Non Formal Options on Voyager

Hblanton

Hi all:

My wife and I will be traveling on Voyager on April 30 - May 14 from FLL to Barcelona.

Both because we prefer not to dress formally for dinner (Here in SF I'm not sure there is a resturant that still requires a tie - jut not part of our culture) and because we will be packing very light (we will be "backpacking" around Europe after the trip) I am trying to assess our options to avoid formal nights.

Obviously we can dine in our suite, which will be lovely. I assume La Veranda is also "informal" or CCC, even on formal nights. Am I right about this?

My real question is about Signatures and Lattitudes. On formal nights do they follow the lead of Compass Rose, or do they stick to their own regime? Since I expect we will be about to book each of those resturants twice on the 14 night cruise, it would be nice if I could schedule a couple of those visits for formal nights and finesse the issue.

Thanks!

Lattitudes follows whatever the dress code is for that night. Signatures ALWAYS requires a jacket for men. I've found that for men the minimum for informal night is a jacket and open necked shirt and for formal night is a jacket and tie although a dark suit is "preferrable". I haven't eaten in La Veranda so can't speak for it, but I believe you can get away with CCC there all the time?

Thanks ATA. Your post is consistent with what I remember.

I'll have a jacket (I have this super cool travel blazer that looks great and has 120 secret pockets and you can drive over it with a tractor and it still looks freshly pressed) so I'll try to do Signatures on at least one formal night.

I know lots of people enjoy dressing up, and more power to them. I'm one of the Cretans who dumped his tie the moment my firm went to "casual every day" and I haven't looked back.

My quick count is that I am 110 or so days out from this trip. I booked it last May I think so I may explode by time it comes.

Regards.

Enjoy it. I just got off of Voyager on the 9th and can't wait to get back on...of course the PG beckons first.

BTW: my S.O. has one of those jackets. Thankfully he lost weight and it's now too big on him. LOL

Hi all:

Obviously we can dine in our suite, which will be lovely. I assume La Veranda is also "informal" or CCC, even on formal nights. Am I right about this?

My real question is about Signatures and Lattitudes. On formal nights do they follow the lead of Compass Rose, or do they stick to their own regime? Since I expect we will be about to book each of those resturants twice on the 14 night cruise, it would be nice if I could schedule a couple of those visits for formal nights and finesse the issue.

Thanks!

I am not an expert on this but my understanding is that the dress code applies to the public areas of the ship, not just the restaurants. In other words you are expected to "dress up" in the lounges and the theatre also, though I am aware that many do not. It isn't a big thing though. For men a tie added to their jacket is acceptable and ladies usually look nice for dinner and don't often turn up in jeans , T-shirts or shorts. Not on Regent, anyway.

On crossings a lot of folks are in your same situation. A simple black dress for the women and a tie and jacket for the men won't find you terribly out of place.

I haven't been on the Voyager for almost a year, but La Veranda used to be a casual steakhouse option on formal nights, so ccc would probably be fine. If you are going to the theater or cocktail party, I'd just say be discreet. Regent travelers don't seem to be obsessed with what others are wearing.

On the other hand, I was thinking about taking the QM so I could kennel my cats, and noticed in the brochure that dress at dinner was dressy every night "in the spirit of traditional crossings". Not for me!

JoAnne B

Yes the dress-code is enforced in the public areas, at least some times. My husband got turfed from one of the lounges on an informal night on Voyager. We had been to La Verandah for dinner, so he didn't bother with a jacket. They were polite about it, but firm. But HB, your jacket should have you covered pretty well, and if you pack a tie, I bet it will cover you in the public areas, even on formal night.

I also saw a guy politely seated in the far corner of Compass Rose last month on Navigator--he was wearing black jeans with no jacket, and it was a informal night.

I saw many of the men after dinner on formal and informal nights just wearing their good shirts and pants sans tie and jacket. And for the last formal night, one man wore a suit with a black shirt underneath with no tie. I think alot depends on who's enforcing the code.

I think the best rule of thumb would be, if you think you're going to look out of place, then you probably are.

I hate dressing up too, but for the comfort of the other passengers I would say you should adhere pretty closely to the dress code. Remember, "dressing up" is not done for yourself, it's for your spouse and the other folks on the cruise.

