Nafplio Port

Two from Virginia

We did a DIY at Nafplio. We tendered off and headed towards the right along the seawall to the Arvanitia Promenade. It was a gorgeous 20 minute walk to the foot of the Palamidi Castle steps.

http://www.tigtn.com/arvanitia.html

We climbed the 999 steps in about 40 minutes and spent 90 minutes exploring the site. The views up top were spectacular. It only took 35 minutes to come down and we explored "Old Town" and had a wonderful lunch at a sidewalk cafe.

At the tender drop-off there were lots of cabs/guides and HOHO offering tours at a fraction of the ship's prices.

Nafplio was a pleasant surprise and one of the highlights of our cruise.

It is one our favorite ports. The two times we were there we walked up the steps to the castle , wandered around the town and had a lovely lunch. It is a small town and as big ships don't usually go there it is rarely overrun with tourists.

Thanks all. Looks like we will do the DIY

I strongly suggest the Arvanitia Promenade walk and climb to Palamidi Castle. It looks daunting but just take your time. I'm 40 (okay 50) pounds overweight and did it. When you get to the top, rest and bask in the wonderful view. It cost $6-8eu (I asked) for a cab back to the bottom if you don't want to walk down.

Edited by lamchops

Nafplion is also a gateway for tours to the ancient citadel of Mycenae and the famous ancient healing center and extremely well preserved theatre at Epidavros. Either one can be done as a half-day tour or put both together for a full day. They are very beautiful sites with significant history (especially Mycenae, home to semi-mythical King Agamemnon of Trojan War fame).

• 2 months later...
Nafplion is also a gateway for tours to the ancient citadel of Mycenae and the famous ancient healing center and extremely well preserved theatre at Epidavros. Either one can be done as a half-day tour or put both together for a full day. They are very beautiful sites with significant history (especially Mycenae, home to semi-mythical King Agamemnon of Trojan War fame).

We really want to see Corinth when our cruise stops in Nafplion. Do you know any tour guides that we could contact?

We really want to see Corinth when our cruise stops in Nafplion. Do you know any tour guides that we could contact?

Corinth is another good option.

Do you want a tour guide or do you want a driver who will provide you with some information (but not tour the site with you)? I know a great guy for the latter, but not the former.

Corinth is another good option.

Do you want a tour guide or do you want a driver who will provide you with some information (but not tour the site with you)? I know a great guy for the latter, but not the former.

Thanks for the quick reply. I would love for you to share the name of a good driver.

Thanks for the quick reply. I would love for you to share the name of a good driver.

I have used Jordan for three different tours around Athens and the Peloponnese over several years of visits to the area. He is a real treasure -- very knowledgeable and a good story teller about Greek history and mythology. He has taken me to Corinth, Mycenae, Epidauros, Eleusis, Marathon, and some lesser known sites.

http://www.athens-tours.gr/

He has also been extremely reliable -- helping us out on one occasion when just about all Greece was on strike, and on another trip arranged to get us to the airport with a 3:00 am pickup at the port.

I highly recommend him (and I don't say that about just any driver)!

I have used Jordan for three different tours around Athens and the Peloponnese over several years of visits to the area. He is a real treasure -- very knowledgeable and a good story teller about Greek history and mythology. He has taken me to Corinth, Mycenae, Epidauros, Eleusis, Marathon, and some lesser known sites.

http://www.athens-tours.gr/

He has also been extremely reliable -- helping us out on one occasion when just about all Greece was on strike, and on another trip arranged to get us to the airport with a 3:00 am pickup at the port.

I highly recommend him (and I don't say that about just any driver)!

Thank you so much for the info.

To drive in Greece, an International Driving Permit is required. I had to cancel my reservation in March when I procrastinated and forgot to get one. I actually went to get one but was talked into coming back closer to the date as the wait was 15 minutes. They are available at AAA and good for a year.

We have rented cars in Europe every year for the past 10 years. Last year in Greece we did 5 rentals on the mainland and on various islands.

Although I have an international driving lic. (it is really more of a translation document than a lic.), I have never, ever been asked for it when renting a car-on any continent. There is always a first time though and I have it in case I get stopped by the police. Which happened once in Turkey but the officer did not bother with it.

My current one is a few years old. Unlike the last few, it does not have an expirey date. Got it at the auto club office.

Edited by iancal