Istanbul

Hi-has anyone done Istanbul on their own? It looks do-able by Metro? Thanks

Yes very doable on your own. It's possible to walk into the centre over the Galata Bridge but if you want to catch the tram then you will need to have some TL to buy the tokens at the machine at the stop. The way out of the port is in the opposite direction to where you want to go but you have to just follow the exit route. Once you hit the main road, turn right (away from the centre) as this stop is much closer than the one nearer to town.

The Topkapi is one of the top attractions and I would suggest if you want to go there, make for it first before the crowds and tours arrive. You can walk between the main sights quiteyeasily; the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Cisterns are all in the same vicinity and the Grand Bazaar and Spice Market not far away. If you are happy enough to walk, there's absolutely no reason to take a tour here and to save your legs a bit, take the tram in and out.

It's agreat city, we love iI.

You can get the tram, go out port gates - turn right about 100 yds to tram stop 4turkish lira get token at machine, it takes notes and coins. The stop is in the middle of road, very easy. Stay on tram after bridge for couple stops I think that's near Blue Mosque/Topaki Palace/Cistern/Grand Baazar.

Magic city you will really enjoy the experience.

We were there last week and did it on our own, more or less. We didn't fancy the metro, though people said it was doable. We opted to walk to the bridge ( turn left once out of the port and follow the main road). We went across the bridge and then, as it was over 40dg we opted for a taxi to the blue mosque, 10 euros. Worth every penny in the heat! We were approached by a 'guide' outside the mosque and for another 10 euros, he took us in, missing the 90 minute queue and gave us the whole tour. When you leave the mosque, ask anyone and they will direct you to the spice market and bazaar. These are quite close. Thomson are very expensive for their excursion and you still have to queue for everything, so I was told. We felt very safe in the city, but were a little intimidated by the 'hustle and bustle' of the place. Incidentally, we were somewhat underwhelmed by the blue mosque, but I guess that is subjective. The city is very, very busy so expect to do a lot of queuing and of course, every shop or stall you pass expect to be hassled! Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Avoid all the crowds and hassle that tourists attract!

Head for Kadikoy on the Asian side, by public ferry.

Walk out of the cruise ship terminal. Turn left and carry on to and over the Galata Bridge [keep left].

Once over the bridge keep left, and the public ferry terminal [Eminonu] is on your left. Buy a ticket [jeton]. and catch the public ferry to Kadikoy. There's 2 or 3 ferries an hour during the day.

The ferry takes 25 minutes, the short trip is a great experience with wonderful views. When you get to Kadikoy the town centre is across the road right in front of you.

Google 'Kadikoy images' for a taster.

It's a lovely place, young and vibrant, and hardly any tourist. It's perfectly safe.

When you get the ferry back to Eminonu, opposite the ferry terminal at Eminonu, about 400 yards in and slightly to the right there's the covered Spice Market [Google ' Istanbul Spice Market'], for a whole variety turkish delight and all the spices under the sun. You'll might need to haggle a bit.

Also opposite and to the left of Eminonu is Sirkeci Train Station [Google 'Sirkeci Train Station], which is the main station to Europe [think Orient Express]. It's an interesting place, a free railway museum, and an atmospheric restaurant.

From outside Sirkeci Train Station, follow the main road to the left [and the tram lines], and there are loads and loads of interesting shops and places to eat and drink. Following the tram lines [but on them!] will get you to the main tourist area [sultanahmet] in about 10 minutes.

Istanbul is one of the worlds great cities. I've been several times, but feel as though I've only skimmed the surface.

Hi Wiganath

Make sure you don't miss old Istanbul - Tokaki Palace for us is the place to visit, Blue Mosque we were very unimpressed, Grand Bazaar ok if you like markets we again not impressed. By using the tram you get much more time in the city without the long walk in the heat.

Hi Wiganath

Make sure you don't miss old Istanbul - Tokaki Palace for us is the place to visit, Blue Mosque we were very unimpressed, Grand Bazaar ok if you like markets we again not impressed. By using the tram you get much more time in the city without the long walk in the heat.

Are the trams air conditioned?

All-afloaty :)

Agree with Lancaster lad the Asian side is definitely worth the short trip if you want to sample different cultures. Also worth it is Maidens of Leander's tower which stands on a little island in the Bosporus , there's a lovely legend that goes along with it , Google for further info. The views from there are super!

We were underwhelmed with the blue mosque too. Thought suleymaniye mosque was much nicer and a lot quieter, no queues.

The Asian side sounds good, an ex student of mine who is Turkish kept telling me that as well.

Kruzseeka, have you just been on a different line than Thomson? I think I remember you saying you were...

If so would love to know your comparisons.

Are the trams air conditioned?

Yep, and very modern.

Here's the routes...

http://www.urbanrail.net/as/tr/istanbul/istanbul-map.htm

The only one you're likely to be interested in is the blue route.

