Norwegian Krone

zales

Not without a bit more information. If you want to bring back a small troll, about 100 kroner will do. If you want to bring back top quality hand-knitted sweaters for a large family, then 20,000-30,000. If you're inclined towards the top end, I'd suggest a credit card - most places will take them. Norway tends towards the expensive side, especially as their currency gets stronger and stronger.

Thank You dsrdsrdsr interesting name if you don't mind me asking the significance.:)

Nothing high end at all, just little unique trinkets, magnets, a t shirt, cup, plate, bell, teddy bear, toy car, little things:cool:

Can anyone tell me the suggested amount to take on a 10 night cruise for souvenirs only :rolleyes:

WOW!! Your request is really, really hard. Almost impossible!! Sorry. Without knowing something about how many different people you are buying for, their ages, interests, style, quality you seek/can afford, etc., it is very hard for us to be such mind readers in doing this type of guessing. Prices are generally higher in Norway. We found Bergen and its market area to be one of the better places to shop. Scarfs, hats, etc. Below are a few of my visuals samples, ideas, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 98,061 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Where do you shop in Norway? Here are a couple of examples in Bergen if looking for woolen items in the charming area right near the Fish Market. As you can tell by the friendly smiles, both my wife and Sharon were enjoying themselves. :

BergenBuyingPenny.jpg

BergenSharonHatTesting.jpg

In the Bergen market area, here’s another of the sales tent offerings for local woolen products.

BergenWoolenStore.jpg

Thank You Terry.:)

Terry can you please tell me if you would suggest cruise tours or independent? Flam railway when booked in advance does not seem to be as detailed as the cruise tour, and any insight on Greianger and the tours you did on your itinerary; independent or ship;)

Thank You Terry. Terry can you please tell me if you would suggest cruise tours or independent? Flam railway when booked in advance does not seem to be as detailed as the cruise tour, and any insight on Greianger and the tours you did on your itinerary; independent or ship.

Good question where the "right" answer varies so much depending on the exact port and what you seek/like to do. As detailed on my live/blog below, we did a mix of independent/DIY car adventure, plus also a certain number of ship tours, etc.

WHY? Many of these ports are small and the options available and possible can be somewhat limited and/or hard to set-up independent of the ship. It's not like as happens in many ports in the Carib or some in Med where the tourism infrastructure is big and more varied in the local offerings and providers.

For Greianger, we went "up country" on a ship's tour that gave us a chance to sample of a wider range of Norway, its sights and nature beyond what is just in the fjord port town at water level. Below you can see some visuals for what we did and saw on that tour. We did an eight-hour “Overland from Hellesylt to Geiranger” bus tour through the ship and stopped at the Jostedalsbreen National Park. This park has the largest glacier on the European mainland and covers 510 sq. miles with the glaciers covering about 310 sq. miles. The main visitor's "centre" building was constructed in a manner similar to Viking longhouses where pillars rather than the walls are supporting the roof. This Centre in Oppstryn shows how the glacier and the landscape were shaped by water and ice through films, videos, computer programs and models. Its website for more information is:

http://www.jostedalsbre.no/engelsk/senter.htm

What other ports are you visiting? What types of experiences are you seeking? What else do you need on Flam? Other questions?

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 98,061 views.

Here a view from being in Jostedalsbreen National Park along Lake Strynsvatn. This shows cloud-covered mountains and and a church tower in the nearby village of Oppstryn.:

Fjord2ndLakeMtnChurchGrass.jpg

At the Videseter Hotel where we had lunch on the way to Geiranger, we saw a spectacular waterfall and then a cute sheep (up close and personal) at this scenic high mountain elevation location.:

FjordsHotelWaterfall.jpg

FjordSheepFace.jpg

Next to the Videseter Hotel on our way to Geiranger when going “up country”, we saw this spectacular waterfall at this scenic high mountain elevation location. You can see how small is the hotel/dining building at the top to the right of waterfall to give an idea on the massive scale for this natural wonder. When you go beyond just the port stop village, you can better experience “ALL” that is there and around in these scenic parts of Norway.:

