St pertersburg

humpy

Hi folkes,we have booked to go on Arcadia to the baltics on may16,we have 2tours booked when there one on each day,is it possible when the tours are over to get of the ship and walk around the area or are you restricted to the ship,many thanks in advance,humpy.

I believe independent travel around St Petersburg is not recommended unless you are conversant in russian. Plus you need a visa and the ship docks at the cruise terminal which is miles from anywhere except lots and lots of soviet era flats.

There is a shop on the quayside which you can visit and buy the usual things i.e. alcohol, cigarettes, chocolates and gifts at your leisure but that is about it to get past customs you need a visa or tour booked.

There is a shop on the quayside which you can visit and buy the usual things i.e. alcohol, cigarettes, chocolates and gifts at your leisure but that is about it to get past customs you need a visa or tour booked.

Do they take a range of currencies at that shop?

St Petersburg is an amazing city. And worth splashing the cash to see as much as you can. We were there on Artemis a few years back and on day 1 did three tours and on day 2 did two tours. Make the most of it.

If we had known we would have gone on a smaller ship which usually moor in the river close to the Hermitage. The bigger ships are miles away and it is close to a 30 minute drive to get into the city. Artemis counted as a big ship!!

In the evening there are usually 3 options. Ballet (invariably it is Swan Lake), a Folk show (brilliant) or an evening visit to the Hermitage. Well we did the folkshow - I have seen Swan Lake many times and am not a museum arty chap so the choice was easy. But good reports came back from people who went to them all.

Anyway I am rambling - if there is one port where it is worth splashing the cash it is St Petersburg.

BTW there are companies who will organise your 2 days for you and arrange everything - and again people who use them have nothing but praise and they are always a LOT cheaper than the ship excursions.

Whatever - have a good time.

Edited by simonpjd

I believe you have to have a visa to wander independently in St Petersburg. If you are on a ships tour the group visa covers you.

I can recommend the "St. Petersburg Explorer" tour. It's inexpensive and you get hours to wander independently whilst being covered by the group visa.

I believe independent travel around St Petersburg is not recommended unless you are conversant in russian.

Everyone we met was pleasant and helpful. We certainly don't speak Russian but managed OK.

If we had known we would have gone on a smaller ship which usually moor in the river close to the Hermitage. The bigger ships are miles away and it is close to a 30 minute drive to get into the city.

We were on the Adonia last October and were expecting to be moored in the river as I believe was the case with Adonia cruises earlier in the season. Unfortunately this wasn't the case and we docked at the new cruise terminal miles away.