Best Camera Bag

Italy52

Looking for some suggestions on a good camera bag that can take the following:

2 camera bodies (Sony and Nikon)

2 smaller lenses

2 larger lenses (up to 300)

Ideally, we would like the bag to be a backpack type and have straps to support the weight. Presently, we have a Lowepro which was fine when DH was carrying only one camera but now that we have two cameras, the load distribution is a bit much. Any suggestions? We live in an area where there are no camera stores around for many miles so that is why I am seeing your help as a starting point.

Many thanks.

Hi Karen. I love this Lowepro that I got from Amazon before we went to Patagonia. I never had to lay it down to change cameras or lenses and you can't open the main compartment from the outside. Check out the video clip on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Flipside-400-AW-Black/dp/B001APJZ50/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407442946&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=lowepro+camera+bag+flipside+350

I have a Canon full frame with a 70-300 and a Canon Sl 1 ( with a 24-105 attached ). The body is partly hidden in the center section , under the flap. Also a video camera , 2 speed lites, a pocket camera and a wide angle lens. There's also room for my 3 chargers in the main compartment.

DSC00058-001_zps93c517dd.jpg

And here's the tripod holder

DSC00055_zpsd52568d2.jpg

Scuba, thanks for the recommendation and link. How is the load distribution? With all the gear, does the bag feel heavy? DH is 68 yrs young and still insists on carrying everything -- what a gentleman.

No problem , I'm 64 and have had some lower back problems. The pack is very light when unloaded. I packed it fully loaded in a carry on when we went. We then loaded the empty carry on with all the "treasures" that we collected when on vacation and I wore the backpack and used it as my personal item when returning.

I've been toting a ThinkTank Airport Ultralight backpack for years and it's been great. It carries a DSLR, 100-400mm, 24-105mm, 8-15mm, speedlite, chargers, GoPro and some GoPro accouterments. I can tuck stuff into the exterior pouch for quick access and strap my tripod to the side.

That being said, I've been eyeing the Manfrotto Pro 50 lately. I like the quick-access top and semi-rigid shell.

Best is always subjective because what is best for someone might not be best for another person.

After owning several camera bags and then wanting to get a new one for an extended voyage we took earlier this year and analyzing and analyzing and analyzing, I went with this bag by Think Tank. I am able to fit two camera bodies, several lenses, along with a couple of small point and shoot cameras and some other accessories in it. It comes with several dividers that can be removed or added.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044EFIPA/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am very pleased with my decision.

Keith

For the sake of mention, I've been slowly refining my "bags" into essentially two categories:

"bags" I shoot "out of", and

bags I use to transport my gear

I've gotten tired of backpacks to shoot out of, as it's the endless "take the bag off, lay it down, grab/swap what you need, pick it up, put it back on" cycle. I don't mind putting it down and shooting out of it if I'm stationary, but a cruise is so far from that (especially Alaska). So, my LowePro Photo Trekker has become my transport bag (and stationary shoot-from bag). For mobile work, I've settled on the BlackRapid "Double" strap and the LowePro LensExchange 200AW case. For times when I'm really loaded for bear, I use a LowePro Vest and Technical Belt to hold the Double strap, the lens case (or a couple), and a Utility Case for batteries, memory card wallet, etc. The vest is overkill, in that it's got loops for cases all over it, but it does a fantastic job of anchoring the Double strap, keeping the weight where I want it, and making it easy to get out of it all.

Just my $0.02. I'll try to remember to post some pictures as soon as we finish editing them.

I agree on the 'carry' and 'travel' bag designations...I take it a step farther, as I have one main 'travel' backpack for a majority of my gear, and then I actually have 5 bag of varying size for the walkaround duty, depending on just how much I intend to walk around with.

My main travel backpack is the excellent Kata R102, bought primarily because it could handle my 'big' lenses attached to the camera body: a 300mm F4 and a 200-500mm...plus a goodly amount of other gear:

original.jpg

No problem handling 2 bodies and up to 6-7 lenses, including big lenses. Good exterior attachment points throughout, very heavily padded for abuse and bumps, and excellent weight distribution designed for long-haul, with the bulk of the weight down low and a very slim low profile at top to keep it from being top-heavy or pulling backwards when going uphill. When packed for maximum travel, I can load 2 camera bodies and 8 lenses, with flash gear, cleaning gear, wires, cables, chargers, filters, batteries, and tripod.

