Dream Beach - St.Maartin

gchamber

Trip adviser gives is great reviews. My question is can we spend the day here as a day pass?

The food looks awesome and the beach is beautiful. Please let me know what you find out, we will be there in a couple weeks.

Thanks

Marcia

You don't really need a day pass - as long as you buy food and drink. It is fairly pricey - about 18 euros (say $20) for a hamburger. The beach, on Nettle Bay, is OK - pretty calm and shallow. The best beach on the island (if not too rough, as sometimes happens) is Baie Rouge - about a quarter mile further down the west side of the island, just where the road makes a 90 degree turn to the left.

Trip adviser gives is great reviews. My question is can we spend the day here as a day pass?

The food looks awesome and the beach is beautiful. Please let me know what you find out, we will be there in a couple weeks.

Thanks

Marcia

It's on my list for May. I don't really like the area that its in to be honest. My sister vacationed on the island for a couple of weeks this past fall and really enjoyed the 2 days that they spent here. I haven't been to Nettle Bay beach in years but it was never a favorite of mine.

It's on my list for May. I don't really like the area that its in to be honest. My sister vacationed on the island for a couple of weeks this past fall and really enjoyed the 2 days that they spent here. I haven't been to Nettle Bay beach in years but it was never a favorite of mine.

I agree that the area is somewhat dismal - the road lined by mid-range hotels and miscellaneous businesses. I think the beach is kind of boring as you have to go pretty far out to get any depth, but it does appeal to people who like calm, shallow beaches. The only real reason to go there is the Dream restaurant, and it is convenient if you are coming back from Marigot.

You don't really need a day pass - as long as you buy food and drink. It is fairly pricey - about 18 euros (say $20) for a hamburger. The beach, on Nettle Bay, is OK - pretty calm and shallow. The best beach on the island (if not too rough, as sometimes happens) is Baie Rouge - about a quarter mile further down the west side of the island, just where the road makes a 90 degree turn to the left.

I don`t think I would ever put Baie Rouge on my best list.

WAY too rocky and so often rough waters that I can`t predict from the weather forecast.

gary

I don`t think I would ever put Baie Rouge on my best list.

WAY too rocky and so often rough waters that I can`t predict from the weather forecast.

gary

In '92 and '93 it was my favorite beach but I returned after Hurricane's Louis and Lenny had hit the island and to me this beach has never been the same. My DH and DD were tossed under something awful in '06 by a surprise giant wave. I've been back several times since and enjoyed a glorious swim on the far right side of the beach this past summer. That was pretty much the only area that you could safely enter the water due to the large rocks at the shoreline.

I think Baie Rouge is a beautiful beach and usually not at all crowded. However, as with many of the beaches = especially Mullet, you do need to be careful if there is a significant surf - then it can be dangerous entering and exiting the water. I have seen people at Baie Rouge knocked down when it is rough - fortunately, never saw anyone seriously injured when I was there.

I think Baie Rouge is a beautiful beach and usually not at all crowded. However, as with many of the beaches = especially Mullet, you do need to be careful if there is a significant surf - then it can be dangerous entering and exiting the water. I have seen people at Baie Rouge knocked down when it is rough - fortunately, never saw anyone seriously injured when I was there.

It wasn't the entering or exiting the water that got my DH and DD it was the huge wave that totally caught them off guard and dragged them both under. 10 days later she got her hair braided and the lady said "you have sand embedded into your scalp and my DD said "I don't want to talk about it" . She was 12 at the time, she later became a lifeguard.

I have been knocked over by waves at Mullet but I have never been caught off guard by a surprise wave like at Baie Rouge which to me is far scarier.

• 2 months later...

Loved our day there last week. Food was great. Very quiet, very peaceful, water was not totally calm - would not have been suitable for young children. Very comfortable chairs and umbrella - no charge since we bought lunch and drinks. Bought a cute dress in their shop; credit cards accepted and charged in US dollars. Taxi needs to go through Marigot to get there and back. Made arrangements with our driver to pick us up - she sent another driver, who was on time and wonderful. Traffic heavy, allow plenty of time. Perfect day.

• 10 months later...

Went back again this week. This place has been discovered. Got there about 10 and almost all chairs taken. Lunch was good.

Original taxi there died on the way, while that driver had agreed to come and get us, his replacement didn't. We couldn't get a cab to pick us up (7 ships that day), finally I begged/ incented a group there to give us a lift and they did.

While I liked this place I would not risk going out there without better arrangements with a reliable driver.