Fjord2WaterfallTallHotelNear.jpg

As we were driving to Geiranger, this was an example of a valley, farm area, nearby mountains, etc., view.:

Fjord2FarmValleyGreen.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, this was the fuller, joint view as we sailed out and passed by these two super famous waterfalls. On the left is the “Seven Sisters”. And, directly opposite in this narrow fjord, this single waterfall is called several names, including “The Suitor”.:

Fjords2TwoSistersFacingEachOther.jpg

I have been researching and obsessing over this Norweigan itinerary since last year, and have really gotten nowhere. I think I will just stick with the ship tour and leave it at that, but I Thank You very much Terry, you are a wealth of information, and your pictures are indescribable.:cool:

I have been researching and obsessing over this Norweigan itinerary since last year, and have really gotten nowhere. I think I will just stick with the ship tour and leave it at that, but I Thank You very much Terry, you are a wealth of information, and your pictures are indescribable.:cool:

Understand those frustrations and challenges. Ship tours are not always perfect, BUT, they get the job done, take you where you need to go, etc. Relax and make it work. What ports are you visiting?

THANKS for the nice comments on the pictures! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

If you haven't already seen it, my review of my Fjords cruise last year may be useful (I tried to include a variety of practical information, including costs of some items I bought). We went to Geiranger, Alesund, Molde and Bergen from Amsterdam.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1653948

Nothing high end at all, just little unique trinkets, magnets, a t shirt, cup, plate, bell, teddy bear, toy car, little things:cool:

My best approximations from what I can recall in various tourist shops I've been in over the years:

magnets -- 25-50 NOK

t shirt -- 100-200 NOK

cup, plate -- no idea (Unless you want some from IKEA! Then I can tell you exactly! ;) )

bell -- 75-100 NOK

teddy bear -- 100 NOK

toy car -- 50-100 NOK

A few more that weren't on your list:

postcard -- 5-20 NOK

stamp to Europe -- 13 NOK

stamp outside Europe -- 15 NOK

Thank You dsrdsrdsr interesting name if you don't mind me asking the significance.:)

Initials, repeated since the site doesn't allow 3-letter login names.

Even trinkets can be expensive, but the troll example I mentioned would probably cost about 100 kroner, and in Bergen at least the fish market, on the quay in the city centre, has numerous other stalls with souvenir-type objects - including knitted hats with earflaps, only of use if you live in a cold climate.

May I jump onto this thread in the hope that I will catch Terry from Ohio and the Cotswold Eagle too. I have read and enjoyed both of your reviews, both absolutely amazing and great photos too, thanks for all your efforts which are very much appreciated.

We will be cruising the fjords for the first time at the end of May and, having done my homework borrowing some of your review info, we plan the following at each port -

Stavanger - a wander around the town as well as a boat trip up Lysefjord and Pulpit Rock.

Flam - the railway

Alesund - the town train

Trondheim - a wander around the town under our own steam again.

Honningsvaag - ship's tour to a fishing village.

Tromso - Polaria, Polar Museum and the Arctic Cathedral (although it won't be open until late afternoon so we may not have time to go there).

Geiranger - the public bus to Mt Dalsnibba

All of these, other than Honningsvaag, we plan to do on our own and would appreciate any tips, advice or comments you guys would like to make.

Understand those frustrations and challenges. Ship tours are not always perfect, BUT, they get the job done, take you where you need to go, etc. Relax and make it work. What ports are you visiting?

