Beach/Resort Passes for the day - St Thomas

My family (myself, hubs, daughter 16, daughter 7) are porting in St Thomas, first time at this port, for the day on our Jun 20th cruise. I am looking for the best beaches for the day and possibly a resort to hang at. Magans Bay seems a tad to over crowded for my taste.

Suggestions....... and go!

St Thomas is the best beach stop on your itinerary and there are several to choose from. If snorkeling isn't in your plans I'd consider the Best Western Emerald Beach Hotel on Lindbergh Bay. You're docking to the east of town and the BW is to the west of town but it's not that far and a $5 - $6pp taxi each way I'm guessing. Shouldn't be overly crowded that day since your ship is the only one scheduled that day, and it's a nice spot to rent lounges and have a lunch.

For one of the nicest beaches the East End beaches are gorgeous and they also offer snorkeling. Because there are no other ships in port you could enjoy Coki, Sapphire, or Secret Harbor, and Sapphire would be our choice for the abundant natural shade, island views, and water. Taxi is $10pp each way.

Any of these beaches will have the amenities you want and you can search this forum or google for more details on them. Coki and Magens will be the more crowded beaches that day, Coki is a small bay and Magens is rated#1 by some. But you will find all of these beaches are very nice.

Enjoy!

Edited by blue_water

we went to bolongo bay resort for the day. the day pass for 4 was 120$, dont know if its the same price its been a few years. you get to use thier beach and pool, and non moterized watersports. my teen loved it. they have paddle boat, kayak, aqua tricycle, mini catamaran, mini sail baot, and the surf board with a sail thing. there was barely anyone there. it was like you have the beach to yourself. the waves were not strong.

• 4 weeks later...
we went to bolongo bay resort for the day. the day pass for 4 was 120$, dont know if its the same price its been a few years. you get to use thier beach and pool, and non moterized watersports. my teen loved it. they have paddle boat, kayak, aqua tricycle, mini catamaran, mini sail baot, and the surf board with a sail thing. there was barely anyone there. it was like you have the beach to yourself. the waves were not strong.

Do you know how many ships were in port the day you were there? Also, can you go there without getting the day pass?

Do you know how many ships were in port the day you were there? Also, can you go there without getting the day pass?

Yes, you can go without getting a day pass. It's not a place cruise ship passengers often go, so the number of ships in port shouldn't really matter.

Edited by 2PinaColadas

• 3 weeks later...
The Best Western is a nice spot to enjoy the beach and has an open air restaurant, a beach bar, nice restrooms and the staff we've met is nice.

do you have to get a day pass for the Best Western? can you rent chairs & umbrella's?

is it a sandy beach good for kids?

Thanks!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
do you have to get a day pass for the Best Western? can you rent chairs & umbrella's?

is it a sandy beach good for kids?

Thanks!!!!

I was just there April 20th. Beautiful...I will definitely go back to Emerald Beach. No, you don't have to buy a day pass. We rented chairs for 7.00 a piece, 10.00 a piece if you want to include the umbrella. There are plenty of trees for shade. There was a couple there with two little ones playing in the sand. It's fine for kids. Clean restrooms and there was a nice restaurant and beach bar but I didn't use it.

I was just there April 20th. Beautiful...I will definitely go back to Emerald Beach. No, you don't have to buy a day pass. We rented chairs for 7.00 a piece, 10.00 a piece if you want to include the umbrella. There are plenty of trees for shade. There was a couple there with two little ones playing in the sand. It's fine for kids. Clean restrooms and there was a nice restaurant and beach bar but I didn't use it.

Thanks for the feedback!

We'll arrive on the Freedom of the seas. Not sure if it's the same pier as your ship. How much was the cab?

Trying to compare this versus going to water island

We'll arrive on the Freedom of the seas. Not sure if it's the same pier as your ship. How much was the cab?

Trying to compare this versus going to water island

Cab was 7.00 pp, one way. But I think you had to have at least 6 people for that price.

Cab fare should be approximately $6 pp for more than 2 in the taxi. I saw a post a while back saying she had problems getting a taxi from Havensight to Emerald, so you may have to be prepared to go to Tourism Info booth at Havensight to complain and get them to get a taxi for you.

I have to give two thumbs up to Emerald Beach/Best Western. Wonderfully relaxing, serene, calm water. Spent the whole day there and would go back in a heartbeat! I actually asked to see a room in the hotel and was just handed a key and told, go, look. Typical BW. Price would be right for a return stay. Enjoyed the lunch in cafe also. In fact, bought the tee shirt,:p If you want wild music, pushy vendors, hot hot hot, skip it. If you want serene, well, this is the place. Thanks, BlueWater, for your earlier rec. :)

Would you recommend sapphire beach or emerald beach for snorkling? If we go to Sapphire Beach does anyone have a recommendation on where to go for snorkling equipment and beach chairs? Thanks!

Yes Sapphire has excellent off the beach snorkeling with a coral area and a separate seagrass area. You are dropped right by Dive In which rents snorkel gear, vests, and kayaks along with lounges and float mats. You'll find an area to the right (as you face the sea) with natural shade and that's where the coral is, you can put your chairs there or go in the other direction to where the swimming area and seagrass area are located. The Banana Cabana beach grill is located between condo bldgs B & C (A is by the dive center) and they have drinks and an excellent mahi mahi sandwich. The sandwich is pricey at $14 but you're on the beach and it's worth every penny. They and the Sapphire restaurant behind the marina have runners taking orders on the beach as well.

Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach named for the Best Western Hotel there) is a nice beach to relax at but not good for snorkeling.

Edited by blue_water

Hello All,

We will be arriving 9/21 to St. Thomas with a time at port of 07:00 - 17:00 Ship's Time; now it may take a while to get off the ship and such, so lets say that we are in St Thomas 08.00 am to 04.30 pm. We want to make the most of our visit a beach day (we scuba dove here at coki beach last year so this time we just want to relax on the beach)

We have read about St. John (trunk or cinnamon) and are thinking of doing it on our own(taxi/bus - ferry- taxi); about how much time does it take for transportation and how much beach time?

I have also seen listed that there is ferry service from nearer the cruise terminal; Charlotte Amalie → Cruz Bay → Charlotte Amalie ($24 round trip and 45 minute transit each way) and wanted to hear if any one has done this and what comments/tips do you have.

As a back up plan we may just stay in St. Thomas and go to Magen's Bay leaving St. John for another day

Thank you in advance.

Fair winds and Following seas

31282-profile.png

• 2 weeks later...

This is info I researched from several years ago. Costs have probably increased.

Costs to St. John:

Taxi to/from Red Hook $20.00

Ferry -- $14 round trip

Taxi to Trunk Bay round trip $12.00

Entry fee $5.00

Total $51.00/pp

If your ship is docked at Havensight, the taxi ride is 15 - 20 minutes depending on traffic. The ferry ride is approximately 30 minutes and another 15 minutes from dock to Trunk Bay.

Total cost approximately $50.00/pp + 1.5 hours each way w/o traffic.