The stop just outside the cruise ferryport is called Tophane.

To get to the main tourist area you can get off at either Sultanahmet or Cemberlitas.

If you want to go to the Spice Market get off at Eminonu. But it's also an easy walk, just follow the tram line.

If you fancy going over to the Asian side (perfectly safe) to Kadikoy, then get off at the tram at Eminonu [or walk], and catch a local public ferry.

If you fancy a freshly caught fish sandwich, then Eminonu is the place.

Be wary of scammers in the Eminonu area.

Another popular tourist area is Istiklal Caddesi, which is close to the ferry port. Take the tram in the opposite direction to the terminus at Kabitas. Then cross the road and take the funicular up into a tunnel through the hillside [takes a minute] to Taksim.

Also check out the Bosporus Cruise, which is a 6 hour affair, setting off from Eminonu at c1030. Google it. It'll be a lot cheaper than an organised cruise from the ship, but it will be very busy.

It's peasy-pie, and absolutely no need for a tour. Google some of the places I've highlighted.

The only problem that you're likely to encounter with the trams is that they're likely to be v.busy when there's cruise ships alongside.

Whatever you do, don't try and over commit yourselves, as you'll just get bewildered and tired.

If a bloke carrying shoe-shine brushes passes you, and 'accidentally' drops a brush, then just ignore it!

We're off on the Caribbean Quest on Celebration in November, but Istanbul is never far away from our sights. Great place.

Well, we must have spent about 6 days in Istanbul in total - and I've never seen the HoHo!! :eek::eek: :o

But I've had a look and yes, there is one and here is the map:

http://eng.bigbustours.com/UploadedFiles/Istanbul_Map_December_13_201401032127.pdf

The Port (Karakoy) is marked as #4 on the map - or if you walk to the right when you meet the main road as you leave the port area, there is a mosque which is an obvious landmark (Tophane) where they appear to pick up (#3) on the red route. Will be very convenient for cruise ship passengers.

Thanks Lancaster Lad for all the great information on Istanbul. :) We had thought of using the ferries to get to the Asian side and spend some time at a small place I'd read about - perhaps that was Kadikoy - but I lost my nerve not having any detailed instructions so we just did a Bosphorus cruise instead. So, this is all very useful - I'll save it for future reference. We love Istanbul so hope we may make it back there sometime.

You're v.welcome.

I did an enduring JBR on Trip Advisor a few years ago after our first visit to Istanbul. ...

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k3233572-Our_week_on_a_shoe_string_in_Istanbul-Istanbul.html

Obviously, all of the prices, visa stuff, and the like will be out of date now.

Edited by Lancaster Lad

Yep, and very modern.

Here's the routes...

http://www.urbanrail.net/as/tr/istanbul/istanbul-map.htm

The only one you're likely to be interested in is the blue route.

The stop just outside the cruise ferryport is called Tophane.

To get to the main tourist area you can get off at either Sultanahmet or Cemberlitas.

If you want to go to the Spice Market get off at Eminonu. But it's also an easy walk, just follow the tram line.

If you fancy going over to the Asian side (perfectly safe) to Kadikoy, then get off at the tram at Eminonu [or walk], and catch a local public ferry.

If you fancy a freshly caught fish sandwich, then Eminonu is the place.

Be wary of scammers in the Eminonu area.

Another popular tourist area is Istiklal Caddesi, which is close to the ferry port. Take the tram in the opposite direction to the terminus at Kabitas. Then cross the road and take the funicular up into a tunnel through the hillside [takes a minute] to Taksim.

Also check out the Bosporus Cruise, which is a 6 hour affair, setting off from Eminonu at c1030. Google it. It'll be a lot cheaper than an organised cruise from the ship, but it will be very busy.

It's peasy-pie, and absolutely no need for a tour. Google some of the places I've highlighted.

The only problem that you're likely to encounter with the trams is that they're likely to be v.busy when there's cruise ships alongside.

Whatever you do, don't try and over commit yourselves, as you'll just get bewildered and tired.

If a bloke carrying shoe-shine brushes passes you, and 'accidentally' drops a brush, then just ignore it!

We're off on the Caribbean Quest on Celebration in November, but Istanbul is never far away from our sights. Great place.

Aww thanks for all the information Lancaster Lad it is all very useful and makes me feel more confident about doing Istanbul on our own.

• 2 weeks later...
You're v.welcome.

I did an enduring JBR on Trip Advisor a few years ago after our first visit to Istanbul. ...

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k3233572-Our_week_on_a_shoe_string_in_Istanbul-Istanbul.html

Obviously, all of the prices, visa stuff, and the like will be out of date now.

Just read your review on Istanbul on Trip Advisor, Lancaster Lad, it's great and I know after my 1 day there on Ancient Wonders cruise I'm going to want to go stay there for a week.