August weather

zelly2

Doing Celebrity cruise southward to Vancouver August 7, 2015. What type of weather should we expect? Type of clothes needed for this time of year? Need to travel light so I only want to take what I will need and know will need to layer and have waterproof rain jacket or coat. Thanks for your help.

Doing Celebrity cruise southward to Vancouver August 7, 2015. What type of weather should we expect? Type of clothes needed for this time of year? Need to travel light so I only want to take what I will need and know will need to layer and have waterproof rain jacket or coat. Thanks for your help.

Hey Jean.. we did Alaska cruise in August of 2012 and I had a waterproof rain jacket as well as layers of long sleeve and light coat.

When we got to the glacier it was quite cold and windy , scarf , hat & gloves.

Most of the time it was sunny and mild, low 60's, best weather according to the captain.

Ketchikan was cloudy and misty .

ib

The ENTIRE cruise season- you need the same things. A WIDE range of attire, meaning a lightweight lined jacket, sweatshirt/fleece, water resistant footwear, rain gear. IF you are going to be outside at all from your cruise ship, knit hat and gloves.

The only sure thing about Alaska weather in August - it is unpredictable.

You will need a wide variety of clothing, though most days on land, if the weather is average you will need at a minimum a sweatshirt and probably a layer or two under that. Where it gets dicey can be at sea. Last year when we cruised in to Hubbard Glacier we were on the aft of the ship and we ended up shedding everything down to a single T shirt, on the way back out, because we were out of the sun it dropped into the 40s.

The thing you have to decide is how cold do you get.

I wouldn't worry about traveling light, assuming that you are on a US airline you get a 50 lb luggage allowance and you can get everything you need in that unless the suitcase weighs 20 lbs itself.

I saw numerous people on our cruises who weren't prepared for how cold it feels next to the glaciers. Layers work if you have the right clothes to layer. The gloves and a warm hat are the best things for keeping you warm. I had waterproof shoes for hiking. I need them especially on our first cruise when we had drizzle all day in Juneau and on our last cruise when we had intermittent showers in Skagway.

Thanks everyone. I thought I would need raincoat and layers which you can shed of it is warmer. Got to work on shoes as I planned to take my sneakers which are mesh. What did you wear that worked the best for you? Can't wait to see beautiful Alaska!

Thanks everyone. I thought I would need raincoat and layers which you can shed of it is warmer. Got to work on shoes as I planned to take my sneakers which are mesh. What did you wear that worked the best for you? Can't wait to see beautiful Alaska!

I did have waterproof shoes.. Walmart pricing but look like these ( men's)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=waterproof++duck+shoes

but these would work. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sloggers-Womens-Garden-Shoe-Midsummer-Black/19364928

Edited by ISLABONITA

Thanks for shoe advice. I planned to spray everything before I go for extra protection.

Thanks Ili for websites and your post on clothes. I have a pair of the Duck boots for winter but didn't think I would need them for this trip. Will ck Walmart and see what they have.

Again, thanks to you all for your help.

I bring CuddleDuds or silk long johns. They take up little room packing or under my clothes, give that needed extra warmth on cold outings, and can be used as spare pj's.

I also rely on a fleece vest that can go under a jacket or by itself.

And we bring the handwarmer packets that outdoorsmen use. On glacier days we stick them inside our gloves and socks if need be.

We use compression bags to pack our warm clothes.