Amalfi coast from Sorrento

1drifter

I am trying to plan our day on the Amalfi Coast in May from the port of Sorrento. We will probably want to go to Positano, Amalfi & Ravello. My question is, are there tours or taxi/guides available at the port as there are in many other cities, or should I make advanced reservations with one of the guides recommended on CC. ( AP, Romeinlimo, Aldo or Joe Banana.)

You can't expect to find "tours" at the port as you might in a Caribbean port, but there will be taxis. Naples has a fixed fare system and the fare for an unlimited (one day) tour of the Amalfi Coast is €220 Euro. However, this will be a driver only and, more likely than not, he/she will speak only minimal English. If you want more conversation or commentary you have to pay more for one of the car services.

Edited by euro cruiser

You mention the "Port of Sorrento" which is a tender port lacking some of the info structure found in Naples. In Sorrento there will be some taxis looking for customers, but once they are gone you would be pretty much out of luck. If you want to hire a car/driver you should arrange this (online) before you get to the port. There is a regional SITA bus that runs between Sorrento and Amalfi, but it is first come first seat which means many can end up standing or not even get on the bus of choice. To get to Ravello on a bus you would have to first take the SITA bus to Amalfi and then wait for the local bus (runs about once every 45 min) that goes between Amalfi and Ravello. Euro (love to speak for that expert) and I do not normally recommend using SITA buses for such a port day unless you are very familiar with Italy and their systems.

The only other decent option would be to rent a car and drive yourself, and we do not normally suggest this for those not familiar with the region and the parking difficulties.

Hank

It sounds like hiring a service before we leave is the way to go!

Yes. I went to Positano, Amalfi & Ravello from Naples with Joe Banana and had a wonderful day. There are videos of each of these in the Italy playlist in my 'signature' below. All the best, Tony

Edited by Cornishpastyman1

You mention the "Port of Sorrento" which is a tender port lacking some of the info structure found in Naples. In Sorrento there will be some taxis looking for customers, but once they are gone you would be pretty much out of luck. If you want to hire a car/driver you should arrange this (online) before you get to the port. There is a regional SITA bus that runs between Sorrento and Amalfi, but it is first come first seat which means many can end up standing or not even get on the bus of choice. To get to Ravello on a bus you would have to first take the SITA bus to Amalfi and then wait for the local bus (runs about once every 45 min) that goes between Amalfi and Ravello. Euro (love to speak for that expert) and I do not normally recommend using SITA buses for such a port day unless you are very familiar with Italy and their systems.

The only other decent option would be to rent a car and drive yourself, and we do not normally suggest this for those not familiar with the region and the parking difficulties.

Hank

We did the SITI Bus to Amalfi (and got a seat) and then returned via ferry with a stop and lunch in Positano.