Norwegian Jewel - Specialty Dining Open for Lunch?

CapitalKyle

Hi - going on a group cruise on the Jewel in March. It will be my second NCL cruise but the first was on Sky, so I didn't get much of the true "NCL experience," I don't think.

My question is whether the specialty restaurants (Teppanyaki, Cagneys, etc...) are open for lunch? We are sailing with a group who will likely want to stick to the MDR mostly, but a friend and I don't want to miss out on the specialty restaurants!

Hi - going on a group cruise on the Jewel in March. It will be my second NCL cruise but the first was on Sky, so I didn't get much of the true "NCL experience," I don't think.

My question is whether the specialty restaurants (Teppanyaki, Cagneys, etc...) are open for lunch? We are sailing with a group who will likely want to stick to the MDR mostly, but a friend and I don't want to miss out on the specialty restaurants!

Specialty restaurants do not open until 5:30pm.

Maybe you and your friend could opt out of group dinner a few nights?

Sometimes NCL used to open one specialty on a sea day, I specifically remember eating lunch at Tepannyaki on Epic in November. I bought extra meals hoping they would, but as NW Pacific said, none were open on the Jewel in December - even with lots of sea days. Moderno was open to suite guests for breakfast and lunch, but was not the usual Moderno dinner fare.

You'll see one specialty restaurant open for lunch, but it is for suite guests only.

Moderno was open to suite guests for breakfast and lunch, but was not the usual Moderno dinner fare.

Just to clarify -- suite guests get to have lunch (and breakfast) in a restricted dining area. On the Jewel-class and older ships, one of the specialty restaurants (typically Cagney's and now Moderno) is used for this purpose (physically), but the menus are not the specialty restaurant menus, they are suite breakfast and lunch menus.

Thanks everyone for the responses! I may just have to ditch the group for a couple dinners :p

Which restaurant(s) should I not miss?? I've heard Cagneys...

Food is so subjective. We haven't been on the Jewel in years (we board her again this Friday for the Panama Canal!), so I can't be Jewel-specific here, but we think Cagney's is overrated. Surely you have better steakhouses in DC (or pretty much anywhere). We usually enjoy Le Bistro and Teppanyaki, On the Gem last February, we were underwhelmed with the meats at Moderno (dry and tough, just like the steaks at Cagney's, with which it shares a kitchen), though we enjoyed the salad bar and the papaya cream dessert, and went back a second night just for those. (Again, the meats will not be anywhere near the quality of a Fogo de Chao.)

We have the UDP on the Jewel (and we are Platinum, so we also get two dinners at Le Bistro), and so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some good dining experiences!

Enjoy your cruise!

Food is so subjective. We haven't been on the Jewel in years (we board her again this Friday for the Panama Canal!), so I can't be Jewel-specific here, but we think Cagney's is overrated. Surely you have better steakhouses in DC (or pretty much anywhere). We usually enjoy Le Bistro and Teppanyaki, On the Gem last February, we were underwhelmed with the meats at Moderno (dry and tough, just like the steaks at Cagney's, with which it shares a kitchen), though we enjoyed the salad bar and the papaya cream dessert, and went back a second night just for those. (Again, the meats will not be anywhere near the quality of a Fogo de Chao.)

We have the UDP on the Jewel (and we are Platinum, so we also get two dinners at Le Bistro), and so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some good dining experiences!

Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you for the thoughts, and enjoy the Panama Canal cruise! That sounds wonderful.