Turkey: Media Closings, etc., Future Cruise Impacts?

As we monitor activities in Turkey to gauge future impacts on cruising port stops there, here is a "development" just posted today. From the respected Reuters news wire, they have today this breaking-news headline: "Turkish authorities dismiss military personnel, shut media outlets" with these key story highlights: " Turkey has dismissed nearly 1,700 military personnel and closed more than 130 media outlets, amid a deepening crackdown that has stirred alarm among Ankara's NATO allies. The government said in its official gazette that three news agencies, 16 television channels, 45 newspapers, 15 magazines and 29 publishers have been ordered shut down. The United States said on Wednesday it understood Turkey's need to hold perpetrators of the attempted coup to account but said the detention of more journalists was part of a 'worrisome trend'. Earlier on Wednesday, Turkey ordered another 47 journalists detained as part of the crackdown."

Below are also links with similar details from CBS News and the Washington Post. This includes reporting that the rights group Amnesty International called this move by Turkey as a “brazen attack on press freedom.”

As a fan of Turkey, its history and its people, these development are all a concern. We will hope for the best, but this latest step will raise questions for the longer-range impacts on its connections to the West and Europe.

Full stories at:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/turkish-authorities-dismiss-military-personnel-shut-media-outlets-191554213.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/turkey-government-shutters-dozens-of-media-organizations/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/turkish-authorities-to-shut-down-dozens-of-media-outlets/2016/07/27/d1c8454c-542e-11e6-b652-315ae5d4d4dd_story.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 214,891 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Hi Terry,

I don't think this will make much difference to cruising in Turkey.

Because it's already been totally stuffed by terrorism & the attempted coup. :(

Cruise lines tend to be ultra-cautious, few still call at places like Kusadasi - and do any still use Istanbul???

But cruising is only a very small part of Turkey's tourism industry - land-based vacations are also way down, and the crack-downs will surely be their death-knell too.

I've complained frequently on these pages about some contributors' inability to put risks in perspective, but Turkey is now off even my radar for the foreseeable future. A great shame.

Erdogan still has very strong support from Turkey's majority, particularly in Istanbul & western Turkey, and it may take months or years for the implications of his policies to sink in.

All very reminiscent of Stalin's purges in the early 1940's.

Whatever happened to Ataturk's dream of a forward-looking secular government?????

JB :)

Hi Terry,

I don't think this will make much difference to cruising in Turkey.

Because it's already been totally stuffed by terrorism & the attempted coup. :(

Cruise lines tend to be ultra-cautious, few still call at places like Kusadasi - and do any still use Istanbul???

But cruising is only a very small part of Turkey's tourism industry - land-based vacations are also way down, and the crack-downs will surely be their death-knell too.

I've complained frequently on these pages about some contributors' inability to put risks in perspective, but Turkey is now off even my radar for the foreseeable future. A great shame.

Erdogan still has very strong support from Turkey's majority, particularly in Istanbul & western Turkey, and it may take months or years for the implications of his policies to sink in.

All very reminiscent of Stalin's purges in the early 1940's.

Whatever happened to Ataturk's dream of a forward-looking secular government?????

I think you speak for many of us here. I'm grateful that we were able to visit Istanbul and Ephesus six years ago when we did. I'm also grateful that Russia opened itself up to the west and that all of us can now see the beauty and history of that country (even though many have a tough time with Putin). I guess the world is always changing and many of us will travel to places like Cuba where we never dreamed we would be able to go.

John Bull

I agree with your sentiments. Many terrorist attacks don't stop me going anywhere. Off to France soon. Lived in London during the IRA bombings and in Spain when ETA were very active and never gave any of it a second thought. However, I feel that the unrest in Turkey may get out of hand and spread.

Husky61

I wouldn't think twice about going to any of those places in the US. Although I may have second thoughts if Trump becomes president.

However, the political climate in Turkey at the moment is volatile and these things have a habit of quickly getting out of control.

Husky61

I wouldn't think twice about going to any of those places in the US. Although I may have second thoughts if Trump becomes president.

However, the political climate in Turkey at the moment is volatile and these things have a habit of quickly getting out of control.

Agree. Just a few years ago I received an email touting a $600 r/t airfare to Istanbul. With little hesitation I booked it without really knowing what I'd do with it, but I knew Istanbul was a great city and was worth a return.

Also, during the Arab Spring we had booked a Holylands cruise. I went in knowing the Egypt ports could be cancelled, but, I really didn't have any qualms as to safety if we did manage to port. And, happily we did. But, the issues there and then seem so different from what Turkey is now experiencing.

My comfort level shifted after the Turkish New Year bombings in Istanbul, where all the locals seemed to know to avoid certain areas during that time, but a group of Israeli tourists died in the attack in those very areas. It seemed so preventable with adequate security.

