ONLY Trip Cancellation

BosoxI

I have spent a number of hours searching for policies that provide only cancellation insurance. I don't need medical coverage and if my luggage is lost, I'll bear the cost.

So far I have found only one source via a broker named Squaremouth. Has anyone found insurance companies providing just this coverage?

Has anyone had experience with Squaremouth or the particular insurer April?

I have spent a number of hours searching for policies that provide only cancellation insurance. I don't need medical coverage and if my luggage is lost, I'll bear the cost.

So far I have found only one source via a broker named Squaremouth. Has anyone found insurance companies providing just this coverage?

There have been some problems reported here about policies sold through them.

We'd recommend you call

http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com

(CALL, don't just read the summaries, as the fine print is also important, as some find out belatedly.)

Tell them what you want, and they'll make suggestions from their vetted insurance companies.

There have been some problems reported here about policies sold through them.

We'd recommend you call

http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com

(CALL, don't just read the summaries, as the fine print is also important, as some find out belatedly.)

Tell them what you want, and they'll make suggestions from their vetted insurance companies.

Thanks for the tip, but it is as I feared. None of their companies sells just the cancellation policy.

I guess it just isn't lucrative for them, but I know so many travelers have medical policies that provide worldwide coverage, making a comprehensive policy unnecessary. I would think someone would see the void and take steps to fill it. But, apparently, the payoff isn't there Thanks again.

I'm also interested in just a cancellation policy. I checked with my health insurance company, and they've got me covered overseas, even in case of evacuation. Maybe I'll get a credit card to cover the trip cancellation.

If I find out anything helpful, I'll post.

I would bet that those who have world wide coverage don't have the coverage they think they have.

I also have coverage outside the US.

However, I called and asked specific questions

1. If the care provider requires payment up front, will you do this?

No

2. At what rate do you reimburse?

Out Of Network

3. Do you pay for evacuation?

Yes, just as if you required an ambulance.

Follow up

Okay, I'm stable but need to be evacuated back to a hospital closer to my home for continued care. Do you cover this?

No

4. If I die, do you pay to have my remains repatriated?

No

I continue to purchase a comprehensive policy

Would you really buy from a broker named Squaremouth. I know that I wouldn't.

DON

I don't believe the bundling of other benefits is so costly that I'd worry about it. Sure, every dollar counts but it's usually a minor amount. Here's an example frm a CSA plan:

A 60 year old traveler insuring a $3000 trip cost would pay $169 including trip cancellation/interruption, medical , evacuation, baggage loss/damage, trip delay, rental car coverage, 24-hour assistance, etc.

If he buys all of those benefits EXCEPT cancellation/interruption the premium becomes $25. So of that original $169 premium, $25 covers all of those extra included benefits over and above the cancellation/interruption benefits. That might be $25 he would rather not pay but it's not a HUGE portion of the total premium.

To compare coverages:

1. with cancellation & IN trip coverages: input your trip/cruise costs at http://www.csatravelprotection.com

2. with only IN (post departure) trip coverages: input $0 trip/cruise cost at http://www.csatravelprotection.com

The difference in price would be your cancellation protection only. Call CSA to get the cancellation coverage only.

CSA sells the post departure coverages stand alone so why not sell the cancellation stand alone.

CSA sells the post departure coverages stand alone so why not sell the cancellation stand alone.

Maybe they don't want to but maybe they aren't allowed to. What travel insurers can and cannot offer is highly regulated by each state's (also DC) department of insurance decides what coverages these plans must cover and may not cover. For example, CSA's standard packages include rental car coverage. But not for residents of Texas. Why? Because Texas says they can't. So CSA has a plan just for Texans (they charge the same price though). Does having Texans pay the same but get less coverage to their advantage? The Texas Dept of Insurance thinks so. The state of WA is notorious for this sort of thing. So, often what an insurer offers isn't what they want to offer but instead what they must (or must not) offer.

Maybe they don't want to but maybe they aren't allowed to. What travel insurers can and cannot offer is highly regulated by each state's (also DC) department of insurance decides what coverages these plans must cover and may not cover. For example, CSA's standard packages include rental car coverage. But not for residents of Texas. Why? Because Texas says they can't. So CSA has a plan just for Texans (they charge the same price though). Does having Texans pay the same but get less coverage to their advantage? The Texas Dept of Insurance thinks so. The state of WA is notorious for this sort of thing. So, often what an insurer offers isn't what they want to offer but instead what they must (or must not) offer.

You are absolutely right. Even credit card benefits are different between states and regional areas. For example, AAA credit cards have dhifferent benefits depending upon where you opened the credit card. Years ago, mine was opened under Hawaii AAA. I have the VISA Signature card with BofA. My benefits are different than my hubby's AAA credit card opened in Florida a few years ago. Last month his AAA card was transferred from BofA VISA to US Bank's MasterCard. There has been no change with the Hawaii AAA VISA.

Cruiseco

So nice to hear from you again. I miss your input on knowledge of this subject.

Don't be a stranger.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the only cancellation-only policy I can find. They sell an annual plan (without cancellation coverage) so I think they offer this for those that want cancellation coverage for a specific trip while the annual plan provides the medical, evac, delay interruption coverages. I don't see any waiver of their pre-existing medical condition exclusion but I didn't look it over real closely.

http://en.april-international.com/us/trip-cancellation-insurance

I agree with others that a vast bulk of the cost is the cancellation coverage. If you were able to take out the medical and baggage the cost savings would likely be small and the amount you are paying for that is probably worth it. To give you an example, I'm in the opposite boat. I am taking a trip that is too expensive for me to insure. Comprehensive insurance is $500-$1000 and I'm not concerned enough about the possibility of missing the trip to worry about that. I do want medical and baggage coverage though and for my 3 week trip, I can pick up both of those with the highest coverage levels possible and lowest deductible for about $50 each.

That being said, look at American express travel insurance. They let you pick and choose the coverage you want. (That's where I'm looking at the baggage policy).

I typically don't get medical insurance when I travel, however, just be aware that my policy covers me completely outside the US. However, it's reimbursement (think most are). So I have to pay upfront, and frankly, I don't know that I have a high enough credit card limit to cover a major hospitalization. And I don't trust that another country's hospital will not turn me away if I can't pay upfront.