THANKS for the nice comments on the pictures! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Thanx Terry, I am following your advice and taking several breaths right now as I type:p The port stops are Flam, Geiranger, Alesund, Oslo, Bergen, Stavanger, and Olden. In Flam some people on cruise critic are doing Flam to Myrdal and then a boat bus tour to Gudvangen, but I think I want to stick with the ship and do Flam to Myrdal to Voss and then the bus to Flam;as for Stavanger I would love to do Pulpit Rock but I would have to find a tour company because I just read somewhere that ships don't tour there:( for Olden I think both Briksdale and Kjennendal glacier I know a bit overkill:rolleyes: in Alesund something about the troll path and I am still looking into the rest. Sorry I wrote so much:o

If you haven't already seen it, my review of my Fjords cruise last year may be useful (I tried to include a variety of practical information, including costs of some items I bought). We went to Geiranger, Alesund, Molde and Bergen from Amsterdam.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1653948

Thank You Cotswold Eagle, yes I did read your review, I thought it was impressive and I was overjoyed after being so distressed when your itinerary changed, I thought it was so unfair, and then all the divorces you caused:p that was so funny. I also took note of the cost of items. Thanx again;)

My best approximations from what I can recall in various tourist shops I've been in over the years:

magnets -- 25-50 NOK

t shirt -- 100-200 NOK

cup, plate -- no idea (Unless you want some from IKEA! Then I can tell you exactly! ;) )

bell -- 75-100 NOK

teddy bear -- 100 NOK

toy car -- 50-100 NOK

A few more that weren't on your list:

postcard -- 5-20 NOK

stamp to Europe -- 13 NOK

stamp outside Europe -- 15 NOK

Wow $18:D (100 NOK) seems to be the going rate for a souvenir. Guess I will be shopping for me, and postcards for everyone else:p Thanx this helps because I was going to walk with 500 NOK but I think I will increase it to 1000 NOK:rolleyes:

Initials, repeated since the site doesn't allow 3-letter login names.

Even trinkets can be expensive, but the troll example I mentioned would probably cost about 100 kroner, and in Bergen at least the fish market, on the quay in the city centre, has numerous other stalls with souvenir-type objects - including knitted hats with earflaps, only of use if you live in a cold climate.

Thank You dsrdsrdsr. As I was typing your name I was saying how am I going to remember all these letter without botching your name until I realized the pattern:D Cool very cool, also I did not realize about the initials, very interesting;) I looked up trolls yesterday, and I would have to search for a cute one because...:o After reading kaisatu post I realize the expense:mad: and had to increase my budget:eek:

So if I want a cup of coffee and a pastry at a cafe in Oslo what can I expect to spend in NOK?

20-30 for normal black coffee, unless you go to a famous coffee shop like Tim Wendelboe, where it will be more like 35.

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/20/ristretto-coffee-in-oslo/#more-189913

If you want a latte or a cappuccino, that will typically run 30-42 NOK. If I buy a cappuccino at the cafe on my way to work, it's 39 NOK.

A pastry will vary depending on the type, but 50-60 NOK is probably a good idea for budgeting. The cheapest option is the traditional "bolle" (a Norwegian staple: a slightly sweet bun flavored with cardamom that may include raisins or chocolate bits). You can usually pick these up at a convenience store for around 5 NOK each, and in the morning they're usually fairly fresh. If you're really trying to save money, a coffee-and-bolle combination deal at a corner shop is usually around 20 NOK. You can also find pastries at the grocery for a much lower price.

Note that many counter-service coffee shops (or fast-food restaurants for that matter) will list two prices. The lower price is the take-away price, and the higher price is if you eat there.

Edited by kaisatsu

May I jump onto this thread in the hope that I will catch Terry from Ohio and the Cotswold Eagle too. I have read and enjoyed both of your reviews, both absolutely amazing and great photos too, thanks for all your efforts which are very much appreciated.

We will be cruising the fjords for the first time at the end of May and, having done my homework borrowing some of your review info, we plan the following at each port -

Stavanger - a wander around the town as well as a boat trip up Lysefjord and Pulpit Rock.

Flam - the railway

Alesund - the town train

Trondheim - a wander around the town under our own steam again.

Honningsvaag - ship's tour to a fishing village.

Tromso - Polaria, Polar Museum and the Arctic Cathedral (although it won't be open until late afternoon so we may not have time to go there).

Geiranger - the public bus to Mt Dalsnibba

All of these, other than Honningsvaag, we plan to do on our own and would appreciate any tips, advice or comments you guys would like to make.

