Oscar Brown tours?

smith6

We will be cruising to Puerto Limon in February and considering a tour with Oscar Brown tours. Anyone toured with this company before?

We toured with Oscar Brown last April, enjoyed it very much.

We visited a banana plantation, did a brief walk in a jungle and a little boat ride. A lunch in a beach side restaurant, of rice & chicken was included. Soda was included, we could buy beer or drinks very inexpensively.

We saw a bit of wild life, one alligator, lizard, monkeys etc. I wouldn't say it was an exciting tour but, we did see a bit of Costa Rica. Oscar and his sister were very nice to chat with and it was worth every penny of the cost.

We used Oscar Brown Tours in 2008 on our first cruise. We were VERY happy with the experience. Oscar's group was easy to find on the pier, and Oscar himself was very friendly. We were the only ones that were doing the tour we chose (Sloth Sanctuary) so instead of moving us to another tour we were given our tour in his brother's 4 door sedan instead of a large tour bus.

After following a complete stranger in a foreign country out of the port area, into his car, and driving off into the countryside I started to rethink my decision. Just when I was thinking that this was a REALLY bad idea Oscar's brother came to stop at the side of the road and insisted that we get out of the vehicle. I remember saying to my husband "This is it, this is where we're going to die" ... but our guide simply wanted to show my 8 year old son the monkeys that were lounging in the tree tops along the road-side. Sigh of relief. LOL.

Our guide took us to the Sanctuary and, as with many of these port towns, the driver was friendly with the owners. When a big tour group from our ship arrived the owner's daughter re-arranged our sanctuary tour so we rarely saw another person. Our friends (who chose the same location but through cruise ship tour) were in a HUGE tour group... while our tour was just the 3 of us and our guide. My son was even able to hold several of the sloths ... while our friend had to put his son on his shoulders to see the sloths through the crowd. Afterwards we stopped at a banana sanctuary where, again, the guide knew the owners/staff and gave us his own private tour. Very knowledgeable. He then drove us to the shipping yards so our son could see the ships exporting bananas. We went to a beach that "only the locals go to" and had lunch at a local restaurant.

We had SUCH a different experience than the cruise tour. We had a full day and saw SO much compared to our friends. We were back to the ship in plenty of time and had an AMAZING day. Highly recommend Oscar Brown Tours.

• 10 months later...

Just did a tour with Oscar Brown and really enjoyed it. Please go see the Jaguar Rescue Center. We did a combo with #1. We got to go into a monkey area and I held a monkey. Showed us sloths, birds, other animals. This center depends on donations. There were only 4 of us and I'll take a private tour anyday. In fact as we were driving away from the Del Monte Banana Plantation, 2 40 passenger tour buses were coming up to stop. Our guide at the canals, showed us a baby alligator hidden in the bushes. We got back to the ship on time and he drove us right up to the ship's entrance. My friend even had time to do some shopping at the duty free port.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
We are using him in March we will probably do the Tortuguero canal & Cahuita Park.

Please come back and tell us about Cahuita Park. I really struggled with going to Cahuita alone or to the Jaguar Rescue Center with a group, and chose the latter. I'd love to hear about the park.