Sailing first time from Southampton, 5days in England after cruise

happy_travellers

Hi

I hope I am on the right board to get some help for my spring cruise.

We are taking the Explorer of the Seas to the Canary Islands. We will fly from Toronto Canada to London. Where should we stay the night before and how do we get to the cruise terminal?

After the cruise we have 5 or 6 days that we may explore a bit of Britain. Any suggestions? We have thought of renting a car from Southampton but not sure what area to go to. We could also take the cruise shuttle to London and then rent a car and go north?

My trusted travel agent is very ill and I feel a bit overwhelmed as where to start planning.

Thanks very much for any and all help and ideas, Karen

With regard to the five days touring by car you could do Windsor, Oxford, Cambridge, Stonehenge, The Cotswolds. All lovely places, very scenic and lots to see and do.

If you wanted to go further north I would advise taking the train and then renting a car to see such places as; Yorkshire or the Lake District.

If you want to stay overnight pre cruise in Southampton I have stayed at the Grand Harbour hotel.

If you have any more specific questions please ask.

With regard to the five days touring by car you could do Windsor, Oxford, Cambridge, Stonehenge, The Cotswolds. All lovely places, very scenic and lots to see and do.

If you wanted to go further north I would advise taking the train and then renting a car to see such places as; Yorkshire or the Lake District.

If you want to stay overnight pre cruise in Southampton I have stayed at the Grand Harbour hotel.

If you have any more specific questions please ask.

That is very helpful info. The Cotswolds keep coming up as a good place to visit from Southampton . Any specific towns do you recommend?

Thanks Karen

It rather depends on your interests but Blenheim Palace is near Woodstock and that is a lovely place to walk around and maybe have lunch. The other places which attract tourists are include; Broadway, Stow, and Chipping Camden.

This is a potted guide which you may find useful.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destination/uk/60571/Cotswolds-attractions.html

And this; http://scratchmyfeet.com/holiday-ideas/visit-cotswold-villages/

For a stay in Oxford I would reccomend the Randolph if budget allows and for Cambridge I would look at the Marriot because it is right in the heart of town and has valet parking.

With just five days I think you should either concentrate on this area or head right up north by train immediately to maximise your time here.

It rather depends on your interests but Blenheim Palace is near Woodstock and that is a lovely place to walk around and maybe have lunch. The other places which attract tourists are include; Broadway, Stow, and Chipping Camden.

This is a potted guide which you may find useful.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destination/uk/60571/Cotswolds-attractions.html

And this; http://scratchmyfeet.com/holiday-ideas/visit-cotswold-villages/

For a stay in Oxford I would reccomend the Randolph if budget allows and for Cambridge I would look at the Marriot because it is right in the heart of town and has valet parking.

With just five days I think you should either concentrate on this area or head right up north by train immediately to maximise your time here.

Thanks so much for the ideas. This was exactly what I hoped for, someone passionate about an area enough to recommend it. We are going in May, how far out would I have to get accomodations?

Thanks again, Karen

Well, I love The Cotswolds and so do most US visitors, but I am from up north so the Lake District is really my passion. For a first trip with just five days though and flying back out from London, the Cotswolds and surroundings are probably your best bet. You could also visit Highclere Cstle near Newbury which is where Downton Abbey is filmed if that interests you and time allows.

For early May you need not book until later this year unless there is a specific place you must stay, but, if it is the last week in May that is half term for schools here so I would book as soon as my plans were finalised. Most hotels allow cancellations so you lose nothing if you cancel in good time if plans change.

Well, I love The Cotswolds and so do most US visitors, but I am from up north so the Lake District is really my passion. For a first trip with just five days though and flying back out from London, the Cotswolds and surroundings are probably your best bet. You could also visit Highclere Cstle near Newbury which is where Downton Abbey is filmed if that interests you and time allows.

For early May you need not book until later this year unless there is a specific place you must stay, but, if it is the last week in May that is half term for schools here so I would book as soon as my plans were finalised. Most hotels allow cancellations so you lose nothing if you cancel in good time if plans change.

Thank you.

I will look up Highclere Castle. I am sure this Canadian would love the Lake District too, but I have heard that it looks a lot like the area of Canada I am from so maybe better to go to Cotswolds or Southeastern England this time.

Karen

It's real easy to get to Southampton from London. There is a train from Waterloo Station. Have a look at http://www.thetrainline.com or if you are flying in and want to stay at the port overnight you can take a National Express bus from Heathrow http://www.nationalexpress.com then a cab from there to the hotel.