Noise In Standard Viking Cabins

Ski Mamma

We are preparing to leave on our second river cruise next week, and we are looking for some honest information on exactly how much engine noise to expect in an aquarium level/standard Viking Longship cabin. On our last cruise, we were on one of the older ships, and we were stuck in port the entire time due to exceptionally high water and flooding. We had a wonderful time nonetheless, but we missed the experience of actually moving on a river under power. Do I need to pack earplugs to ensure a good night's sleep or is the noise a minor inconvenience at worst?

We selected the lower level cabins simply because we saw no need to spend extra for a space that we plan to stay in only for bathing, dressing and sleeping. We love the public spaces in and on any accommodation, and that is where we will be most of our time on board. Just want to make sure that we will sleep well enough to have plenty of energy for socializing and seeing the sights!

Thanks in advance to all of you who have sailed in E or F cabins for your honest answers.

• Like 1

For your reply to my request for honest information. It is helpful to know about the lock situation. Is the noise from the workings of the lock or from slight bumping of the boat or something else?

I hope to hear from others as well. Our cabin is #118 which is considerably back from #100, plus we would love to hear some other opinions.

For your reply to my request for honest information. It is helpful to know about the lock situation. Is the noise from the workings of the lock or from slight bumping of the boat or something else?

I hope to hear from others as well. Our cabin is #118 which is considerably back from #100, plus we would love to hear some other opinions.

We have stayed in the lower level several times on different boats. Never a problem with the noise. The boat is only a few inches from the sides of the lock walls and will bump and scrape when entering. If and when this happens in the middle of the night it can awaken one. I remember the first time this happened to me. I woke up, looked outside and only saw the wall. Didn't know where I was or what was going on. After that it was "oh, we're in another lock" :D.

There is an engine at the front of the ship and another at the back of the shop. They use the back engine during the day when most people are at the front of the ship , the restaurant and lounge, and they use the front engine at night when people go to sleep because cabins are located for the mid pint going to the back.

Lock noise is part and parcel of river cruising. We've heard lock noise on Uniworld ships as well. Did not keep us from getting a good nights sleep.

Wasn't a problem for us - probably won't be for you either.

I really appreciate these replies to my question about cabin noise in the standard/aquarium level cabins. I feel like I now know what to expect. However, I will continue to happily receive any other feedback on the "Romantic Danube" Budapest to Nuremberg direction cruise that anyone would like to offer. This time next week we will be on board the Idun and heading toward Vienna :)

Have a lovely Monday everyone!

• Like 1

Sailed on the Viking Bragi and Alsvin during Sept. 13 - 27, 2014. We were in a standard cabin mid-ship on deck one, so the river water level was a few inches below the bottom of our porthole window. We regularly heard the noise from the propellers of passing ships. We heard and felt the long ship bumping into the sides of locks.

Just off the Viking Tor and a week on the Rhine. We had a 100-level room and the noise was minimal. The AC/circulation blew most of the time at a hum/grey noise level. The Swiss end of the cruise was pretty quiet, but as we went downstream we got more ship traffic. We could hear them pass, I would equate it to a car on the street outside your house, some of the bigger/closer ships were more like trucks. The bigger ships and the rougher water near the Amsterdam end of the cruise caused water to slap the sides of the ship, but it was the kind of noise you expect on a ship. There was some engine noise from the Tor that we could not hear on upper levels, but it did not disturb me.

We bumped a couple of times in locks, only once did I have to steady myself from it, the whole ship felt it.

Now, the plumbing on the other hand... the shower moans like pipes in an old hotel. The toilet makes a loud, brief sucking sound.

Overall, I would rate the noise level we experienced as good/minimal. I had no trouble sleeping and was not awoken by any of it. I actually kind of missed the water noise and the hum of the ships once we moved to the hotel in Amsterdam.

As we speak, on the Viking Spirit. Room in 100 section as low as you can go. Minimal noise, some outside water sounds as a ship passes, motor noise minimal. Noise not a factor. Heading to Rouen.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

All of your responses have been so helpful, and we don't foresee any real issues with noise now. We live in a residential area within walking distance of the main downtown area of a very large city. It actually will probably be quieter on the boat at night than it is in our neighborhood!

Happy travels to those of you on a river now!

We leave in two days and are full of excited anticipation :)

Ski Mamma,

Thanks so much for asking this question. We too, are booked in aquarium class , cabin # 121 on the Viking Kvasir and I recently read a very discouraging review about the misery and noise on that deck. Yikes :eek:,

I am planning to spend most time up on the sun deck and enjoying the fabulous sights of the river, and did not think this issue would be a factor.

However, I have Bose noise cancelling earbuds that I use for all flights that might come in handy for sleeping and who knows, a dose of Benadryl could always work as well! ;)

I will not be deterred in the quest for a fabulous trip down the Rhine! :)

As we speak, on the Viking Spirit. Room in 100 section as low as you can go. Minimal noise, some outside water sounds as a ship passes, motor noise minimal. Noise not a factor. Heading to Rouen.

Great to hear! We are booked into 104 on Viking Idi next August. I have read more favourable reviews than not on the Aquarium class sound levels. If you have any further update about your room 100 location and experience, please share.:)

Edited by banditoo

i just got back last week from a trip that was split between the Idi and the Kvasir. The service on the Idi was beyond amazing. The waitstaff and house keepers went way beyond the call of duty to make the cruise pleasant. If you have SZUZANA as your room attendant, she will know the minute you are out of your stateroom and will tidy up, change towels, add more bottled water. Even when we went to breakfast at 6:00am, she had the room done up for daytime when we got back from breakfast. She was just so wonderful. Also, look for Edward, Normandy and Galina in the Restaurant, you will be taken care of like royalty. They immediately pick up on your likes, dislikes and habits and you get what you want even before you can articulate that you want it. We got 7 star service on the Idi.

Ticonderoga

As I have said noise not a factor. The room 110 in Viking Spirit (not a longship) was small, 2 single beds positioned in the long length of the room. A shelf over one of the beds, a small table/shelf between at the head of the beds. A small desk at the foot of one bed, a closet with 3 drawers and a safe plus an area to hang clothes. A medium suitcase only under the bed. Large case in the hall under the stairs. Electrical... at the desk both a 110 and 220 volt outlet, in the bathroom a dual switched 120 /240 plug.

Our only complaint.... The mattresses were thin and uncomfortable, and I seldom complain about anything.

Love his response on this thread! It is right on the money. However, I am happy to report that, even for those who cannot resist all of the wine, sparking wine, schnapps and other tasty beverages offered in the Explorer Lounge, Restaurant and on the Aquavit Terrace (not us :)), the noise on the standard level of our cruise was minimal.

We just returned home from our "Romantic Danube" cruise last evening, and I am delighted to say that most of the time we heard absolutely NOTHING in our stateroom number 118. Most of the time we were not even aware we were moving. That said, there were times when moving through locks during the night slight bumps against the lock walls or another ship would briefly wake us. At those times we would hear some back thrusting of the engines or the bubbling or rushing water sounds of water filling the lock, but after the first two nights, even this did not bother us or really wake us any longer.

Our cruise was beautiful, busy, relaxing, totally fun, a fantastic experience and just an overall great time! There was not one system that did not work perfectly nor one staff member who was anything less than amazing. :D

Cannot wait for our next Viking cruise!

• Like 1