If I had my druthers I'd be in shorts and polo shirts 24/7, but on formal nights I would advise a suit and tie (not a sports coat). For informal nights, a suit with a silk "tee shirt" or a sports coat and slacks with tie would be good. On CCCs, a nice shirt and slacks. I think Sigs reguires a jacket, at least, at all times.

Ragnar "Cleans up nicely" D.

I hate dressing up too, but for the comfort of the other passengers I would say you should adhere pretty closely to the dress code. Remember, "dressing up" is not done for yourself, it's for your spouse and the other folks on the cruise.

If I had my druthers I'd be in shorts and polo shirts 24/7, but on formal nights I would advise a suit and tie (not a sports coat). For informal nights, a suit with a silk "tee shirt" or a sports coat and slacks with tie would be good. On CCCs, a nice shirt and slacks. I think Sigs reguires a jacket, at least, at all times.

Ragnar "Cleans up nicely" D.

I've worn jeans with an open collared shirt and a jacket and it has never been an issue.

I've worn jeans with an open collared shirt and a jacket and it has never been an issue.

Glad to hear it. I'llavoid jeans and go with slacks and a sports coat, and I'll skip the dining room on formal nights, but a suit and tie are definitely not in the program.

Then you're the exception because I know of a man who this last cruise got kicked out of the lounges for wearing jeans...and that was on CCC night.

Glad to hear it. I'llavoid jeans and go with slacks and a sports coat, and I'll skip the dining room on formal nights, but a suit and tie are definitely not in the program.
I think you'd be fine with the slacks, sports coat and a tie for formal night.

Then you're the exception because I know of a man who this last cruise got kicked out of the lounges for wearing jeans...and that was on CCC night.

to be clear, this was not during a formal night. I also think alot of it has to do with what you wear with jeans, not just the jeans themselves. If you are wearing a blazer noone really notices your bottoms.

Its the same outfit I have worn to several 5-star restaurants.

As far as I am concerned it is not my business to tell anyone how to dress.

I just do not understand what is so hard to put a suit and tie on for a few hours on a cruise. We all know the dress code when we sign up for a cruise.

It is not a matter of doing what we feel like doing. It is just common manners and consideration for the other people on the cruise.

To me one of the things that make the luxury cruises different is people dressing up on formal night. if that is not your thing there is always Carnival..

Why make it uncomfortable for the dining room staff who have to deal with the people who do their own thing with no regard for anyone but themselves...

I have no problem wearing a suit and tie for formal occasions. i think the real question is how do cruiselines adapt to changing standards regarding dressing up.

For instance, 10 years ago, i would only wear suits to meetings with clients. Now, I usually wear jeans and a sport coat. I adapted to the needs/preferences of the clients. As times progress, I think the standards of cruiselines should change.

I think RSSC would likely be one of the first to change since they are by far the youngest skewing of the luxury lines, which the most people my age (30s and 40s).

Actually I believe that Regent skews to around the 50-60 age group which is still younger than the other luxury lines. Personally I like to dress up as my line of work doesn't give me ample opportunities to do so.

Regent, line-wide, has offered us some alternatives to he usual three dress codes on several cruises we've taken. Of course, the PG is always CCC. We also took a Bermuda cruise and an Alaska cruise on Regent (then Radisson) that were all CCC. Finally, Regent may occasionally have a Caribbean sailing that is all CCC.

I really don't dislike the three dress codes on other itineraries, and even have taken to wearing a tux on formal nights. My only problem with this is the amount of luggage I must pack for longer cruises or cruises coupled with a land stay -- all in light of new lower airline weight and size limits on luggage.

Regent, line-wide, has offered us some alternatives to he usual three dress codes on several cruises we've taken. Of course, the PG is always CCC. We also took a Bermuda cruise and an Alaska cruise on Regent (then Radisson) that were all CCC. Finally, Regent may occasionally have a Caribbean sailing that is all CCC.

I really don't dislike the three dress codes on other itineraries, and even have taken to wearing a tux on formal nights. My only problem with this is the amount of luggage I must pack for longer cruises or cruises coupled with a land stay -- all in light of new lower airline weight and size limits on luggage.

Archived