Drastically changed flight (the sequal)

brian1

Hi,I think this tops Thraks situation a few pages back.We are doing a landtour starting at Fairbanks on 5th Sept.All available flights on this date land in the early hours.The closest sensible combo was LHR to SEA landing at 1.30pm on the 1st and SEA to FAI landing at 3pm on the 2nd both with Delta.We didnt mind this as we overnight in Seattle and booked extra nights in Fairbanks,more chilled.Guess what,Delta cancelled the 11am flight from SEA and put us on the 10pm flight.We could have done this all in 1 day on the 4th and saved all this hassle.The only good thing is we get to chill out more in Seattle,but at our expense,cheers,Brian.

If you call up Delta and ask them to put you on the flight to Fairbanks a day earlier because of the schedule change, they probably will do it with no fee. Airlines change schedules. The final schedule is usually not firm until 60-90 days before departure. Delta is well known for changing flight times more than 90 days before departure.

When they change the schedule, the computer will automatically reroute you on the flight closest to your original departure time on the same day as long as the connection meets the minimum requirements. Sometimes this can result in some weird layovers for international travel or for flights that are infrequent. If you don't want to spend 36 hours in Seattle, you can call Delta reservations and ask to be put on the 9:55pm departure on the 1st. Since the schedule change is more than 4 hours, they should do it even though it is a change of day. Also they may offer you a refund in the fare on your SEA-FAI flight if you say that you cannot accept the schedule change. The SEA-FAI part of the fare may be close to what Alaska charges and then you can simply rebook. Staying on the same airline is usually preferred, but it could be an option. The airport in Fairbanks will actually be quite busy at 1am since it is common for flights to and from the lower 48 to arrive around midnight and have early morning departures around 1 or 2am.

Edited by Roseflyer

If you call up Delta and ask them to put you on the flight to Fairbanks a day earlier because of the schedule change, they probably will do it with no fee. Airlines change schedules. The final schedule is usually not firm until 60-90 days before departure. Delta is well known for changing flight times more than 90 days before departure.

When they change the schedule, the computer will automatically reroute you on the flight closest to your original departure time on the same day as long as the connection meets the minimum requirements. Sometimes this can result in some weird layovers for international travel or for flights that are infrequent. If you don't want to spend 36 hours in Seattle, you can call Delta reservations and ask to be put on the 9:55pm departure on the 1st. Since the schedule change is more than 4 hours, they should do it even though it is a change of day. Also they may offer you a refund in the fare on your SEA-FAI flight if you say that you cannot accept the schedule change. The SEA-FAI part of the fare may be close to what Alaska charges and then you can simply rebook. Staying on the same airline is usually preferred, but it could be an option. The airport in Fairbanks will actually be quite busy at 1am since it is common for flights to and from the lower 48 to arrive around midnight and have early morning departures around 1 or 2am.

Hi,the only problem with the first option is that we would still be in the air from LHR.We booked thru Expedia who informed us straight away and we had the option to either phone them to reschedule or click and accept the change.I done a few dummy bookings and found that our 11am flight was not there anymore and the other alternatives were indirect routes,which although got us there earlier were not worth the hassle.Weve resigned ourselves to this now.I just hope Fairbanks is worth staying an extra 2 nights and it isnt just a 1 horse town,cheers,Brian.

Two horses.

Though about 10 miles north of town, the Turtle Club is pretty good for dining.

Great,would they lend us the 2 horses to get to this place, lol.Ive read the northern lights might be visible this time of year,cheers,Brian.

Hi,the only problem with the first option is that we would still be in the air from LHR.We booked thru Expedia who informed us straight away and we had the option to either phone them to reschedule or click and accept the change.I done a few dummy bookings and found that our 11am flight was not there anymore and the other alternatives were indirect routes,which although got us there earlier were not worth the hassle.Weve resigned ourselves to this now.I just hope Fairbanks is worth staying an extra 2 nights and it isnt just a 1 horse town,cheers,Brian.

It's not difficult to get there a lot earlier. Take Sea to Anc, then just hop on the 1 hour flight from Anc to Fai, that leave very frequently. The Anc/Fai flight is more like an excursion, since the views are spectacular.

Not sure why you added Fairbanks days- without have any plans or know what is there? I strongly suggest you determine how you are going to occupy your time. When you get there it's using up valuable touring time, if you don't have plans in place. An Arctic Circle fly/shuttle tour is an excellent use of time (I never recommend the round trip road tours), or you need a rental car. There isn't a lot of convenient public transportation and a lot of attractions aren't a good choice without a car. http://www.explorefairbanks.

I find it a great opportunity for my travels, and have been there numerous times.

Edited by Budget Queen

It's not difficult to get there a lot earlier. Take Sea to Anc, then just hop on the 1 hour flight from Anc to Fai, that leave very frequently. The Anc/Fai flight is more like an excursion, since the views are spectacular.

Not sure why you added Fairbanks days- without have any plans or know what is there? I strongly suggest you determine how you are going to occupy your time. When you get there it's using up valuable touring time, if you don't have plans in place. An Arctic Circle fly/shuttle tour is an excellent use of time (I never recommend the round trip road tours), or you need a rental car. There isn't a lot of convenient public transportation and a lot of attractions aren't a good choice without a car. www.explorefairbanks.

I find it a great opportunity for my travels, and have been there numerous times.

Hi,thanks for info.We booked extra days as that was the the closest with sensible arrival time we could get,but all that has now gone out the window.I must admit I panicked a bit when the Expedia email arrived and clicked and accepted change.Perhaps I should have phoned and got a reschedule.Not their fault,they have been accomodating in the past when airlines have changed or cancelled,cheers,Brian.

• 2 weeks later...

Early September is a little early for Northern Lights. It'll get reasonable dark, but we don't get below astronomical twilight until sometime around the second week of September. Also, if it matters, most of the ANC to FAI flights are on Q-400 turboprops now although there are a couple of jets. AK Air will have four number flight numbers for the turboprops and only three numbers for the Jets. Actual flight time isn't much different, but the jets have slightly wider seats and they recline. OTOH you get a free beer or glass of wine on the turboprops.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi,thanks for info.We booked extra days as that was the the closest with sensible arrival time we could get,but all that has now gone out the window.I must admit I panicked a bit when the Expedia email arrived and clicked and accepted change.Perhaps I should have phoned and got a reschedule.Not their fault,they have been accomodating in the past when airlines have changed or cancelled,cheers,Brian.

Even after originally having accepted a reschedule, I phoned a week or so later and explained that it did not work for me after all. I was given an option to rebook or get refund.