Appreciate the nice comments and good follow-up questions from our UK friend. Glad you have jumped into this thread. Have not been to Stavanger, but can offer some thoughts on the other locations.

For Alesund, make sure you get to the top of the key overview points to experience the great views in the area. See below. Trondheim could involve or need some "logistical help" to get from where the ship docks to the central/main business area, its historic cathedral, etc. There is a free shuttle bus for getting around within that area. Tromso could also need a little logistical connection, especially if you want to do the Arctic Cathedral and tram to the top of the scenic mountain overview.

Doing "on your own" is nice, BUT, you don't want to lock in or limit things too much that you miss some key highlights in certain cities and ports. Keep those good questions rolling along. Happy to share more.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 98,322 views.

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

Thanx Terry, I am following your advice and taking several breaths right now as I type:p The port stops are Flam, Geiranger, Alesund, Oslo, Bergen, Stavanger, and Olden. In Flam some people on cruise critic are doing Flam to Myrdal and then a boat bus tour to Gudvangen, but I think I want to stick with the ship and do Flam to Myrdal to Voss and then the bus to Flam;as for Stavanger I would love to do Pulpit Rock but I would have to find a tour company because I just read somewhere that ships don't tour there:( for Olden I think both Briksdale and Kjennendal glacier I know a bit overkill:rolleyes: in Alesund something about the troll path and I am still looking into the rest. Sorry I wrote so much:o

Have not been to Olden. Can't share anything for there. Keep planning and thinking. Lots of options to consider. Can't do it "ALL". Have to figure out the "flow" that works best for your interests and budget.

On our cruise, we were at Flam in the morning, then sailed to Gudvangen. That allowed doing independent travels from that port to the famed waterfall, hotel overview site, etc.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 98,461 views.

Thank you so much for your advice Terry, you're a diamond!! :)

Appreciate your nice comments. I have been called LOTS of different names in the past, including by my wife. Both good and bad terms. BUT, however, now a "diamond"?? I think that is good. Glad to get that kind of positive feed-back. Let us know any added questions, interests.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 98,461 views.

20-30 for normal black coffee, unless you go to a famous coffee shop like Tim Wendelboe, where it will be more like 35.

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/20/ristretto-coffee-in-oslo/#more-189913

If you want a latte or a cappuccino, that will typically run 30-42 NOK. If I buy a cappuccino at the cafe on my way to work, it's 39 NOK.

A pastry will vary depending on the type, but 50-60 NOK is probably a good idea for budgeting. The cheapest option is the traditional "bolle" (a Norwegian staple: a slightly sweet bun flavored with cardamom that may include raisins or chocolate bits). You can usually pick these up at a convenience store for around 5 NOK each, and in the morning they're usually fairly fresh. If you're really trying to save money, a coffee-and-bolle combination deal at a corner shop is usually around 20 NOK. You can also find pastries at the grocery for a much lower price.

Note that many counter-service coffee shops (or fast-food restaurants for that matter) will list two prices. The lower price is the take-away price, and the higher price is if you eat there.

Great --just what I needed to know. Thanks. Is there a good coffee place near the Viking museum area?

Edited by Alaskanb

Great --just what I needed to know. Thanks. Is there a good coffee place near the Viking museum area?

There's not a lot in that area, because it's mostly residential. There's a simple cafe at the entrance to the Folk Museum around the corner from the Viking ships. It's not terribly exciting, but it's fine for a cup of coffee. There's also a cafe Hemma Hos just off the main road a block south, but I've heard it's expensive (by Norwegian standards).

If you want to go before or after visiting Bygdøy, there are more options near the pier. People & Coffee is a few blocks from the city hall (Rådhusgata 21) and gets good reviews for more than just the free WiFi. Fragrance of the Heart is a cosy little cafe behind the city hall. And in the Aker Brygge waterfront area you can find the local chain Kaffebrenneriet. (Until a few years ago, there were no Starbucks in Oslo. Now there's one. In the airport.)