Appreciate these various responses, details, background experiences, etc. And to your credit, things were done without getting too political or "pointed". Great sharing. From the Toronto Globe and Mail yesterday, they have this headline: "After a failed coup, what will become of Istanbul’s luxury hotels?" This includes this quote from this luxury hotel general manager in Istanbul: “Business is as usual,” explains Ralph Radtke, of the Kempinski Istanbul. “Luxury travellers are global explorers. They travel, and they continue to travel, following their travel enthusiasm.”

Here are some more story highlights: "Tourist arrivals have dropped significantly since fall, 2015, following a series of bombings across the country, in particular the October bombing near the Ankara train station that killed at least 100 people. In November, Turkish armed forces downed a Russian warplane; Russia responded by banning travel to Turkey and the country saw an instant 7-per-cent drop in arrivals (that’s now down 90 per cent). In January of this year, an ISIS suicide bomber detonated himself in Istanbul’s historic centre, killing 10 people, mostly German tourists. German tourists still account for a 17-per-cent share of visitors to Turkey, but German arrivals are down 30 per cent from 2015. People are avoiding Turkey. May, 2016 – the most recent month for which tourism statistics are available – saw 35 per cent fewer tourists arrive in the country than May, 2015. Visitors from the United States are down 22 per cent and from Canada 29 per cent. Australian visitors are down by nearly 60 per cent and Korean, Japanese and Chinese visitors have dropped by half."

There is a good amount of details and specifics in this story. It's worth a read, including about the difference between the active "global explorers" versus the more "casual" travelers. The author noted that "The Kempinski is fortified by its high palace walls and tight, year-round security – coup or no coup."

Full story at:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/travel/travel-news/after-a-failed-coup-what-will-become-of-istanbuls-luxury-hotels/article31148790/

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 151,142 views for this posting.

From the Toronto Globe and Mail yesterday, they have this headline: "After a failed coup, what will become of Istanbul’s luxury hotels?" This includes this quote from this luxury hotel general manager in Istanbul: “Business is as usual,” explains Ralph Radtke, of the Kempinski Istanbul. “Luxury travellers are global explorers. They travel, and they continue to travel, following their travel enthusiasm.”

Here are some more story highlights: "Tourist arrivals have dropped significantly since fall, 2015, following a series of bombings across the country, in particular the October bombing near the Ankara train station that killed at least 100 people. In November, Turkish armed forces downed a Russian warplane; Russia responded by banning travel to Turkey and the country saw an instant 7-per-cent drop in arrivals (that’s now down 90 per cent). In January of this year, an ISIS suicide bomber detonated himself in Istanbul’s historic centre, killing 10 people, mostly German tourists. German tourists still account for a 17-per-cent share of visitors to Turkey, but German arrivals are down 30 per cent from 2015. People are avoiding Turkey. May, 2016 – the most recent month for which tourism statistics are available – saw 35 per cent fewer tourists arrive in the country than May, 2015. Visitors from the United States are down 22 per cent and from Canada 29 per cent. Australian visitors are down by nearly 60 per cent and Korean, Japanese and Chinese visitors have dropped by half."

I have to say that much of what is expressed in the article seems more hopeful than truthful. The figures cited don't lie -- although not quite the dire 90% drop some have claimed, there are still huge economic losses with 35% fewer tourists this May versus the same month last year. And I'm willing to bet that figures will drop more now....

I won't say anything regarding what others should or shouldn't do, as it seems lately that several have taken it upon themselves to criticize my every utterance on that topic. :cool: But I expect most "casual travelers" have canceled their plans long since, and most "global explorers" are considering doing the same (if they haven't already), at least for now.

Edited by cruisemom42

British and German tourists are the main visitors to Turkey. Figures say that British tourist numbers have decreased by 40.9 per cent up to June 2016. If I'd had a holiday already booked to Turkey I would probably go, rather than lose the money, but I won't be booking to go there any time soon.

British and German tourists are the main visitors to Turkey. Figures say that British tourist numbers have decreased by 40.9 per cent up to June 2016. If I'd had a holiday already booked to Turkey I would probably go, rather than lose the money, but I won't be booking to go there any time soon.

I guess many have been hoping for a Govt. advisory to avoid unnecessary travel to Turkey so that they can cancel & get their money back on insurance

Lots of Russian tourists go to Turkey too, LT.

They were banned by Putin following the shooting-down of a Russian military jet - the ban has now been lifted, but with the consequent absence of bookings in the pipeline I guess the numbers will be very very low.

And don't forget the migrant trail to jumping off points like Bodrum & other western resorts. That's slowed to a trickle, but you don't go on vacation to see such sights.

It's hardly surprising that tourism in Turkey is on its knees.

And just so much of that pain is self-inflicted.