Weather & Shopping in September

A1Texan

I'm planning my first Alaskan Cruise for September 6th. I know that the weather can be unpredictable and rainy at times but would like to hear from others that traveled there in September to share their experiences on what I should expect. We will be stopping in Juneau, Skagway or Ketchikan and was wondering what would be the best of the three to shop for gifts to bring back. A co-worker said that they start throwing things on sale in September because of the end of cruise season. Any truth to that? Any help would be awesome :)

I'm planning my first Alaskan Cruise for September 6th. I know that the weather can be unpredictable and rainy at times but would like to hear from others that traveled there in September to share their experiences on what I should expect. We will be stopping in Juneau, Skagway or Ketchikan and was wondering what would be the best of the three to shop for gifts to bring back. A co-worker said that they start throwing things on sale in September because of the end of cruise season. Any truth to that? Any help would be awesome :)

Sales start in Mid August . The best and cheapest place to get souvenirs in Alaska is the Walmart in Ketchikan. There is a shuttle to the Walmart and a lot of the crew shop there as well.

There is Christmas Store in Ketchikan as well .On some of the street away from the main street . There is a Russian store that sells products made in Russia not copies from China or else where.

Sales start in Mid August . The best and cheapest place to get souvenirs in Alaska is the Walmart in Ketchikan. There is a shuttle to the Walmart and a lot of the crew shop there as well.

There is Christmas Store in Ketchikan as well .On some of the street away from the main street . There is a Russian store that sells products made in Russia not copies from China or else where.

Thanks for the Walmart suggestion. Might be a great place to shop for co-workers but like the Christmas Store for ornaments. Ketchikan will be one of our last stops so I can load up on anything I may have missed.

When we went in September I couldn't believe all the deals there were. It was great and I bought much more than I normally would have. I was impressed with all the nice useable things I found for myself and others. Ulu knives, jackets, salad tongs etc. not just the touristy stuff you usually find in ports. All ports had great sales on almost everything. Anywhere from 50-70 percent off in most cases.

When we went in September I couldn't believe all the deals there were. It was great and I bought much more than I normally would have. I was impressed with all the nice useable things I found for myself and others. Ulu knives, jackets, salad tongs etc. not just the touristy stuff you usually find in ports. All ports had great sales on almost everything. Anywhere from 50-70 percent off in most cases.

Awesome information. I really like giving "useful" gifts to family. Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

There is also a Christmas store in Skagway. For Christmas ornaments in Ketchikan, check Scanlons(also close to the candy store). I am taking my fourth cruise to Alaska this September-I love this month. Probably jinxing myself but I have never had big problems with rain. I think the first time was the only time I used my rain cover. Only other month I have cruised Alaska was May. Will mention in Ketchikan the odor from dead salmon is bad on Creek Street.

Hello! We cruised to those same ports in 2012 in September and found that the Alaska T-Shirt Company had the best deals in Juneau. Everything was 50% off or more and they had tons and tons of items. We went to Juneau first and were dissapointed at the other ports not to find the same prices. We are going again in September this year and plan to stock up on as much as possible again. The weather in September for us was perfect, but that probably changes day to day and cruise to cruise. The deals to us are worth the chance of off weather. Have fun!!