Drive in from Lafayette and fog?

berryhillmom

We will be cruising July 6th and heading to NOLA from Oklahoma. We were thinking of staying in Lafayette on Saturday night and getting up early and heading to NOLA. I had this settled in my mind as our plan and then started worrying about the chance of having trouble getting to the Port because of fog. Does this happen often? Thanks for any info!

A second to HlHyat's response.

If your timing puts you approaching Baton Rouge during morning drive time, I suggest you give yourself an extra 30 minutes or so. Baton Rouge traffic can be a nightmare. If you are out of the morning traffic time, it should be an easy two and a half hour drive.

Watch the speed limits. State Troopers love I-10 from Lafayette to BR, as well as the BR to NO stretch. As you approach the town of Laplace, about 25 miles before NO, the St. John Parish Sherriff's Office is also very active in "greeting" drivers .

Edited by MermaidWatcher

The drive over from Lafayette is always easy. We do it all the time. The warnings about traffic enforcement are very, very valid!!! If it will be Sat or Sun morning Baton Rouge is not to bad, but weekdays it is terrible. We leave Lafayette pretty early and stop in Gonzales (where Cabela's is) for breakfast. Then it's about another 45-60 minutes to the port.

For anyone driving the work week, note that an easier drive from Lafayette to New Orleans is Hwy. 90 going through Morgan City. If there are no I-10 traffic issues, the Hwy. 90 route may be 15 minutes longer. But it is an easier and more relaxing drive because of less traffic--especially 18-wheelers. And the chances of hitting a major traffic jam because of an accident are substantially less.

However, if you are driving over early on a Sunday morning, you should not have any problems on I-10. However, the stretch of interstate between Lafayette and Baton Rouge is heavily patrolled--especially the elevated portion of the interstate over the Atachafalaya Basin where the speed limit is reduced to 60.

• 2 months later...

Should not be a problem. We always drive in from Missouri and depending on what we do the day before, end up staying in Hammond, LA or over on the coast of Mississippi. No fog that time of year and we have never had a problem with the traffic.