Kings Cross Station

Hi All

We will be staying in Kensington in August and need to be at Kings Cross station for a 7.00 am departure. Any recommendations for the best way to get there?

Thanks

Sharon

A day trip to Edinburgh by train? That's ambitious! You'll see more of the inside of a train than you'll see of Edinburgh.

With no luggage, you could walk 15 minutes down to Earls Court Tube (just go straight down Warwick Road and use the station entrance on that street), then it should be about half an hour by Piccadilly Line Tube to Kings Cross. If you leave the hotel by 6 am, you should have enough time to make it to your train.

I think that the only other real alternative is a taxi (or minicab). At that time on a weekday morning, I think it'll probably be 30-45 minutes - more likely towards the lower end of the bracket if you're in a taxi because they can use bus lanes.

It gives us about six hours in Edinburgh, so not really too much different to a port day but also a good glimpse of the countryside. Unfortunately we have to squeeze in what we can on a short timetable.

I love the train journey up to Edinburgh from York northwards, but more especially between Durham and Edinburgh.

When you arrive at Waverley station, head up the ramp onto Waverley Bridge and the city centre will literally be in front of you. It is a short uphill walk to the castle- you will see it and just walk up towards it. From there you can walk down the Royal Mile. Obviously with just 6 hours you won't have the to go into the castle etc but you'll see the buildings. My only concern would be that the Edinburgh Festival and Fringe Festival will be on throughout August and it gives a really different feel to the city. There will be HUGE crowds everywhere. However to counter that, there will be lots of street entertainment, markets, exhibitions around the city

I suspect that this is an organised trip like this one.

I can see the appeal, and for those not used to train travel, it will also be an adventure.

Have you considered flying? I see that on July 12, you could take a Flybe plane from London City Airport (LCY) at 0700, arriving at Edinburgh (EDI) ay 0835. There is a return flight at 16:15 which gets you back at 17:55. http://goo.gl/flights/9UA1

I also see that an advance booking on Virgin Trains would be £118 for a first class carriage. On a long trip like this, I think 1st class would be worth the extra.

gives you a good idea of what to expect at Kings Cross. Edited by Bob++

I suspect that this is an organised trip like this one.

I can see the appeal, and for those not used to train travel, it will also be an adventure.

Have you considered flying? I see that on July 12, you could take a Flybe plane from London City Airport (LCY) at 0700, arriving at Edinburgh (EDI) ay 0835. There is a return flight at 16:15 which gets you back at 17:55. http://goo.gl/flights/9UA1

I also see that an advance booking on Virgin Trains would be £118 for a first class carriage. On a long trip like this, I think 1st class would be worth the extra.

I think the OP wants to enjoy the countryside and if they will see nothing of the North of England / Scottish Borders. The train journey isn't very long these days - only just over 4 hours, and you get a reserved seat. Last time we did 1st class, it was so crowded with business travellers that we didn't find it at all relaxing. We're travelling down to Southampton though next week on Cross-country first class so we're hoping it won't be so bad.

agree that the views between Durham and Edinburgh are best-starting with views of Durham cathedral and then Newcastle before coastal views in Northumberland-get reserved seating on right hand side of the train

Also agree go first class-specifically quiet coach where mobile phones and loud conversations banned so much more relaxing

Also Virgin East Coast first class travel on weekdays includes free refreshments including beer and wine and cooked meals depending on time of day

Thanks all, these boards can be so helpful. We have already booked our 1st class tickets, thought they were really quite good value. I didn't realise that the fringe festival was on, but that should be an interesting experience!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...

We did a day trip by train from kings cross and had enough time to do the castle. We got the hop on hop off bus at top of hill by train station and got off at castle. Spent several hours at castle. Was there for the 1 o'clock gun. Got to walk the royal mile and had plenty of time for shopping and meal. You will love Edinburg. That was my favorite city. Enjoy