 2 adults and 2 kids and were booked in an interior room. After seeing that we upgraded so that our kids would have a separate bed from us. (pull out couch). We are booked on the Gem and had to upgrade to balcony or above to get this sleeping option. But we figured we needed to be comfortable so it was worth the cost to not be squished!

My advice would be to go for an Oceanview, rather than inside. That will give 161 square feet, rather than 143 and will make a difference with 3 in cabin. This is what it would look like during daytime.

JADE.Oceanview_881x400_1.jpg

With regard to activities for a 17 year old, there really is nothing of note so would advise you think that through carefully. If your daughter does not need constant entertainment or things to do, and is reasonably contented going with the flow then you should be fine!