My other bags include a Tenba shoulder bag that can handle 2 camera bodies and 3-5 lenses, a Tamrac bag that can handle DSLR with installed lens plus 1 more, a Tamrac Zuma bag designed for mirrorless cam + 3 lenses, a Lowepro sling that can handle DSLR or mirrorless with one lens attached and up to 2 additional lenses (or DSLR with one lens, mirrorless with 1 lens, and one more lens), and a Think tank Lens Changer 2 holster bag that can handle my two longest birding lenses side-by-side. The bags are fairly 'stackable' too when I travel, so in my luggage I manage to squeeze the Tenba shoulder bag in, with the Tamrac Zuma and medium bag and Lens Changer stuffed inside of it...while the gear rides as a carry on with me in the Kata backpack.

For me, there's simply no one bag that is perfect...so 6 bags together are a perfect solution!

Looking for some suggestions on a good camera bag that can take the following:

2 camera bodies (Sony and Nikon)

2 smaller lenses

2 larger lenses (up to 300)

. . . Any suggestions?

Karen: I too am in the market for a new camera bag to carry two camera bodies and lenses.

For me, nearly all of my upcoming trips will include air travel. So I have to decide whether the camera bag will be my carry-on bag or personal item.

Lately, United and American have been very strict with the size of cabin bags. United now has a personal item size limit: 10" x 9" x 17" (L x W x H), and has added bag sizers for personal items at airport lobbies. United

So as I look for a new camera bag, I am mindful of whether the airlines will characterize it as a carry-on or personal item.

YMMV

Woody

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions, I appreciate you taking the time to post.

I am putting together a list of all your recommendations and we are evaluating each and every one of them. One thing we definitely have to take into consideration is the camera bag must be able to fit under the seat of a commuter plane (small Horizon air).

Thankfully, our cruise doesn't leave until next June so we have a little time to carefully review your suggestions.

Again, thanks for your kindness.

My brother and I bought sling bags from Lowepro before our trip to Utah and hiked all over the place with it. The nice thing is you can slide the bag from back to front to access your cameras without having to take it off.

http://store.lowepro.com/sling-bags/slingshot-302-aw

The only thing to watch with this bag . .. the clip that connects the two parts of the shoulder strap is located right about where you want to grab if you're spinning the bag around your torso, so you have to watch not to hit that clip and essentially disconnect the shoulder strap.

That said, we loved this bag.

My brother and I bought sling bags from Lowepro before our trip to Utah and hiked all over the place with it. The nice thing is you can slide the bag from back to front to access your cameras without having to take it off.

http://store.lowepro.com/sling-bags/slingshot-302-aw

The only thing to watch with this bag . .. the clip that connects the two parts of the shoulder strap is located right about where you want to grab if you're spinning the bag around your torso, so you have to watch not to hit that clip and essentially disconnect the shoulder strap.

That said, we loved this bag.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the bag wouldn't work for DH as he is looking for a backpack type and the bag must also be able to hold two dslr cameras, two large lenses as well as two smaller lenses.

Have you looked at the Gura Gear Bataflae bags? They are pricey but really cavernous. The bags essentially have two sides which hold a lot of gear. For me I have a Nikon D4s attached to a Tamron 150-600 with hood on (same size as a 300mm 2.8 with hood on) on one side. The other I keep a 35mm, 85mm, 24-70mm, flash unit and a D4s with 70-200 2.8 attached. There is also a stowable harness to make it into a briefcase, tripod strap on the side and extra rain cover that is easily stored inside. Plus the dimensions of the bag are below the FAA security guideline of 45 total inches.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/895185-REG/Gura_Gear_gg24_1_Bataflae_32L_Backpack_Black.html

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the bag wouldn't work for DH as he is looking for a backpack type and the bag must also be able to hold two dslr cameras, two large lenses as well as two smaller lenses.

The sling bag essentially wears like a backpack, but you're right, the capacity you're looking for could be an issue. I had two camera bodies (Canon), one moderately long lens, an ultra wide angle and a couple small lenses in mine. If he has two really long lenses, the sling bag wouldn't handle that with two camera bodies, particularly if the bodies are bigger Nikons rather than the smaller Canons.

• 1 month later...

Many thanks again to all who provided input into my quest for a camera bag for DH. After lots of research, DH has decided that the Tenba Shootout Backpack meets all his requirements for our camera equipment and his comfort when carrying the gear.