Boarding time if NOT doing FTTF?

gander24

We are sailing out of Port Canaveral. Before FTTF existed (I think), we would always take the first hotel shuttle between 10:30-11 to get on the ship. Should we arrive at the port a little later since we aren't doing FTTF, or do we still have an opportunity to board pretty early?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by gander24

We are sailing out of Port Canaveral. Before FTTF existed (I think), we would always take the first hotel shuttle between 10:30-11 to get on the ship. Should we arrive at the port a little later since we aren't doing FTTF, or do we still have an opportunity to board pretty early?

Thanks in advance!

Unless Carnival has completely changed their boarding procedures, I believe that anyone that does not have priority boarding is given a zone number. The earlier you arrive at the port, the lower your zone number will be. So obviously, the lower the zone number you have, the sooner you'll be able to board.

Unless Carnival has completely changed their boarding procedures, I believe that anyone that does not have priority boarding is given a zone number. The earlier you arrive at the port, the lower your zone number will be. So obviously, the lower the zone number you have, the sooner you'll be able to board.

Yup, as above. We got to port about 10:45 or so and were onboard by 11:30

There are so many variables when boarding a ship....some terminals are full to overflowing by 10 am, some are still relatively empty. My only advise is how important is a "free lunch" to your own sanity and enjoyment, and how much stuff do you hand carry onboard that you can't (legitimately) drop off at your cabin until 1:30.

My personal motto is arriving so that when I do board it is straight to my cabin for carry on drop off. It's easier to drop off checked luggage, too, when you don't have the hassle of departures and arrivals clogging up the same curbside space. Even if I miss lunch there is usually some kind of food available between 1:30 and late dining at 8. Besides when I board later the elevators are running again...something that works well when you get to be my age. And I make up for that missed lunch when on the last day I have a nice full breakfast and exit the ship when they actually kick me off.

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

The only thing that FTTF did was add another layer of people that board before general boarding- So now it's weddings first, following by Platinum/Diamond/Suites followed by FTTF and then general boarding.. depending on the port, the handicap folks fall in there somewhere either with or after the VIPs as well but that has always been the case.

So bottom line is I wouldn't change my timing of arrival based on the FTTF crowd as it is not all that many anyway and really does not throw off the time line of boarding much.