Invergordon Question

lucyd

My friend and I will be in Invergordon Mid August 2013. It will be her 76th birthday and I would like to plan a lovely day for her.

We could go into Inverness as I am certain there are wonderful resturants and shops - however a nice walk and lunch in Inverness would be nice also.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you

My friend and I will be in Invergordon Mid August 2013. It will be her 76th birthday and I would like to plan a lovely day for her.

We could go into Inverness as I am certain there are wonderful resturants and shops - however a nice walk and lunch in Inverness would be nice also.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you

First of all, Invergordon is a delightful stop on any cruise and is a pleasant place to visit. When we were last there we took a pre-booked tour from the cruise line to one of the best known distilleries.

Your friend may not be interested and it must be booked in advance, as a bus is needed for about a 20 minute ride. As a matter of fact, there is very little to see or walk to near the pier. I recall that some of the locals had tables set up and were selling local hand crafts. I thought that local buses could be ordered there - it's about 10 or 15 minutes into the small town.

Invergordon was very quaint, but Inverness was beautiful. What was even more of a surprise was how gorgeous the ride throught the countryside out to Inverness was. Seeing rolling hills of green and yellow, streams, and cows was half the fun. You really felt like you were in Scotland.

Inverness has a beautiful river and lots of walkable shops. Is there an "Inverness On Your Own" type of bus package you could get? I'm not sure if you're going on a cruise or if this is a land-based trip.

Hello and welcome to the highlands

There are quite a few local operators who can recommend somewhere special to visit.

There's a lovely castle at Cawdor with beautiful gardens to stroll in and the Cawdor tavern nearby does a super lunch

You could also lunch a boath house

Or have a walk at the seaside in Nairn

Inverness has a lovely walk up the river and through the islands

I would have a look at inverness taxi tours

Scenic-routes luxury tours

Jim Johnstone chauffeur

They're all local companies and can all be prebooked

You could get dropped off with time for a look around invergordon and the local shops etc there.

Also I believe that a pub there has reopened and is doing great food will check out!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

I live in Inverness and think you and your friend would have a lovely time if you took the bus or train from Invergordon into the city centre (the journey takes about 40 minutes), then went for a nice lunch down at the river (there are a number of restaurants on the waterfront which do great deals on lunch – if it is at a weekend I would recommend booking in advance to ensure that you get a nice table). You could then walk along the river and round the islands back into the centre (about a half hour walk) and stroll to the shops.

This option will involve a bit of walking, but there is not really too much to see and do in Invergordon so it is probably a better option than staying in port.

The alternative, to get a real taste of the history and scenery of the Highlands, would be to go on a tour from the port – I would suggest having a look at the top-rated Inverness tour companies on Trip Advisor (Inverness is where most of the local tour companies are based – the ones in Invergordon work only with cruise ships). They get fantastic reviews and I am sure they would do something special for your friend if you asked them when booking. They will take you to the famous sights including Loch Ness and Cawdor Castle, but you will also get some time in Inverness too, for shopping or a birthday drink.

Hope this helps, and enjoy Scotland!

• 1 year later...

We are on the Celebrity Infinity and visiting Inverness on Sept. 6, or so we thought. In our roll call it was mentioned that we will dock at Invergordon. Do all the cruise ships dock at Invergordon? I have a private tour out of Inverness so I guess I will have to contact my tour operator with the change.

Thanks in advance!

I visited here this past July and loved the area. I will mention one gem I found in Invergorden and that was Tain Silver. My daughter and I happened on it and fell in love with the jewelry. The silversmith was on hand to tell us about his designs. The jewelry is made here and sold in only two stores in Scotland. There were many lovely and unique pieces that I felt were reasonably priced. It is located on the Main Street.

We are on the Celebrity Infinity and visiting Inverness on Sept. 6, or so we thought. In our roll call it was mentioned that we will dock at Invergordon. Do all the cruise ships dock at Invergordon? I have a private tour out of Inverness so I guess I will have to contact my tour operator with the change.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, Invergorden is the port that services Inverness. The port is about a 20-30 minutes drive away from town, with little public transport. I would have your your operator pick you up at the port.

This is a wonderful area of Scotland, we loved it. We left our cruise in Invergordon and had a private driver take us to the Highlands, the Wick area where we visited Sinclair Castle and the Queen Mums home, drove back to Inverness via back roads where we viewed herds of cattle and sheep roaming freely, had some amazing cliff views and one of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen. We then spent the might at a charming inn in Inverness and had a fantastic dinner at a Gordon Ramsey restaurant. The next day we took a cruise on Loch Ness before taking the train to Edinburgh where we spent another four days in delightful Scotland.

Thanks in advance!

I was there in July. There is a bus, 25 or 25x, that stops one block away from the dock and goes to Inverness. I took it to the Inverness bus station, where my tour started from.

Before getting there, I was worried about finding the bus. It was not a problem. There was a guy giving info at the end of the dock who pointed out where it stopped. You can see it from the dock. So the problem wasn't finding it - it was boarding it. It felt like half the people on our cruise ship were taking the bus. They had to call an extra bus to take everyone.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I contacted our tour guide and he said that all cruise ships dock in Invergordon so it isn't a problem. Just hoping for nice weather as it seems Aug. has seen a lot of rain!

It's rained every day of August so far! But then people don't come to Scotland for the weather ;)

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Invergordon recently on the Ruby Princess. We used a wonderful tour company WOW SCOTLAND. Gordon and Kay (the owners) are amazing and provide a wonderful tour. We were a group of six adults and toured with KEN for a wonderful and memorable day. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this company.