October 29 TA from NYC to SOU - full ??

old fool

Just curious but it looks as if the October 29 TA is full or close to it. Anyone have ideas on why that might be the case. 9 months in advance is not the normal "fill" date for a TA. Anything special going on with that voyage?

Most likely that Cunard are only releasing a few cabins at a time which they often do. Unlikely that they will be full already and there are cabins shown on the UK site so I wouldn't worry.

Just curious but it looks as if the October 29 TA is full or close to it. Anyone have ideas on why that might be the case. 9 months in advance is not the normal "fill" date for a TA. Anything special going on with that voyage?

You and Cunard are both playing the same game. Cunard is limiting how many staterooms are shown so it can get as many bookings as possible at full whack. And you are looking at how many staterooms are shown so you can calculate how soon promotional deals might come out.

Edited by BlueRiband

Strangely the crossing went off line for a couple of weeks..now its back on the website and there are plenty of cabins for sale...And the New York port website shows this as one of the now rare Manhattan cruise terminal sailings!! I want to sail down the Hudson from midtown...not Brooklyn..if so Im booking this one

I haven't run the numbers out, but somewhere in October the QM2 would make her 250th crossing. Maybe there will be another celebration tied in with that.

In late November, Queen Mary 2 sets sail on her 250th Transatlantic Crossing. In 1840 our ship Britannia crossed the Atlantic for the first time. 175 years later we are proud to still offer the only scheduled service of Transatlantic Crossings.

25th November. 8 nights. M528N.

Strangely the crossing went off line for a couple of weeks..now its back on the website and there are plenty of cabins for sale...And the New York port website shows this as one of the now rare Manhattan cruise terminal sailings!! I want to sail down the Hudson from midtown...not Brooklyn..if so Im booking this one

If you are right and the QM2 is sailing from Manhattan that would be FANTASTIC. Is the NYC port website usually correct or just their guess this far out? Three years ago the Queen sailed from Manhattan because the Brooklyn terminal had been flooded by Sandy -- the trip down the Hudson in the mist and rain with the lights of the city was magical -- not to mention not having to schlep ourselves over to the boondocks -- er, I mean Red Hook.

Yes, I see availability for the 29th but at an increased cost in most staterooms. (We are booked for the voyage, but just wondering what might be going on that would take the trip off line, then full, then higher cost, etc.)

QM2 celebrated her 200th crossing in 2013, her 10th anniversary in2014, and fleet wide there is the 175th anniversary. They'll probably wait for her 300th, although the 200th celetration was probably prompted by the need to get updated images of lower Manhattan now that the new World Trade Center spire was completed.

Cunard's POLAR booking engine uses algorithms to adjust prices for demand - a fancy way of saying it's the old law of supply and demand. I'm pretty sure it does this for each category. Last October a 12-day NY-Canada-NY sailing had prices all over the map. At one point a P1 cost more than a Q5 :confused: and the lowest grade inside more than a balcony:eek:. If passengers are preferentially choosing that sailing due to the Manhattan berth that would explain the higher price per cabin. (Pst! Cunard? Want to increase your revenue per stateroom? Here's a suggestion..:D )

In general, QM2 is assigned the Redhook berth unless it is unavailable. Last September Redhook was assigned to Royal Princess because she carries about 1000 more passengers than QM2. (Saw her come in - floating condo.) Yes there is something special about her coming into Manhattan. I was very fortunate to capture her arrival with unbelievably good timing - first light was beginning to illuminate her starboard side.

Well looking at the New York Cruise port website QM2 may dock at the west side piers up to 5 times this year!..May10 , Oct 11, Oct 29 Nov 25 and the add-on Carribbean cruise...they do have the Oct 11 crossing as TBD as a Princess ship is also in port and listed as TBD...I hope the May 10 stay as a Hudson sailaway as Im looking at that crossing and Oct 29