Suggestion for Boston between ship docking and flight?

kimkencruzers

Hello! I have been to Boston a few times and have done the trail, duck tour, parks, hall, North End, paul reveres house, pastries, etc. My ship, NCL Dawn says it docks at 8 a.m. on Friday, October 10th at the conclusion of my cruise. My flight on Delta leaves at 12:15 pm. We each have a carry-on.

Should we just leisurely wait on the ship then take a cab to airport, or should we go to the North End and walk around or something? Is there something else we haven't done or is nice to do in the morning?

Is there time to do anything by the time I self debark and before I need to get to the airport?

I read somewhere about a water taxi luggage storage? How would I first get to the water taxi in the first place?

Thanks for any information and suggestions!

on paper it does look like you can get to the North End and then to Logan for your flight. Traffic is very congested during morning rush hour, so there is a good chance it would take longer than expected to get from the ship to the North End, even though it's not very far away. It's pretty quick from the NE to Logan, so if you don't mind taking your chances, don't let us dissuade you...I'd just feel really annoyed being stuck with so many commuters going to work in Boston just for a nice pastry and coffee before the flight. We were able to disembark at 9am, which made for a more relaxed early morning. good luck!

I'm on the same cruise and also use just carry-on luggage, so I'll have no delays looking through oodles of suitcases after disembarkation. My flight leaves Logan at 12:50.

Having never flown in or out of BOS before, does anyone know if there are interesting displays in the airport? ORD has dinosaurs, DEN has historical displays and a memorial to one of the 9-11 pilots, Vancouver has fascinating exhibits, etc. How could I do some "touring" while waiting for my flight?

There's a peculiar walkway from the central garage that plays bird noises -- spooky in the middle of the night when you're the only one around! I wouldn't go looking for it, though.

I agree that you should go straight there, though -- lots of things could cause traffic on a Friday morning between 9 and 11.

How much time should be allowed to view the 9-11 Memorial? Wondering if I got off the ship quickly, if I would have enough time before my 12:50 flight to pay a visit and my respects.

The one in Boston at the airport? 15 minutes should cover it, plus time getting there and back.

Edited by Nitemare

Yes, the one at the airport. From a massport brochure on the location of the memorial, it looks like I might have to go through it before going through security. Is this the case?

[Thinking 'out loud' here...] Fifteen minutes to go through it seems fast--I have a personal connection to Ground Zero. But let's just say 15 minutes for visiting the memorial, then roughly how much time to allow for going to and from it after flight check-in, then to go through security and find my gate?

Thanks for your help. I've never been to Logan before. :)

The ship is supposed to dock at 8 am.

O

Yes, the one at the airport. From a massport brochure on the location of the memorial, it looks like I might have to go through it before going through security. Is this the case?

[Thinking 'out loud' here...] Fifteen minutes to go through it seems fast--I have a personal connection to Ground Zero. But let's just say 15 minutes for visiting the memorial, then roughly how much time to allow for going to and from it after flight check-in, then to go through security and find my gate?

Thanks for your help. I've never been to Logan before. :)

The ship is supposed to dock at 8 am.

The memorial is outside security, near the Hilton. If you have the cab drop you off there, it's an easy walk to get to Terminal A -- you'll see an enclosed pedestrian bridge that crosses part of the memorial. Walk to the Central Parking garage and take the elevator to Level 4, and take the pedestrian bridge to Terminal A.

If you take the water taxi, take the 66 shuttle bus from the dock to Terminal A. The shuttle will drop you near the West end of the terminal. Go to the second floor and head as far West as you can go to get to the pedestrian bridge to Central Parking. The memorial is between the garage and the Hilton.

Anyone know how easy is the Silver Line from the port to the airport?

It requires one transfer from SL2 Inbound to SL1 Outbound. If you go to the World Trade Center stop you can transfer for free. Other than that it's pretty easy, and the buses have racks for your luggage. The bus will drop you off at the airport in front of each the terminal on the lower arrivals level, so you'll need to take your luggage up the escalator/elevator to check in.

The Silver Line stops right outside Black Falcon Terminal on Black Falcon Avenue. It is an articulated bus with one low step. With luggage it's easiest to get on at the rear door - one person can load luggage and the other one can pay. With luggage there is just more room if you get on at the rear door. Black Falcon is the end of the line and the bus is usually empty - arriving cruisers aren't lined up to use this service, at least they weren't the day I rode down there in the middle of a Carnival ship arrival.

You take the Silver Line to World Trade Center where you can use the escalator or elevator to go to the Mezzanine level to cross over to the other tracks, taking the escalator or elevator down. You take the SL1 bus to the airport and it stops at each terminal. The SL1 buses have luggage racks.

You will pass the Silver Line Way stop twice. Since this is an outdoor stop, I don't think you can transfer here the first time you pass it without paying a second fare.

It requires one transfer from SL2 Inbound to SL1 Outbound. If you go to the World Trade Center stop you can transfer for free. Other than that it's pretty easy, and the buses have racks for your luggage. The bus will drop you off at the airport in front of each the terminal on the lower arrivals level, so you'll need to take your luggage up the escalator/elevator to check in.

Thanks! I'm not used to public transportation and I'm nervous about missing things (I once had a bus drive by me at the stop 3 times without stopping until someone told me I have to flag them down!).

Please forgive my need for exact directions..carrying my luggage is not a problem. So...

1. I get on the silver line bus at the port that should be clearly marked and near where I get off NCL Dawn? There are no choices to make? Any silver line bus will go to the WTC? There are kiosks to buy tickets or do I pay driver? I thought I read somewhere $5 for two people?

2. I get off at the WTC. Do I need to validate anything? Is it clear which bus to get on to then get to the airport (buses say airport in front)? I have to pay another fare here?

Sorry for being so nervous!

Thanks! I'm not used to public transportation and I'm nervous about missing things (I once had a bus drive by me at the stop 3 times without stopping until someone told me I have to flag them down!).

Please forgive my need for exact directions..carrying my luggage is not a problem. So...

1. I get on the silver line bus at the port that should be clearly marked and near where I get off NCL Dawn? There are no choices to make? Any silver line bus will go to the WTC? There are kiosks to buy tickets or do I pay driver? I thought I read somewhere $5 for two people?

2. I get off at the WTC. Do I need to validate anything? Is it clear which bus to get on to then get to the airport (buses say airport in front)? I have to pay another fare here?

Sorry for being so nervous!

The bus stops near where you get off the Dawn. Ask outside where you should go. I think the official stop is to your left on the other side of the street. Any bus will go to WTC. You pay on the bus. Fare for two is now $5.30.

The only glitch could be whether the SL2 bus from Black Falcon makes two WTC stops (they do coming from the airport). You do not want to get off at what is obviously a stop on the street at WTC. If the bus does that, you want to stay on the bus and it will swing around the block and go into what is obviously a semi-indoor station. Be sure to push the stop button or tell the driver you want to get off at WTC.

No ticket validation is required. At WTC you must cross over to the other side and go in the reverse direction. Buses are clearly marked. SL1 Airport is on the front of the bus. Try to get on the rear door for easier access to luggage storage.

Anyone know how easy is the Silver Line from the port to the airport?

You didn't ask about ship transfers, but just wanted to share that the cost through NCL is $30. Might be worth the extra $25 if you're concerned about using the bus.

Thanks.. I'm not concerned I just want to try it. I always take cabs because we usually have our teens with us and we are pressed for time to make a flight. This time we have lots of time and no teens. I want to try to save a few bucks and get over my nervousness about getting lost :)

Thanks for the directions to the Memorial! :) I'm looking forward to seeing it. It will be a last "tour" before boarding my flight home.

A special note to any family or friends of those who perished on 9-11: I apologize if I sound like an insensitive tourist. I mean no disrespect and am not visiting the memorial as a curiosity-seeker/gawker, but rather because I served in a professional capacity at Ground Zero and the Staten Island landfill after 9-11 and still have wounds in need of healing. It is my hope that visiting the memorial will help bring some closure. <3

Thanks for the directions to the Memorial! :) I'm looking forward to seeing it. It will be a last "tour" before boarding my flight home.

A special note to any family or friends of those who perished on 9-11: I apologize if I sound like an insensitive tourist. I mean no disrespect and am not visiting the memorial as a curiosity-seeker/gawker, but rather because I served in a professional capacity at Ground Zero and the Staten Island landfill after 9-11 and still have wounds in need of healing. It is my hope that visiting the memorial will help bring some closure. <3

You have NO reason to apoligize; actually we need to Thank You for your service. We went to the NYC memorial two years ago and I cried like a baby.

Good Luck and enjoy. Another great Memorial in Boston is the Holocaust Memorial which is near Fanuel Hall. Maybe next time for that.

Edited by emcee207